AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: FIFA 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Against the advice of my good friend who told me that he loves PES's gameplay this year, I got FIFA once again.

I must say that so far I am quite pleased. The game has a more physical aspect and the players appear to make smarter runs off the ball. One annoying aspect is getting used to how players sprint now because you'll end up losing possession very often if you aren't careful.

I also want to try out this Fifa Ultimate Team this time around. Heard it is quite fun and I am gonig to use this edition of Fifa to test it out.

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding the new fifa? (or pes)
I played PES ever since it was called International superstar soccer, up until last year when I finally got tired of afwul menus, same old masterleague (like has it changed at all for the last 6-7 years?), fucking player ratings (Milito 92, Balotelli 86, for example, in pes 2014. last year seedorf was 94 i think) and even though the gameplay was way better than fifa, i decided to switch.

after the career mode bug in fifa (it would just freeze at some date), i firmly decided to return to pes.

and then they switch to this new physics engine where the laws of physics only apply on your team, opponents can run, stop, push as they wish...

looks like fifa again this year for me.
I've not got either game this year and doubt I will, because they're clearly being designed more for next gen and I'm also saving for a PS4. I have had a play of both and personally still think FIFA's quite a bit ahead.

First of all, I don't think FIFA 14 is much different to the last one, despite the new Ignite engine, but it's just a little more polished and some of the improved animations etc mean that players feel more realistic. That said, the one issue I always have with FIFA and still seems to remain is the AI is odd at times. The team just opens up ridiculously with no one picking up opponents and it seems impossible to stop opponents as your team's defending becomes almost comical. Maybe it's just realistic given our defending this year Devilol Personally, I'd also really like the game to just be slowed down a bit too. I know this is probably something that most fans, especially casual players, wouldn't like, but I feel the pacing of the games are a little too quick and therefore a touch unrealistic. Another general point is the new shooting physics and shielding the ball mechanic feel minor (though welcomed), rather than something that's likely to significantly change how the game plays.

PES on the other hand looks impressive with the new Fox engine, graphically superior than FIFA now, though does suffer some sticking and frame rate drops (mostly outside of gameplay, so not really a big issue). Gameplay wise I think it's improved a lot, with the focus on passing through in midfield quite impressive. They've apparently made big improvements for AI and off the ball running, and while this can be seen at some moments, at others it seems your teammates are just running into the wrong place and aren't at all useful. The controls (predominantly movement of the players) feels a little clunky imo, feeling less responsive than FIFA for sure. Same also goes for the directional control of passing/shooting etc. At times I found my pass would go to a teammate (direction is generally a little automated in games), but at others the free passing mechanic prevents me doing the same pass, resulting in me giving the ball away. These aren't big gripes, but I do think PES in overall gameplay is still behind FIFA, though has enough improvements to feel like it's catching up.

One general issue I have with both games is the floaty controls. I think it's due to the increased number of animations over the years, but the movements and controls in general feel less precise. It's something that's minor but if improved imo would make a major difference.

I don't think either game's a bad purchase, though personally I feel FIFA is still ahead of PES. Just to clarify, I'm not biased to either franchise, as I've regularly switched between the two over the past 20 years.
One thing I already hate about this new FIFA is how they have tried to capture players' momentum during the game. For example, I would run down the line and do a normal fake shot cut back to open some space. My player would take ages to regain his footing for me to continue playing.

They improved the offensive AI somewhat with my players making smarter off the ball runs into space. The defensive AI is a little better as I ntoice my players quickly pressing to win the ball back when it's lost. Like Dev said though, they also leave some players wide open and make some silly decisions at times.

Dev: I believe if you buy the ps3 version of FIFA, you can return it for the ps4 version within a set time frame (possibly 2 weeks or so). Not sure where I read that..may have been Best Buy or something. I'm going to wait a year or so before I buy my ps4. Let all the bugs get fixed and the gaming library expand a bit.

I've also realized that with their new mechanics, it makes it quite hard to play the ball through the middle. Nothing is quite as reliable anymore as I find my passes are sometimes perfect and sometimes way off the mark, leading to a counter attack. I started with a 4-3-1-2 but may switch if I find that it's not ideal.
(09-27-2013, 05:56 PM)Mystik Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I already hate about this new FIFA is how they have tried to capture players' momentum during the game. For example, I would run down the line and do a normal fake shot cut back to open some space. My player would take ages to regain his footing for me to continue playing.

They improved the offensive AI somewhat with my players making smarter off the ball runs into space. The defensive AI is a little better as I ntoice my players quickly pressing to win the ball back when it's lost. Like Dev said though, they also leave some players wide open and make some silly decisions at times.

