AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Most underrated footballers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(02-12-2016, 12:41 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with a lot of the names mentioned, especially Galli who isn't often known today.

Riquelme's an odd one imo, I think his peak came at a time when players of his type (traditional playmaker) were in real question. I think had he played during the 90s, he'd have been much more recognised.

Perhaps. Still feel his name is dropped way too seldom and his definitely a player who should be in every "00's XI" there is.

Another player I feel is recognized without being recognized (if that makes any sense) is Juninho Pernumbuchano. Of course he is often mentioned, but this mostly becuse of his godlike freekicks and the discussion tends to ignore the fact that he ws so much more than a brillint set piece specilist. Also was he an amazing playmaker.
First names that come to mind, Milan-wise in the last decade, Abbiatti and Ambrosini.. both were/are devout servants of the club and both were more than capable backups in a star-filled team.
Then, also Milan-wise, to some extent there comes Favalli to some extent. the dude covered for every defender we had in every position though mostly on left back, but again, in a team full of world-class defenders he was way better than the legendary Bonera.

Non-Milan, only name I can think of is Candreva. He's underrated mostly because he plays for a somewhat midtable team in Lazio and the fact that he never shone nor lived up to his club performances on the international stage.
I always thought Miroslav Klose was underrated, he did score for his clubs as well as national team, in fact, one of WC top goalscorers, but was not really deemed star player with his club/NT.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
I think one can argue Morientes is an underrated player. Over 100 La Liga goals for example.
Ancelotti's book has an interesting story about Ambrosini's problems in the mid '00s. So much that he wanted to give up football. Guy is a solid servant to the club tho and so is Abbiati.

I feel bad for Seba Rossi too. The guy holds a solid record and most people would just dismiss it by saying that the defense line in front of him was so good, so the record is no big deal. People forget how good Serie A attacks were back in the day. The heydays of EPL got nothing on Serie A in its glory days.

It is a pity that guys like Donadoni and Albertini as not as well reputed as they should have been while nowadays any decent player who has 1 or 2 good seasons is considered class, especially in EPL.
(02-13-2016, 05:09 AM)edysim Wrote: [ -> ]I always thought Miroslav Klose was underrated, he did score for his clubs as well as national team, in fact, one of WC top goalscorers, but was not really deemed star player with his club/NT.

I don't think he is "one of". Isn't he THE top goalscorers?
(02-13-2016, 04:15 PM)xudong Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think he is "one of". Isn't he THE top goalscorers?
Really? Wow he's so underrated

Klose's a really strange one imo, I don't think he's particularly underrated, as I don't think he's a phenomenal player. I think he's a good player who is recognised as much, but his achievements in his career are pretty outstanding. That said, it's a great story, a guy who can be related to more easily than a guy like Messi, having achieved a great career.

Donadoni's one I'd add to the list. Imo he was a phenomenal player, offering balance in every aspect of the game and was technically a fantastic player. A bit like Billy Costacurta, I think he's recognised as a top player, but I think he was more valuable than often given credit for. I think it's similar for him as a coach, unfortunately for him, his time in the national side tarnished his reputation, where I think other factors put him in a situation where it was difficult to succeed.

Jorginho of Napoli is one I'd add. I think he's been excellent for the side this season and is showing why he was so highly rated at Verona. He's not flashy and he doesn't stand out, but he's invaluable to that side for his ability as a regista.

Finally, Thiago Motta is one I'd say is often underrated. He's often been questioned as to why he's good, but it becomes apparent when looking at what happened to Inter when he left. He offers balance and intelligent movement in a side.
Thiago Motta is a nice example. IMO, Inter sell him is very similar to Real sell Makelele; both team's performance went down after the sales and both buyers, PSG and Chelsea reached new height (thanks to solid foundations). And we can also add Makelele to the list.

About Klose, I think he achieved the best he can.

A little bit off-topic: Jean-Marc Bosman. Bosman rule has helped many overrated players to get rich but the man himself received almost nothing for his effort/sacrifice.
lol, I was thinking Makalele and Busquets as well tbh. Thing is, Makalele literally got the destroyer role named after him after moving to Chelsea (the "Makalele role") and Busquets is so often identified as a player that's underrated, that I honestly don't think he's underrated anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 4