AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Summer mercato 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Paolo Ghiglione has interests from AC Milan and Fiorentina. He plays for Genoa, 23-year old, and his contract expires in 2021. (Tuttosport)

Nikola Milenkovic is Milan's choice of the center-back position. Pioli knows him from his coaching days at Fiorentina. (il Giornale)

Atalanta shows interest in Lokomotiv Moscow's midfielder Aleksey Miranchuk who is also on AC Milan's radar. The player could cost a fee between €18M-€20M. (SportMediaset)

Sources close to the negotiations confirm that new contacts from The Rossoneri would happen in the next few days regarding the deal for Barcelona's Emerson. (Mundo Deportivo)
As things stands Milenkovic is the first pick for the CB position, with Mussacchio and Duarte departing. Gabbia probabl staying put as back up.
Really disappointed if Milenkovic ends up being the CB choice. Never really impressed by him. But that'a fine. Kjaer-Romagnoli it is then. Milenkovic is not better then either one, but I guess is a solid choice and better then Duarte/Gabbia. I'd argue if he's better then Musacchio. But at least he's younger and can still improve.
(07-27-2020, 07:57 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]Really disappointed if Milenkovic ends up being the CB choice. Never really impressed by him. But that'a fine. Kjaer-Romagnoli it is then. Milenkovic is not better then either one, but I guess is a solid choice and better then Duarte/Gabbia. I'd argue if he's better then Musacchio. But at least he's younger and can still improve.

and plus he is very expensive 30+ and Paqueta swap deal has long been off cards. Wesley Fofana should be the guy we must try man. He is impressive
I think we should be aiming for someone that's either just as good as Romagnoli/Kjaer now....or someone that has a lot of potential with the view of slowly taking over one of the CB spots (ideally Kjaer, so fhat we can have the new signing and Romagnoli be the long term pairing).

Imo, Milenkovic is neither. I don't think he's better then either Kjaer or Romagnoli. At the same time, I don't see anything in hom that tells me he'll be able to take over from one of them in the future.
So even though he'd provide a decent option off the bench.. that's not what we should be aiming for. We have bench options. We have Musacchio. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't even thing this guy is better then Musacchio. So what's the point of dishing out cash for him when we have someone of similar quality here already.
(07-27-2020, 09:04 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]I think we should be aiming for someone that's either just as good as Romagnoli/Kjaer now....or someone that has a lot of potential with the view of slowly taking over one of the CB spots (ideally Kjaer, so fhat we can have the new signing and Romagnoli be the long term pairing).

Imo, Milenkovic is neither. I don't think he's better then either Kjaer or Romagnoli. At the same time, I don't see anything in hom that tells me he'll be able to take over from one of them in the future.
So even though he'd provide a decent option off the bench.. that's not what we should be aiming for. We have bench options. We have Musacchio. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't even thing this guy is better then Musacchio. So what's the point of dishing out cash for him when we have someone of similar quality here already.

I don't get your point, are you talking about getting a very young defender at cheap who will replace Kjaer after a few seasons, well then I can list more than 10 guys but of course no one will consider it I think you are getting carried away by Kjaer performances, idk if you know that Kjaer has a history of injuries in previous clubs(Sevilla especially), he isn't injury prone nor fittest guy but surely not a guy which u can expect to play 30+ league matches flawlessly, every second Milan game I read some reports of muscle pain/knock/knee problems/back problem but still somehow he magically gets well on the matchday, do u think you will go with him as your first choice next season? I know that the Kjaer-Roma pair have after a long time have produced quite a stability at back and people are not eager to change the duo but if you have studied Evolution, those animals who didn't change with respect to time have vanished from the face of the Earth.... and the same rule is applied everywhere in society and Italian clubs know that quite well...

I am not the biggest fan of Milenkovic but comparing him with deadwood like Musacchio is laughable, I was expecting this guy to be thrown out of club ASAP but Rangnick departure might ignite lovers of old average players in the management, as u can see Bonaventura renewal is again on cards who was first to depart. 

The best thing we can do to prevent any defensive crisis next season(without wasting too much of money) is to sign a free agent like Verteghon or Robin Knoche or Malang Sarr, every one of them has their own advantages and disadvantages to considers if we sign them but I Knoche is realistic one to sign as he is 28 and doesn't have big competitions(which is in case of Sarr), Verteghon is also realistic but yeah he is too old, slow and high wages, and someone considers Thiago Silva then his wages all combined will equal to wages of all our deadwoods.
(07-27-2020, 09:56 PM)Sleeping Giant Wrote: [ -> ]1)
I don't get your point, are you talking about getting a very young defender at cheap who will replace Kjaer after a few seasons, well then I can list more than 10 guys but of course no one will consider it I think you are getting carried away by Kjaer performances, idk if you know that Kjaer has a history of injuries in previous clubs(Sevilla especially), he isn't injury prone nor fittest guy but surely not a guy which u can expect to play 30+ league matches flawlessly, every second Milan game I read some reports of muscle pain/knock/knee problems/back problem but still somehow he magically gets well on the matchday, do u think you will go with him as your first choice next season? I know that the Kjaer-Roma pair have after a long time have produced quite a stability at back and people are not eager to change the duo but if you have studied Evolution, those animals who didn't change with respect to time have vanished from the face of the Earth.... and the same rule is applied everywhere in society and Italian clubs know that quite well...

