AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Current squad - what work is needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Agree with Gabriel on this. Every era must come to an end, and every management team must adapt with the times. Every single member of the old G20 have revamped their management and philosophies in the past 10 years, we've been living off of a dead formula which might have worked 20 or even 10 years ago, but will not work now because we've changed all the policies without changing the mindset of those who are suppose to implement those policies.

We need more young blood in management. Barbara won't be able to do it all by herself. We need respectable people who aren't afraid to change things up, or to speak up when things aren't working. The saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind. Milan are definitely broken, and definitely in need of fixing. See how things turned out for Barca when Joan Laporta first came in? An unknown businessman with nothing but love and ideas for his team. Granted they finished second in the league that year, but what has happened ever since has been a decade-long dominance both at home and abroad. Change may never be for the better, but no change will only make you as good as you were before, whilst everyone else tries to get better. Stagnation is even worse than attempted progress.

I for one would welcome Maldini with open arms. Him and his family are THE symbol of Milan, and they've been here for even longer than Berlu at that. Its time to bring in all the old boys and see what they can do for us. Many of them have expressed their support, lets see that put into action for once.
(11-06-2013, 05:44 AM)Gabriel426 Wrote: [ -> ]The reason of someone who had done alot for Milan is no reason to keep them there. I am sorry to say, it is always time for people to step down or retire if they can't perform their job.

Say all you want about Berlu being cheap....but as GM or director of Football or whatever his title is, there are more duties than signing players. Getting better marketing deals, think of new way to get more sponsorships, taking advantage of expanding the Milan brand to Asia when Milan was CL champ, and market the team better when they still have great players like Cap, Nesta, Pippo, Sheva, Silva, Ibra....Just to name a few.

I am sorry but Gallaini had fail in the business side of Milan. All he ever talks about is balancing the books and bad contracts....but the fact is that he was responsible for all the bad contracts. He could complains all he wants about not enough money for this and that. While that might be true, but had he done anything to generate income beside playing friendly matches?

We can give him credits for striking lowering transfer fees for players, but he is also to blame for all those sellable contracts.

His failure in having a strong scouting team as well as lack of youth development are two of his other failures.

I am not saying he is crap today bc he is apparently soon to be gone, but I always said that Galli and the MGT are not doing their jobs to generate income. On top of that he really gave out too many bad contracts.

I agree that change is inevitable. Almost no businesses can succeed in doing exactly the same practices for so many years and the current management looks like they've reached a point where they won't be able to suddenly modernise.

That said, Galliani has been good in recent years in increasing our commercial revenue and sponsorship deals, but ultimately I agree that it's too late to be satisfied when we know we should have done this (along with the rest of Serie A) years ago. I wasn't saying this for too many years, but that's because I was too young to really understand or have an interest in the business side of things. That and these things were much less transparent in the past.

By the way, on another point, this isn't aimed at you specifically, but I've noticed a lot of people often refer to Galliani as "Galli" in posts. While I understand what you mean based on the context of the post, I must say it is often confusing as often think you're referring to Filippo Galli, the head of the youth sector (and ex-player).
(11-05-2013, 07:53 PM)honsano Wrote: [ -> ]Man just listened to that beyond the pitch link above. Those guys lays the hammer down on Milan. So sad to hear about the club history then them mention the current roster with players like Birsa, Constant, Zapata and the list only goes on.

@Geotav -- I don't really agree with your wanting to buy a big vs small club. Milan, to be perfectly honest, is a giant steal. You compare our commercial revenue per year (285M) vs Barcelona's (805M) or our match day profits (112M) vs Barcelona's (563) and you realize that the brand AC Milan is just being mismanaged. I realize we haven't been as good in the past 5 years as Barcelona on the field but with a shift in focus to at least better marketing there is so much revenue to be gained that it is unbelievable. That revenue is only there because our name though. Smaller teams take years and years to build that sort of brand.

I got those numbers from the forbes ranking for sporting clubs btw. Looking at how little money AC Milan bring in from commercial ventures is really just ridiculous. It was not but 6 or 7 years ago that we were a top 4 world club. If we attempted to just match half of Barcelona's we would be able to finance our own stadium in a few years.

