AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Future Of Champions League
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Europe's top four leagues will have four guaranteed places in the Champions League group stage from 2018-19

The top four leagues in the coefficient ranking -- currently La Liga, the Bundesliga, EPL and Serie A -- will have four teams enter the group stage without having any qualification rounds.

The coefficient system will be changed too, to judge on their own records and historical success in Europe, not sure what form this will take yet

This is a start of a change to make sure big teams get more money and not try to form their own super league, the next cycle of sponsorship starts in 2018 (to 2021) so won't be shocked if more 'concessions' are made to big clubs starting in 2018 and then in 2021 too.

Thoughts?
Galliani: "Our aim is top four, to show the world again of our true DNA".
So basically this is the last season where the current system takes place? Next season (2017/2018), whoever finishes top 4 will enter the CL (2018/2019) in the group stages?
I think it's kind of sad seeing stuff like this. I get it's dictated by clubs that have power and ultimately comes down to what the fans want to see, the marquee games between the biggest clubs so to speak, but I just think for all of commercial aspect of the sport, you're losing the value of sport too. This isn't new, it's been ongoing for much of the period I've followed football, so it would be hypocritical of me to say I wouldn't be engrossed if Milan enter the CL again. However, I also miss the days of what it was like when I was growing up, when teams that weren't hugely known and didn't necessarily have massive resources behind them managed to be insanely competitive based on the talent they'd produced at home and where there was much more balance in the competition.
I am 100% against this, even though if does benefit Milan and makes it easier for us to get back into the CL. We should get into the group stages because we deserve it based on our performances on the pitch - not some rule which arbitrarily decides that the top 4 teams in the top 4 leagues will get automatic entry into the groups. The irony is that with how poorly Italy is currently performing in the CL, who knows if we will be amongst the top 4 performing leagues for much longer..
For the past seven seasons, Milan (2013) was the only Italian team that passed CL qualifications round. All the other Italian's 3rd/4th team got kicked out. Quite pathetic for Serie A. They really haven't done enough to deserve four spots yet.
There is also rumour of games being both 19:00CET and 21:00CET instead of all 20:45
I hear there is some ideas that 3 teams (from 4 top leagues) goes through league position and that 4th spot will be like some kind of "Wild card" for clubs which may be not in top 3 teams but have "previous sucess" in CL. I read that in some serbian newspaper ,but can't find confirmation anywhere. Anybody knows something about that?
^^ yes they have mentioned withholding a spot for teams with "historical success" but I don't know exactly how this will be objectively done. More nonsense to ensure that the clubs that UEFA love are never out of the competition.
(08-31-2016, 12:21 PM)Mystik Wrote: [ -> ]^^ yes they have mentioned withholding a spot for teams with "historical success" but I don't know exactly how this will be objectively done. More nonsense to ensure that the clubs that UEFA love are never out of the competition.

If history means decades, that means Milan will have a sure spot in CL for life ... Devilol