AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Winter Transfer Window 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Niang is a useful player, who is being asked to play out of position because, frankly, we don't have another good winger outside of Suso. He absolutely needs to play striker if he ever wants to achieve any success at the professional level. He is big, strong, fast and aggressive, but does not have the ball skills and body movement to be a good winger. I wouldn't say Montella is giving up hopes for Niang just because he doesn't play him as a striker. I mean, we have a couple of very capable strikers already, and Niang not playing there might simply be a numbers game. As bad as Niang is on the wings, can you imagine how well Lapadula and Bacca would do over there?

I think sending Niang out on loan is a good idea in that it would help him regain his form and confidence, maybe even allow him to take that next step in his development. Lord knows, we have no idea how to develop our young players. But I am afraid that if he does leave on loan, we will never be able to get him back again. I think he or his agent said something like that a year ago too. So, if we really do decide on giving up on him, then by all means, sell him out right. But if we still want him to be around, maybe we should keep him around for now.
Selling him outright requires someone offering good money for him. That's not happening at the moment. If it is, than we gotta ask ourselves what can we do with that money in the next 7 days? Because we will need to replace him with another wide player (in order to keep Bonaventura in the middle).

Loaning him out without replacing him right now shouldn't be an option, even if we do get him back at the end of the loan....because even though he is not a great winger, he is not so terrible amd i am sure he will come in handy.

The only reason why I am ok with loaning him to Genoa, is because we would apparently get Ocampos on loan to take Niang's spot. That move alone solves a few problems for us.
1. We replace a player that is not really excelling at the LW spot with someone who is better at that position.
2. Because of reason #1, we simply improve the quality of the squad and its fit to play 4-3-3.
3. We spend no money (yet we improve), because we have no money.
4. Niang doesn't spend most of the rest of the seson losing value, so come June, he can be sold for at least as much as he could have been sold now....only difference is that it's hard to find buyers in January....so we basically preserve his value until the summer when I am sure buyers will be ready to spend.

Also, I am not worried about Niang not wanting to come back after a loan. That's just the way the dice rolls sometimes. He hasn't proved that he should start out on the wing, and the coach prefers others as strikers. I don't see Montella going anywhere this summer so it will probably be Niang that moves. I may be jumping the gun too soon, but it seems inevitable to me. And in all honesty, at some point, we all have to stop talking about potential and look at what's actually on show in front of us.
(01-24-2017, 01:11 AM)porcho Wrote: [ -> ]Send him to China! get them to pay 40mill for him Smile

Anyone can get insane money out of China but Milan! We couldn't even sell Adriano, remember? That alone should be enough evidence to prove Galliani's incompetence.  Angry
(01-24-2017, 01:58 AM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]Selling him outright requires someone offering good money for him. That's not happening at the moment. If it is, than we gotta ask ourselves what can we do with that money in the next 7 days? Because we will need to replace him with another wide player (in order to keep Bonaventura in the middle).

Loaning him out without replacing him right now shouldn't be an option, even if we do get him back at the end of the loan....because even though he is not a great winger, he is not so terrible amd i am sure he will come in handy.

The only reason why I am ok with loaning him to Genoa, is because we would apparently get Ocampos on loan to take Niang's spot. That move alone solves a few problems for us.
1. We replace a player that is not really excelling at the LW spot with someone who is better at that position.
2. Because of reason #1, we simply improve the quality of the squad and its fit to play 4-3-3.
3. We spend no money (yet we improve), because we have no money.
4. Niang doesn't spend most of the rest of the seson losing value, so come June, he can be sold for at least as much as he could have been sold now....only difference is that it's hard to find buyers in January....so we basically preserve his value until the summer when I am sure buyers will be ready to spend.

Also, I am not worried about Niang not wanting to come back after a loan. That's just the way the dice rolls sometimes. He hasn't proved that he should start out on the wing, and the coach prefers others as strikers. I don't see Montella going anywhere this summer so it will probably be Niang that moves. I may be jumping the gun too soon, but it seems inevitable to me. And in all honesty, at some point, we all have to stop talking about potential and look at what's actually on show in front of us.