I wrote a lengthy post to respond to you and accidentally closed the tab before posting Sad

I'll try to summarise my points though:

BTP is presented by Anto who is a hardcore Milan fan and Marcotti (a respected journalist) was an Interista growing up, but says he no longer supports anyone. Anyway, what they say is sadly true.

I think Geo made fair points, mostly because of the risk involved with investing in a major club like Milan. Yes, the rewards are potentially huge, but just look at the Glazer's at United to see how detrimental the PR can be if you don't meet the demands. Just to note, this is after the Glazer's have had success since taking over.

Then we need to look at the bigger picture. Serie A as a product is poor right now. Interest is waning, fans don't come to stadiums and the local revenue streams/infrastructure barely exists (i.e. stadiums, shops, restaurants etc).

compare this to the EPL, which is a great product with various income streams. Commericially it's huge and for an investor, surely there are more opportunities to get what you want there compared to Italy, where the restrictions imposed by the product and the authorities limit potential growth.

Bundesliga is another which would have been great to invest in over recent years. However, complications there are that the clubs are majority owned by communities or fans (i.e. public). This is great news for German football actually, because they're economically more stable as a result.

France has less risks than Italy and as a product isn't far from Serie A either. Just look at tv coverage and French football get's nearly as much as Italy. However, the tax hikes to 75% means foreign investment will likely be put off in future, limiting more opportunities like PSG and Monaco. Qatar group (PSG owners) got burnt by the tax increase and now have to deal with it, while Gazprom were smart in choosing Monaco, as the tax laws aren't the same for them.

Some might say that Roma has had foreign investment, but from I understand Di Benetto had a personal interest for the ownership. By the way, the figure of 700 million seems farcical to me, as I can't see anyone looking to spend anywhere near that amount for the club.

Essentially, I don't think we can even think about external investment in the immediate future, as this is part of a bigger fight that we need to take on with the help of the other clubs to reform Serie A. Even with the issues I've mentioned above, other nations are still potentially better investments than Serie A right now, really giving weight to how bad the situation in Italy is right now. Until there is a major reform in Italy, it's hard to see significant investment in Serie A.

However, before that can happen, we need to get our house in order, as our current management in the club can only be described as shambolic.

Anyway, I tried to summarise what I wrote before, though it lacks the detail I went into earlier.
(11-05-2013, 07:53 PM)honsano Wrote: [ -> ]Man just listened to that beyond the pitch link above. Those guys lays the hammer down on Milan. So sad to hear about the club history then them mention the current roster with players like Birsa, Constant, Zapata and the list only goes on.

@Geotav -- I don't really agree with your wanting to buy a big vs small club. Milan, to be perfectly honest, is a giant steal. You compare our commercial revenue per year (285M) vs Barcelona's (805M) or our match day profits (112M) vs Barcelona's (563) and you realize that the brand AC Milan is just being mismanaged. I realize we haven't been as good in the past 5 years as Barcelona on the field but with a shift in focus to at least better marketing there is so much revenue to be gained that it is unbelievable. That revenue is only there because our name though. Smaller teams take years and years to build that sort of brand.

I got those numbers from the forbes ranking for sporting clubs btw. Looking at how little money AC Milan bring in from commercial ventures is really just ridiculous. It was not but 6 or 7 years ago that we were a top 4 world club. If we attempted to just match half of Barcelona's we would be able to finance our own stadium in a few years.

The problem is you forget something : when a new very rich owner comes, especially from abroad, the trend nowadays is to also negotiate with the city to have the rights to build in the city and also invest in the city to become the owner of some very high revenue buildings. They don't care about the revenue of the stadium for most of them. Look at Monaco, they have a 15000 places stadium (or even less), and they hardly have more than 6000 people in the stadium, even with their new team, and in most of their home games, there used to have more supporters of the away team than the ones of Monaco.

What has to be known about Monaco, and it was the same for PSG, is that the new owner bought the club and said he would make the club big ONLY if they can also buy other buildings (hotels, etc). Monaco has become a Russian city while QSI owns a lot of things in Paris now.

