AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Winter Mercato 2018-2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The only thing limiting us is FFP. We don't have owners like the Chinese who spent too much and went bankrupt, nor like Silvio (obviously in his later years owning the club) who wouldn't invest much @ all.
This ownership has practically unlimited resources if we could use them. Multiple articles say the same. I know that special rules shouldn't apply to Milan, just because of our history. However, I think when we look at teams like City/PSG who are spending disgusting amounts of money we should wonder how that situation works exactly. I'm a bit skeptical. The only reason I can see FFP coming down on us vs. other clubs is because we haven't had the most transparent dealings in the last few years, especially after this disaster w. the Chinese. If one things certain though, Elliott can afford to hold Milan and they won't go broke doing so for as long as they need to.

Anyhow, I was against Piatek but the more big names/reputable sources praise him, and the more I get the opportunity to watch - I do think he has potential to be a big striker in Europe. Especially when I found out he was only 23, I thought he was some 27 year old who they picked up from a small league and is getting lucky. Could very well develop into a top player, and I'd rather have that than an Higuain who is clearly on the decline. His performances have been embarassing.

Apparently we haven't ruled out Carrasco either, I think he adds another dimension to our attack. Paqueta can play in most of Calhanoglu's roles, I'd sell Calha to fund Carrasco if we needed to. Higuain, Calhanoglu out for Paqueta, Carrasco & Piatek is a positive reform imo.

I also agree that we should sell Kessie if 50-60m offers are real. He's an OK player, but tbh Bakayoko has been better and he seems to like being at Milan. I think if we really wanted to we could negotiate his price tag into the 25m range. If not, there's options like Diawara that we can probably pick up for that price tag. I'd invest the surplus from Kessie's sale in Sensi, effectively we'd replace Kessie with one of Diawara/Bakayoko and fill in a gap with Sensi.

Overall, I think there's a lot of potential for us to improve the squad with what we have, or very little extra on top. My concern is less than two weeks left of the mercato.
Ah we wont get any better by signing mediocre players. Piatek had only one good half season at Genoa. I have my doubts here.
New contacts took place this evening between Leonardo and Club Brugge to sign the Belgian club’s Dutch winger Arnaut Groeneveld [@NicoSchira]
(01-19-2019, 11:33 PM)artand Wrote: [ -> ]Ah we wont get any better by signing mediocre players. Piatek had only  one good  half season at Genoa. I have my doubts here.

It is too soon to say if Piatek is mediocre. During his first half season in Italy he has been outstanding with 4 shots on goal per game (Higuain had 3,6 shot on goal per game in his last season in Napoli). Unless he is told to do it less it is hard to imagine that he will suddenly become less prolific with us in the same league.

We have to take chances with unestablished players because we can’t afford to buy an entire team of proven players. On top of that we don’t have the same allure as most of the top teams, we can’t offer the chance to play Champions League and we haven’t been a championship contender for several years now. Signing proven players like Bonucci and Higuain cost us a fortune but in retrospect hardly seem to have been worth the investment. Instead we should invest heavily in our scouting so that we can sign tomorrow’s star players because any established player on the rise will be out of our reach as things stand.
Genoa are not interested in Halilovic, the only player who could be included in the deal for Piatek is Bertolacci. Hopefully Halilovic could still go to Turkey then.
Carrasco seems complicated for economical reasons. Negotiations for Arnaut Danjuma Groeneveld.
It seems gazidis is not convinced about piatek cos he's more like cutrone than a player like sheva
I don't buy this. Why would Leonardo spend several days negotiating for Piatek if Gazidis wouldn't have sanctioned the move.

This Gazidis thing keeps coming up about every player we are linked to. Not sure what exactly is going on, but as a CEO, Gazidis should keep himself out of the players we are following. Of course, he can step in if he sees something fishy going on, but fact of the matter is that Leonardo, Maldini and Moncada are responsible for the sporting sector. Where Gazidis has a say, is the money we spend. He has to keep everything in control.
(01-20-2019, 01:58 PM)Reso Wrote: [ -> ]It seems gazidis is not convinced about piatek cos he's more like cutrone than a player like sheva

Gazidis gave the OK for Piatek
(01-20-2019, 02:20 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]This Gazidis thing keeps coming up about every player we are linked to. Not sure what exactly is going on, but as a CEO, Gazidis should keep himself out of the players we are following. Of course, he can step in if he sees something fishy going on, but fact of the matter is that Leonardo, Maldini and Moncada are responsible for the sporting sector. Where Gazidis has a say, is the money we spend. He has to keep everything in control.

Micromanager