AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Milan Management
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My concern is that if we're talking about selling then what does that mean for January transfer market? There's clear gaps in this squad. For example, Kalinic is useless and we need a real goal scorer so are we going to be able to address that? If we're already talking about selling players does that also mean we cannot buy any players as well? If that's the case this season is a write off. Would be nice to start off the new year with a new reputable coach and a couple of additions like a real regista to put Biglia on the bench & someone to replace Kalinic ASAP.
If we do have to sell say Donna Suso Silva (as we'll get most for them) then you can bet there wont be any even reasonable spending.You dont sell to balance books and the go and spend €60/€70/€80/€90m on new toys.
This season cant be over fast enough.Itbwas meant to be a real year zero but its turned into a shit show.After all the fanfare of the summer Milan are an afterthought and still irrelevant in the football world.
The ownership situation is bizarre , I guess we'll get a real indication if theres any serious worrys when we see UEFAs decision.
(11-21-2017, 10:13 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]In theory this will weaken us as we're probably likely to sell Donnarumma or Suso, but at the same time we're massively underperforming this season and so even if we were to sell these guys and not replace them with the same quality, in theory at least we should still be challenging for CL places.

Agree...look at Napoli Lazio and Samp...on paper they don't have WC player..but performs better and higher position than Milan in league tables..
It's combination of capable Coach and team chemistry...
(11-22-2017, 02:34 AM)WCmilan Wrote: [ -> ]My concern is that if we're talking about selling then what does that mean for January transfer market? There's clear gaps in this squad. For example, Kalinic is useless and we need a real goal scorer so are we going to be able to address that? If we're already talking about selling players does that also mean we cannot buy any players as well? If that's the case this season is a write off. Would be nice to start off the new year with a new reputable coach and a couple of additions like a real regista to put Biglia on the bench & someone to replace Kalinic ASAP.

Selling doesn't necessarily mean not buying imo, it means we're working with a limited budget but I wouldn't necessarily say to expect the same as we've seen under Silvio where we sell and don't replace adequately.

I don't think any of us can expect a major market in January, there's been a lot of rumours going round that the club have no real intent on acting unless absolutely necessary. I personally never expected a massive market in January and in the mercato thread have always said I think a pragmatic market is enough. No action at all isn't the end of the world, we had a massive market in the summer.

There are gaps, but it shouldn't stop us being competitive. The hope is Montella starts getting his act together and actually starts turning results.

(11-22-2017, 09:37 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: [ -> ]If we do have to sell say Donna Suso Silva (as we'll get most for them) then you can bet there wont be any even reasonable spending.You dont sell to balance books and the go and spend €60/€70/€80/€90m on new toys.
This season cant be over fast enough.Itbwas meant to be a real year zero but its turned into a shit show.After all the fanfare of the summer Milan are an afterthought and still irrelevant in the football world.
The ownership situation is bizarre , I guess we'll get a real indication if theres any serious worrys when we see UEFAs decision.

I think you're being too pessimistic. Things aren't good now, but that doesn't mean the project won't end in success. There were always going to be difficulties this season and while it's been worse than hoped, patience is needed to turn around the mess.

Selling and spending less doesn't necessarily mean there's no money, it it equally likely to avoid sanctions from UEFA and while there are loopholes, it's not bad for the management to be prudent at a delicate time.

On UEFA's decision, I wouldn't be sure it's indicative of our ownership situation. As mentioned, they will scrutinise the club's financial health, not necessarily so much the owners of the club.

Let's see what happens with this situation without making assumptions. Unknowns are worrying, but there's little point fretting and jumping to conclusions.
Connecting what Forbes and others are saying to what is happening on the pitch is not correct. There is no relation at all, I am sure no banker is looking at one season of no CL and pulling out. If Li has no money he has no money it is not about being 4th or 18th in November.
On a nicer note Kaka could be come a director or get some other role at the club very soon.
(11-22-2017, 02:09 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're being too pessimistic. Things aren't good now, but that doesn't mean the project won't end in success. There were always going to be difficulties this season and while it's been worse than hoped, patience is needed to turn around the mess.

Selling and spending less doesn't necessarily mean there's no money, it it equally likely to avoid sanctions from UEFA and while there are loopholes, it's not bad for the management to be prudent at a delicate time.

On UEFA's decision, I wouldn't be sure it's indicative of our ownership situation. As mentioned, they will scrutinise the club's financial health, not necessarily so much the owners of the club.

Let's see what happens with this situation without making assumptions. Unknowns are worrying, but there's little point fretting and jumping to conclusions.
Maybe I am.But there is enough shit going around about the ownership non of it good.Now is it all true ? No most certainly not but is some if it true I really dont know.But from Lippi GDS looking into it  to Maldini to reports out of China to BEIN sports Forbes the Guardian and the NY times and all the Italian media its a lot of doubts and ? Marks .
Its not all just outright lies theres something that just doesnt sit right about this whole deal.We'll probably never know.If they balance the books by selling but remain trying to make Milan what it once was then that will happen.If the sell that will happen and if the worst case scenario happens then so be it.

