AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Milan Management
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gazidis' position and plan for Milan may not be popular, but it is needed, in all honesty. This team has been signing these experienced players and tried to make them work with existing young players for years now, and the results have been awful. The reality is, we can't actually sign the superstars of the world who would make a difference, and the Tier 3, Tier 4 guys we do sign are probably not worth the time anyway. This team has needed a complete and total rebuild for years now, and looks like next year might be the year they actually do it. If Leo and Gattusso do not like that path, then I don't know what to say to them. Looking around, this type of young player strategy has worked wonders many times over the last decade or so. Think of teams like Monaco, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Benfica, Tottenham and Ajax. Those teams achieved tremendous success using this strategy. The ultimate reality is, until we get our financial issues addressed, this team does not have a path to the glory days of past no matter what. Now I certainly hope we can keep around guys like Romagnoli because of their importance, but the rest of the "senior players" can all leave for all I care.
It should be noted that we're only going to be a selling club for a couple years max until we get out of FFP issues
Excerpts from Gazidis exclusive interview with Gazzetta dello Sport which will be published tomorrow:

“Ideas, talent and solid base, like that we will bring Milan back to the top. And I want Maldini as the technical director.”
(05-29-2019, 12:30 AM)AC_Troy Wrote: [ -> ]Excerpts from Gazidis exclusive interview with Gazzetta dello Sport which will be published tomorrow:

“Ideas, talent and solid base, like that we will bring Milan back to the top. And I want Maldini as the technical director.”

We have talents and solid base, just lack the S.M.A.R.T ideas.
(05-29-2019, 12:30 AM)AC_Troy Wrote: [ -> ]Excerpts from Gazidis exclusive interview with Gazzetta dello Sport which will be published tomorrow:

No better time than this to 'lead the team' once again, Capt.
(05-28-2019, 11:35 PM)slifersd Wrote: [ -> ]Gazidis' position and plan for Milan may not be popular, but it is needed, in all honesty. This team has been signing these experienced players and tried to make them work with existing young players for years now, and the results have been awful. The reality is, we can't actually sign the superstars of the world who would make a difference, and the Tier 3, Tier 4 guys we do sign are probably not worth the time anyway. This team has needed a complete and total rebuild for years now, and looks like next year might be the year they actually do it. If Leo and Gattusso do not like that path, then I don't know what to say to them. Looking around, this type of young player strategy has worked wonders many times over the last decade or so. Think of teams like Monaco, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Benfica, Tottenham and Ajax. Those teams achieved tremendous success using this strategy. The ultimate reality is, until we get our financial issues addressed, this team does not have a path to the glory days of past no matter what. Now I certainly hope we can keep around guys like Romagnoli because of their importance, but the rest of the "senior players" can all leave for all I care.

maybe after all Gazidis is right. I honestly hope he proves skeptics (me) wrong

Of course he wants Maldini. Question is, is Maldini a fool enough to accept?
[GdS] Gazidis: "Let's face it: Milan were saved. The ownership inherited a club that could not pay its debts. €220m was paid to the club to supply it with capital and meet its obligations. Failure to do so would have meant bankruptcy and the risk of relegation."

Gazidis: "Three key points: 
1) Economic reorganisation, ability to generate profits + reinvest them 
2) Increase quality of team, bringing it back to top of Italian + European football 
3) Finding the right solutions for the stadium: whether it is San Siro or a new stadium."

Gazidis: “Elliott never set a time limit. Anyone looking for a magician who snaps his fingers, opens taps full of money and resolves everything won’t find it here. There have already been enough illusions and lies. The story of unfulfilled beautiful promises is over."

Gazidis: "Right balance between quality young players + those who have leadership + experience. Our strategy is not to invest in top players or those who have already been, but in who can become one with us + will not burn our funds for just one season. To build for the future."

Gazidis: "Leo has decided to leave and live new challenges. No conflict, but the maximum respect for him. I have no words to describe Rino: an extraordinary man who took on full responsibility for the season. Perhaps too much. He made a choice of great honesty."

Gazidis: "I never thought of Campos. I want Paolo Maldini. He is ideal to manage the technical area. In the case of Maldini he must not come to Milan, he is Milan. I don't want to think of other options as I'm waiting for Paolo's decision: then we will look at coach and players."
Frankly I'm on the fence. Gazidis said about finding "the right balance between quality young players and those with leadership and experience". But apart from Bonucci and Higuain, hasn't that always been the case the last two seasons? Those two names in retrospect might seem like self-indulgence now. But the rest of the signings are just that: a mix of young and experienced players.

Sure there are more misses than hits but that happens. If there's something that I'd like to change is F&M's decision to embark on spending-spree a couple of years ago. In hindsight, it was mistake. That's why Leo took a more cautious approach especially in the last winter mercato where our two new signings in Piatek and Paqueta added instant contribution to our team. They didn't come cheap but that's just the way the market works now.

We already have good young players like Donnarumma, Romagnoli, and Calabria. Adding one or two names max per year like that is not too much to ask. So if that's the plan, why would Leo leave?