Dev: I believe if you buy the ps3 version of FIFA, you can return it for the ps4 version within a set time frame (possibly 2 weeks or so). Not sure where I read that..may have been Best Buy or something. I'm going to wait a year or so before I buy my ps4. Let all the bugs get fixed and the gaming library expand a bit.

I've also realized that with their new mechanics, it makes it quite hard to play the ball through the middle. Nothing is quite as reliable anymore as I find my passes are sometimes perfect and sometimes way off the mark, leading to a counter attack. I started with a 4-3-1-2 but may switch if I find that it's not ideal.

I haven't really encountered the momentum stuff, mostly because I've not played enough of the game, but agree with the other points, except maybe the through ball stuff, which I feel is quite similar (again, I may be wrong as I've had limited play time).

Sony is pushing the initiative about upgrading games to the PS4, so FIFA is probably part of it. Bear in mind I live in the UK, so no Best Buy here, but I'm sure we'll have our equivalents.

Speaking of next gen though, a little off topic, but I must say I can't understand why anyone would really consider XBox One over PS4 at this point (also if like me you don't have the time or money for both). The whole DRM stuff Microsoft announced and has since gone back on suggests they've completely changed direction to what they wanted to do and the new direction feels like firefighting rather than following a concept.

Sony on the other hand have always made their policy for the next generation clear. They focus on games, gamers and working with developers for the best gaming experiences. They have all the additional social and entertainment stuff (uploading game vids and Netflix etc.), but the focus is games.

If you actually look at what the PS Eye/camera (don't think they call it Eye Toy anymore), it doesn't appear to be massively behind kinect after reading up on what it can do. It may not be of the same quality, but until I see regular use of Kinect in gaming, I really have no interest whatsoever in it.

When it comes down to it, consoles are about games. With the exception of Titanfall (which will almost certainly come to PS4, as the developer won't commit to long term Xbox exclusivity), the lineup of games on PS4 looks more varied and interesting imo. Especially with the support Sony give indie games, which if anyone's played Journey, Walking Dead, Unfinished Swan or Guacamele, is nothing to underestimate.

Sony has also yet to announce their major developers for next gen. Naughty Dog (the team behind Uncharted and Last of Us) haven't announced their next project, neither have Sony Santa Monica (God of War) or Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo). If this generation is anything to go by, PS4 will generally have better exclusive games than Xbox (nothing to suggest otherwise so far either).

Finally Playstation Plus is awesome. The PSN Store interface might be rubbish, but the games you get for free on PS Plus makes it worth it. Just to give an idea, I only signed up recently (a couple of weeks ago) and during that period Uncharted 3, pretty much all of the Assassins Creed games, the Jak and Daxter trilogy, Xcom, Far Cry 3, Stealth Inc (a highly rated Indie platformer/stealth game) and Dragon's Dogma have all been free. Bear in mind this updates every month, so this is mostly stuff from just September/October. I also got Infamous, one of the best PS3 exclusives free on a PS Plus trial in the past. I seriously regret not getting this sooner, as quite honestly for £40 for the year (average sort of price for one game in the UK), you can probably get away with not buying any games all year and be satisfied with the games you get for free.

I'm aware I probably sound like I work for Sony or something, but it's just at this point I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't go for PS4.

Back to point about FIFA 14, I'll probably wait as I have a lot of games I want to get through anyway and the changes aren't significant enough for me to warrant a purchase.
I've been running into more and more bugs as I have started my career and put some more time into this game. Twice I've the game freeze on me forcing me to quit the game and restart. One quite comical situation was where one of my players actually became invisible for a couple minutes. Made it quite hard to play as you can imagine.

I have also found that my players are sometimes smart yet other times quite unintelligent. Balls hitting them in the face or leg without an attempt to control, great passing at one instance and then absolutely garbage passing 2 minutes later. It is quite frustrating especially as I know that my passes were quite accurate on Fifa 13 but I'll have to get used to it now.

This game definitely emphasizes build up play so you have to slowly build up from the back and use the wings a lot more than in previous editions of the game. I've had plenty frustrating moments but I still enjoy it when the game runs smoothly.

Regarding the PS4 v Xbox, I think the majority of people who buy the new X-Box have probably owned Microsoft systems in the past and are sticking with what they're used to. One regret that I have with my PS3 is not signing up for Playstation Plus but I won't make that mistake on the PS4!
Ah sounds like you've hit quite a few bugs, hopefully they'll patch those soon.

If it was a small investment, then I'd understand people not reading up first, but for something that's $500 on a piece of kit that's likely to last you up to 10 years, then you'd think people would research first before spending.

is the crack out yet Big Grin ? enjoying nba 2k14 in the meantime, its AWESOME
rofl I am actually not surprised. The goalkeepers in Fifa are the dumbest creatures that I have ever seen
Pages: 1 2