They aren't there to earn money, but to spend it and have a good image, which will help them to get more revenue, not thanks to the club, but thanks to the other infrastructures they buy.

It was, if I'm not wrong, the reason why the rich owner of Malaga (high revenues thanks to its position in Spain, it's a holidays destination) left ... The city didn't want to sell anything to him/them, and as a consequence, they left the club.

Chelsea is maybe the exception among these clubs as Abramovitch really seems to care and support that club, but I have no doubt the guy also owns other infrastructures in London.

Milan could easily turn into a good investment if the club ends around the 10th place of Serie A for 2-3 years in a row ... Then we'll not be labelled a big club anymore, we'll probably lose most of our good players, and finally, some very rich owner could arrive, buy the club and negotiate with the city to be allowed to buy other infrastructures in the city.
Good points all. I like the Milan discussion but our tortoise like movements still make me sad none the less.

Anyway, I'm hoping that with this 'revolution' Milan and Serie A as a whole take an increased focus on the US for revenue. Over the past decade the two have been increasing ties more and more with former stars coming to MLS and a couple of US players going to Serie A (I even heard Gilardino and Quagliarrella are looking to come next season). Then there is Roma with their American interest. American football is being battered in the news and as more US kids play soccer I think there a massive investement potential for the future here. I envision MLS being almost like the second league for certain Serie A clubs. Maybe an AC Milan B team Smile Maybe former Milan stars go there to retire?
When people are happy that Bonera is back, you know something is terribly wrong.

The only change I want right now is a new coach. Allegri may still be a good tactician (not convinced, but don't want to rule him out totally), but he is a terrible motivator on and off the pitch. With a new coach, we then could start addressing all the "micro" issues, such as teaching central defenders how to defend; teaching some fullback how to defend; teaching some fullback how to cross; teaching the captain how to lead; and so on. Facepalm

If Allegri stays while there will other "major changes", I fear for the worse, such as the sales of Balotelli, El Shaarawy or de Sciglio (least likely, but still). Soon enough, Matri would be our biggest star, joined by Cossu, Biondini and Lazzari. Devilconfused No, Nainggolan will be playing across the town for his new Indonesian boss. Devilconfused
Almost every season for the last few, November arrives and I feel pretty sad about our current state of affairs, team not doing to many good things and it's about this time I think it would be bet not to get to champions league so we can rebuild next season. I mean just look at some of the team that haven't got into Europe recently. Anyway, Christmas and new year arrive and team slowly starts to get results, eventually to the point where WE MUST get into champions league, just look at last season so was a bag of nerves till the very end. My point is, as hard as it is to think, would it not be better to actually not qualify, come to realisation we need changes and then take things from there? I mean should a miracle happen and we qualify again, will it not just prolonge the inevitable for next season? I get to emotionally charges when it come to milan, like most fans about there own teams.
If it means reforms within the club take place and we stop deluding ourselves that we're working towards something sustainable when clearly we're hanging on a loose thread then sure, not making CL would be beneficial.

The question is will there be change? The teams who haven't been in CL and have grown in recent years have all taken significant steps to develop and grow their sides/clubs. Teams like Napoli, Fiorentina, Roma and Juve all took the opportunity to restructure and develop a project.

If we don't make CL, then it's only beneficial if it acts as the trigger for change. However, as things have been over the past few years, that change won't happen and we'll just fall further into the problems.
I really dont know how we are going to bankroll the changes we need, without the champ league Balotelli and Ses are most likely gone in the summer. It would have been better if Milan got 4th place last year, the management really needed to be punished for selling our best players off and not investing.

Until we have a clear strategy and increased revenue we wont have a 'team' but a collection of players who were only signed because they were free or trouble makers. The next cycle will take even longer to build..

I wonder what the curva will do if we dont win on sunday?
Not beating the dead last team (Chievo) would be an insult, seriously it would.
I higghhhllyy doubt we'll lose vs Chievo *knock on wood*. I think (HOPE) the players have enough pride not to let that happen. I see us eventually comfortably securing a Europa League spot for next year to be honest. Then hopefully ring in the changes during the summer...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16