I say the UEFA ruling will give some clue to Milans future not how much money or owner or owners (thats it we dont even know if its him or more than him if its a consortium or not nothings clear) have or dont have.
I dont have a very positive feeling about how its panning out and dont think the we dont know si no point in worrying or thinking about the countless negative stories id the way to think either.Maybe some cautious thinking.
Agree reza, you're totally right and that's part of the point I'm trying to make. On Kaka, I actually think he's a natural fit for a directorial role in the future (if not at Milan, then elsewhere).

Jay, I totally agree there are a number of factors about this deal that leave alarm bells ringing, that's not in question. As soon as I heard Elliot were involved it left me very concerned about our finances. Journalists in this respect are totally right to speculate about our situation and it will garner attention because of the strange situation and the size of the club.

Asking questions is fine, I think where we need to draw the line is not to overreact to what's speculated and wait for more concrete answers.

A lot of these articles in the press repeat the same things over and over, they also keep referencing one another to compound the questions of the situation. Take the Forbes article yesterday, half of it was simply citing other sources on what they've written. The point of the article is to say that there is a possibility of one possible outcome becoming real (a ridiculous sentence I know, but that's what it was). It's a piece to garner speculation and I have doubts the writer of the article is actually any more clued up on the situation or about how football governing works any more than us fans. I say that on the basis of how the article was written and unclear interpretations of UEFA's role in all of this. I actually go as far to question how well the writer actually understands the subject matter.

The problem is people read this stuff, see it reported on places like Football Italia and make the assumption this possible outcome is now more likely than another outcome. In reality, the guy simply gave an opinion on what he thinks could happen, basing it on little definite evidence and making some assumptions or educated guesses based on the previous track record of similar situations.

Is it possible this happens? Yes. Is it a more likely outcome than any other? Not really, no one has enough knowledge to prove this is the case.

A lot of the press are talking about the October 2018 deadline with the deal with Elliot. However, it's important to bear in mind a lot's been said about the future of that deal too. For example, Fassone not too long ago said things were on track to pay off the debt well before the deadline. More recent news in the press is that the owners are refinancing the deal by moving away from Elliot and striking new deals with other firms for 4 year deals.
Those are all fair points and make sense.
(11-22-2017, 09:37 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: [ -> ]If we do have to sell say Donna Suso Silva (as we'll get most for them) then you can bet there wont be any even reasonable spending.You dont sell to balance books and the go and spend €60/€70/€80/€90m on new toys.

Not saying you are wrong in saying thay we won't spend much as only time will tell.....but the fact that we might sell some of the players you mentioned will not be an indication of that.

The way I understand Fassone's comments, are that if we don't make the CL we might have to sell a player or two.....but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't spend. If we sell Donnarumma for 75mil cash (in order for the clause to be active, it has to be a 1 time payment and not installments), we can easily use 50mil of that to make up for the "no CL projected losses" and use the other 45mil to sign players. 

45mil is not much, but keep in mind that this summer we signed 200+mil worth in players with "only" 50mil. The other 150+mil is installments that will happen in the future.

This is why selling Gigio for 75mil for example can do both.....balance the book and strengthen the squad. Is it a risk and again putting all the chips on CL qualification and raise in revenue in future years?? Absolutely. But that's the way it has to be. 

This is why just because Fassone says we might have to sell a player in case of no CL, it doesn't mean "no notable" signings. 

Now...if we had a bunch of Palettas, Kuckas, Polis, etc....that had very little market value....then surely you can't do both (balance books and strengthen)....but we have a couple of players in the squad whose sale value could potentially do both......one of those players being Donnarumma because of that clause that will in all likelyhood be paid in 1 (or at most 2) payments

Of course.....all of what I have said is contingent on the financial stability of our owners. Something that right now seems to be up in the air. Not only that, but also their commitment to the long term future of the club. If they are committed, then I don't see why they would just sell and not strengthen. Makes no sense especially when so mich is dependend on CL revenue and exposure. If we don't make the CL this season, then surely the initial plan will have to be ammended (like selling Donnarumma for examole)....but that should only be done with the viee of continuing to strengthen the squad.

I have confidence that there are others behind Lee. Fassone seems to know what he is doing and he has done an exceptional job so far. Hopefully all the articles that are coming out are nothing more than opinions, as right now as Dev has said, there is no concrete facts of anything. The only facts we have is that Lee (and whoever else) has somehow found 1bil Euros to buy the club and invest in it already. I doubt any broke person would be able to do this....even if 300mil of this is a loan.