I agree with you. I am really growing indifferent with Niang.  Dodgy
(01-24-2017, 01:40 AM)slifersd Wrote: [ -> ]Niang is a useful player, who is being asked to play out of position because, frankly, we don't have another good winger outside of Suso. He absolutely needs to play striker if he ever wants to achieve any success at the professional level. He is big, strong, fast and aggressive, but does not have the ball skills and body movement to be a good winger. I wouldn't say Montella is giving up hopes for Niang just because he doesn't play him as a striker. I mean, we have a couple of very capable strikers already, and Niang not playing there might simply be a numbers game. As bad as Niang is on the wings, can you imagine how well Lapadula and Bacca would do over there?

I think sending Niang out on loan is a good idea in that it would help him regain his form and confidence, maybe even allow him to take that next step in his development. Lord knows, we have no idea how to develop our young players. But I am afraid that if he does leave on loan, we will never be able to get him back again. I think he or his agent said something like that a year ago too. So, if we really do decide on giving up on him, then by all means, sell him out right. But if we still want him to be around, maybe we should keep him around for now.

Agree with this. Niang needs to play in his natural position. And I do prefer Lapadula as a sub. So might give Niang a 'go' as starter against small teams/cup (Juve).

(01-23-2017, 11:11 PM)porcho Wrote: [ -> ]agreed. I still think he's got the potential to make it as a striker... he's quick and strong on the ball... he just lacks the required skill and brains to play on the wing effectively... I would prefer we give him a proper go as a striker before we completely give up on him... Aubameyang showed considerably less talent then this bloke and look what happened when someone gave him a go. 

Yes, we've given him plenty of opportunities but almost all have been out wide... Give the bloke a game in the cup out front or a game against a weaker team...

Just my opinion...

Again.. spot on. Niang has been here for 5 years but is still only 22. People tend to forget that. Neither Henry or Aubameyang were successful till they reached that age. Talents show themselves, have a decline in status since living up to enormous expectations are normally not doable and then find their level, which again, can be quite high, look at Aubameyang, Saponara, Darmian, Astori etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supposedly Niang has rejected this plan for now... http://www.football-italia.net/97323/nia...ects-genoa
(01-24-2017, 04:07 AM)kaka*** Wrote: [ -> ]Again.. spot on. Niang has been here for 5 years but is still only 22. People tend to forget that. Neither Henry or Aubameyang were successful till they reached that age. 

I don't see how Niang can be compared to Henry. Who, by the age of 21, had won the World Cup with France as the teams' top scorer, and reached the CL semi final with Monaco as their top scorer.
Niang is awful at decision making , that wont change if he is moved to CF.He is poor 70% of the time when facing players with space on the wing , he"d do even worse with his back to them in the middle with very little space.
I think Niang had his best chance to make his breakthrough at Milan in the first half of the season and didn't take it. I've supported him a lot over the time, and like others I think he's a natural CF, as did Montella back in summer remember. However, he's not grown since joining, or rather, he has periods where he seems to be ready to take the step up, but ultimately regresses again making the same mistakes he made back when he joined as a 17 year old. I don't doubt his potential, I just doubt him ever reaching it at Milan, and so for his career he might be better off making a fresh start somewhere else.

As for comparing him to Henry and Aubameyang, I think it's a moot point, each individual grows at their own pace and a lot of factors ultimately decide if they succeed or not. Henry would have probably been a failure had he stayed at Juve and Wenger not seen qualities in him as a wide forward (he was always a winger before and at Juve even a wingback). Aubameyang wouldn't have succeeded in Milan either, if for nothing else then purely out of lack of space for him. He'd already shown talent in the youth level (I first became aware of him in our Primavera), but it wasn't until he found the right environment in St Etienne that he exploded at the senior level.

That might happen for Niang too, but he needs to find the right set up for him to do it. In that respect, I think going to Torino might be positive for him, given he blossomed under Mihajlovic last season.

On similar point, when Aubameyang was breaking through at Milan, we'd signed Pato. Kind of ironic when you look at how things panned out, I doubt anyone would have guessed Aubameyang would be world class today with Pato struggling to revive his career.
http://www.football-italia.net/97339/mon...s%E2%80%99

Vincenzo Montella confirms Milan forward M’Baye Niang “is considering an offer to change teams” and won’t be called-up for Juventus.

**** And now update.

http://www.football-italia.net/97353/mil...hange-only

Milan confirmed they don’t want to sell M’Baye Niang, but enact an exchange of loans, with Genoa (It’s reported they want Lucas Ocampos, Darko Lazovic or even Giovanni Simeone from Genoa for the next six months.) or a Premier League club.