AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: World Cup 2018 Russia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
(07-06-2018, 09:36 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ] Neymar's no where near close to those guys or Kaka (who I'm adding as he's a more recent star). Neymar's an outstanding talent, but his attitude is his biggest issue. First and foremost he needs to get out of PSG, he needs to play in a club where he's not just the star and allowed to do what he wants.

I'm also going to go a step further and say the hype around Messi and Ronaldo is also too much. Messi's an incredible player and undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, but I don't think he's comparable to Maradona as some try to say he is. Likewise, I think Ronaldo goes down in history as one of the greatest, but again I'm not sure we're talking about him being the level he's hyped to be.

I think part of it also comes down to the fact that I think the modern game tends to skew the qualities of individuals. The attacking players today are so well protected that they're given an advantage over defenders that players in the past haven't had. Likewise, I feel fundamentally the art of defending now plays second fiddle when developing talents. It's great that teams have quality ball playing defenders, but then when those players still make the most basic of defensive mistakes it only serves to further give the advantage to attackers.

I'm not saying the modern game is poor or terrible, but I think that there are flaws to how the game has evolved in the modern era meaning teams have lost qualities and the stability from previous generations. This is particularly evident when you see how unpredictable cup competitions are these days, like we saw in the past year's CL games or even in this world cup so far. Even Brazil, who were up till today arguably the most solid looking side in the competition, completely lost their head in the first half and gave up the stupidest of goals or opportunities to Belgium.

Oh my.Ive been saying something like this for ages.I also think the quality of the top players is lower than it were even 15 years ago.I mean theres the same 2 players fighting for the Balon D'Or for a decade.Its ridiculous.Its not that long ago you'd have Figo Zidane Sheva Ronaldo Rivaldo Kaka Ronaldinho and on and on trading it year in year out.
You cant tackle anymore , you cant shoulder someone.If say A big 6'5 90kg player LEGALLY goes shoulder to shoulder with a Neymar or Messi or Salah and legally wins the challenge with no foul , theyre likely to get booked as the smaller player will look like hes been hit by a truck even though it wasnt a foul.
Defenders midfielders overall I think they quality is way down on what it once was.Maybe Im just an old fart but when I really got into football at 7/8 in 92/93 up until the mid naughties football was great.I couldnt get enough.Now I can take it or leave it.Has money ruined it ? Maybe , have agents ? Maybe.Im not begrudging anyone what they earn.But the amount of players who never truely unlock their potential and play their whole career without progressing beyond the ability  they had when they were 18 is scary.I'll use Verratti as an example , heres a guy that has all the talent and natural technique in the world.A guy that could go down with the likes of say Pirlo Xavi or Iniesta but instead here we are 9 years after he burst on scene he's nearly 26 and he still plays like that 18 yr old kid I couldnt wait to see mature.He just the same as he was when he joined PSG 6 years ago.
(07-06-2018, 09:05 PM)reza Wrote: [ -> ]Martinez genius use of De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku...wide and pulling defenders on counters.

Dont forget he insists on bringing Feilanni instead of Nainggolan.. forcing the latter to retire from int scene
Brazil's finishing and their lack of collective defending int he first half let them down as they were the better team overall. In the second half they played some really sexy football. I was sure that this would be Neymar's World Cup but he has utterly failed, given the standards he has set in the past.

It baffles me why Firmino was on the bench as Jesus has been pretty sad all tournament. Makes me wonder, how good Brazil would be if Diego Costa had decided to play for them.
(07-06-2018, 09:36 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also going to go a step further and say the hype around Messi and Ronaldo is also too much. Messi's an incredible player and undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, but I don't think he's comparable to Maradona as some try to say he is. Likewise, I think Ronaldo goes down in history as one of the greatest, but again I'm not sure we're talking about him being the level he's hyped to be.

I agree with this. Maradona is so revered coz not only did he carry Argentina to a WC, he also carried a Napoli team when the Serie A was the strongest league, much tougher than the top leagues nowadays. Messi on the other hand has repeatedly failed with Argentina. Ronaldo at least carried Portugal to a Euro title but even then , I won't consider him as good as Maradona. 

Winning titles is not easy and that, along with the manner in which titles are won, is what I use to judge a great player. Not mixing it with, who is the "best" player. IMO, Ronaldo is a greater player simply based on how regularly he keeps winning and grinding out performances. CL, Ballon d'ors. Especially the latter. When Messi won in 2015, everyone was sure that Ronaldo would never bounce back and win it again. And he went to win it twice again. 

Still, Maradona is the greatest.
Darn. This Sweden team must be one of most toothless sides ever. Once they are one goal down, you just know that they are finished.

England is so lucky.
(07-07-2018, 04:54 PM)xudong Wrote: [ -> ]Darn. This Sweden team must be one of most toothless sides ever. Once they are one goal down, you just know that they are finished.

England is so lucky.

Should ve brought Ibra along. Its not like they have many star players in the team who can make the diff Ibra does. Those england fans will start bragging Football is coming home. So annoying..
I only agree to some extent. I thought the coach did the weight thing for leaving out that guy. The team chemistry may be ruijed. Plus, with Ibrahimovic, who knows they may not be able to get out of the group. Big Grin
England are lucky and how. Fuck, the English fans are gonna be insufferable for the next 4 years if they win.
(07-07-2018, 06:26 PM)somedevil Wrote: [ -> ]England are lucky and how. Fuck, the English fans are gonna be insufferable for the next 4 years if they win.

In fairness nost are level headed , I work witg a few English lads and theyre well aware they hit the lotto with Spain & Germany vanishing from their side and that Croatia or Russia Belgium France are all well capable of beating them.France Belgium wity ease.Its just the ones we hear are their pundits who are some of the worlds most unprepared unknowledgeable football fans and the loud twats online.
I must say I totally disagree with the views of the England side and fans. I don't normally support England as I tend to agree with views about how hyped the sides are. However, this time around it's been totally different. I live in England and the expectations around this side were close to nothing. No one believed in Southgate and this was thought to be the weakest England side in a very long time. Reaching the quarter final for most would have been deemed a successful tournament and even the press did nothing to hype up the side. Instead Southgate has been pragmatic and tactically solid and the players have been disciplined and working as a team. It's not a great team and people have acknowledged this, but this time round there's a totally different atmosphere about the side. It's not arrogant as previous years. As for singing "it's coming home", that was the England team song from Euro 96 when England hosted the competition. It became a massive hit at the time and considered a football anthem for the nation.

Now getting back to the competition, I think England put in a solid and professional performance against a solid Sweden side. Don't forget this side knocked out Italy and only lost to the Germans with the final kick of the game.

Croatia scraped through again but it'll be interesting against England who unlike Russia and Denmark surely won't close up shop and will potentially leave more space for modric and rakitic. The big question is Croatia's condition going into the match. Having won the last two games on penalties surely leaves them exhausted.

Both semi finals are poised to be great games and what's really interesting is how balanced they are.

This world cup hasn't brought anything new to the table and the quality is somewhat questionable as I said in my post yesterday, but in terms of entertainment it's been outstanding.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37