2)
I am not the biggest fan of Milenkovic but comparing him with deadwood like Musacchio is laughable, I was expecting this guy to be thrown out of club ASAP but Rangnick departure might ignite lovers of old average players in the management, as u can see Bonaventura renewal is again on cards who was first to depart. 

3)
The best thing we can do to prevent any defensive crisis next season(without wasting too much of money) is to sign a free agent like Verteghon or Robin Knoche or Malang Sarr, every one of them has their own advantages and disadvantages to considers if we sign them but I Knoche is realistic one to sign as he is 28 and doesn't have big competitions(which is in case of Sarr), Verteghon is also realistic but yeah he is too old, slow and high wages, and someone considers Thiago Silva then his wages all combined will equal to wages of all our deadwoods.

1) I don't want a young guy that will need 2 years to cement a first 11 spot. So I think you misunderstood my point...as you said. Okmilan
I want someone good enough to be in the first 11 RIGHT NOW. I don't care how old they are (as long as it's not someone that's so old that we only get a year out of them). If this is a very young guy that is good enough to start now, but also hasn't reached his potential yet, then great. Even better. If not, that's fine. But it has to be someone good enough to start NOW. Having said that, whether he does or not, whatever. What matters is that we'll have 3 starting material CBs in the squad. Kjaer may always be carrying a knock or something, but he's always on the field one way or another. Regardless, I want the 2 best performing CBs to play. If that's Kjaer and Romagnoli come October, fine. If that's Romagnoli and the new signing, fine. If that's Kjaer and the new signing, fine again. I don't care. We need quality in the squad so that Romagnoli or Kjaer, or whoever else is injured or out of form...we have adequate quality to step in. 
This whole "first choice" thing you talk about is not like quarterbacks in the American Football or goalies in Hockey. There is NO set starters. It can vary from month to month, depending on form. I understand CB is one of those positions where you want chemistry and a lot of changes are not great....so i'm not saying change the CBs every game. But the point is, we need quality to replace those that don't perform. 
So no, i don't see Kjaer-Romagnoli as the "first choice" CBs. I see Kjaer, Romagnoli and the NEW CB as 3 players that will fight it out to see what the best CB duo is. Therefore what i'm talking about is exactly that...evolution. What's not evolution is having 2 starters and everyone else bench material. It means you will never improve your starting 11.

2) Calling Musacchio deadwood is crazy. He is what he is....and what he is, is bench material. For me, Milenkovic is the very same. BENCH material. So why replace 1 bench material player with another. Either buy someone that can challenge the current starting CBs, or don't buy anyone at all. THIS, would be evolution. we go from 2 players capable to start, to 3. We've effectively evolved and improved on the whole. Otherwise, Milenkovic in, Musacchio out = status quo.

3) I'm in for Vertonghen. When compared to our current starters (Kjaer and Romagnoli), he is on the same level. It goes along with the #1 point I made above. He's someone that can challenge them and essentially be part of the starting CB duo. But keep in mind that he's 33 and since you were complaining about Kjaer being injury prone....Vertonghen isn't too much better. 
I've never seen Robin Knoche so I can't comment. How many times have you seen him play?
On Malang Sarr. I don't know. Again, how many times have you seen him play? He's a free agent now and nobody is biting. I don't know why this is. I haven't seen too much of him, but it's weird nobody is going in for him.

Let me just say that, signing players for the sake of signing them, does nothing. Several years ago, Musacchio was considered to be (theoretically) the perfect partner for Romagnoli because he was explosive, could cover ground and has speed to correspond to Romagnoli. He was great at Villareal. People were posting videos of him marking Messi, Suarez, etc. That was it. We had gotten our guy. Now, we all want him out. (myself included.....but I don't want to replace him with Milenkovic). I think sometimes fans see only a couple games of other players, or some youtube videos...and all of a sudden, THE GRASS IS GREENER, and our players suck. I am NOT for keeping Musacchio, let me make that clear. But I have seen enough Fiorentina games to know that Milenkovic is not going to win the fans over. He's on the other side of the fence now...so the grass must be greener since we are all so frustrated with Musacchio. But fact of the matter is that if he comes here, 2 years from now, we'll be calling for his head too.
I have seen this sooo many times in the past. 20 years on this board...i can tell you countless players that were the "flavor of the month", only for them to become nobodies in a year or two. It's actually hilarious looking back on that. I myself have been guilty of that multiple times.
we havent seen musachio play much after new year, is it right? he was injured i presume .
(07-27-2020, 10:50 PM)Artan Wrote: [ -> ]we havent seen musachio play much after new year, is it right? he was injured i presume .

I believe he was injured when Kjaer first came. He then came back from injury, but Pioli preferred Kjaer over him. Musacchio may have played a few games, but never did enough to take the starting place back from Kjaer. Then COVID happened, then he was injured again. So yea, you are more or less right. He was injured for majority of the time...but even when he wasn't, Kjaer was preferred.
I think Musacchio was given plenty of chances in the past seasons, but has never truly convinced us. I don't mind keeping him as a backup if we can't find a better replacement, but he should certainly never be a starter again if we had any ambition.