AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Summer mercato 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To be honest, I think it would be better if Ibra didn't come. He would ensure short-term success, but he is the kind of player who requires the rest of the team to play for him. When he left in 2012, everything simply collapsed, and I think it was partly because we had a pretty average team that didn't know how to win without him. I think it would be much better for us to just build a solid team, signing players who will fit into Miha's system and do well at the club for at least 4-5 years.
Wiesel is a better player than Soriano... Soriano is good but not the quality we need someon better
Ibra is apparently not going to happen after PSG's owners asked him to stay. It was fun while it lasted, but at the end of the day, we can't win games with fantasies. Without Ibra, I do think we need to find better ways to utilize Menez, Cerci and Niang. Bacca and Adriano both have limitations when play outside the box, so those wingers/secondary strikers can go a long way in balancing out our attack, provided they are utilized properly of course.

Fun rumor of the day, we are apparently bidding 30M for Kovacic. Now I don't want to sound like an a-hole and brag, but I called this a couple of months ago after we lost Kondogbia and Inter was talking to Liverpool regarding Kovacic. In fact, I even said we should offer 30M to Inter for Kovacic in this forum.

All kidding aside, Kovacic would be an interesting player for us. He is more skilled than Witsel and is like 20 years old, so has a lot of room to grow still. If we can land him, this could turn out to be a Pirlo 2.0 type of situation.
the difference is pirlo come really cheap and kovacic will come at a price
I'd rather we spend 30M for an attacking midfielder like Kagawa, Draxler, Juan Mata, or even Nasri. Kovacic is a great player, but he's tainted with Inter colors so i wouldn't like him Big Grin

But since the mercato is over in two weeks, I think we'd be lucky if we even see one more signing. Miha said in an interview a while back that he's waiting for one or two more players to come, which was Romagnoli and most likely Ibra. Now that Romagnoli has arrived and Ibra won't come, I think Miha isn't going for anymore players.

Going back to €30M on Kovacic, if we do have that kind of money, Toni Kroos is rumored to leave Madrid since he's unhappy with Benitez and Madrid are supposedly considering a 30M offer from Liverpool. I say that Kroos can be our gift if he really is leaving for that price. Give him a huge wage and I'm sure he'll come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think Inter will sell us Kovacic.

Kroos is completely out of range for us right now. I think he is out of range for Liverpool to if I'm honest. Chelsea, City, Man U....those are the teams he might go to. But I don't think any one of them is actually looking for a CM. I don't think he'll move, and definitely not to
Milan.

When it comes to Kroos level of quality players, the only one that we have a shot at right now and that might be on the move (and I know some don't agree) is Gundogan. Dortmund WILL sell at the right price, and the player WILL come to Milan with the right offer.
(08-15-2015, 02:13 AM)sylrus Wrote: [ -> ]the difference is pirlo come really cheap and kovacic will come at a price

€18 million wasn't that cheap for Pirlo, although it turned out to be a great deal for us.
I could care less how much we pay for a player as long as he delivers results. Whether we signed Pirlo for 18M, 100M or 0, it was the player's performances that made the difference for us, not his price tag. If Kovacic can deliver anywhere near Pirlo's level, 30M is a small price to pay.

I also don't think it's impossible for us to sign Kovacic. Up until this point, he has been a bigger name than performance for Inter. He has been hyped up as the next big thing midfielder, but hasn't necessarily always delivered to the hype. Of course, a large part of that is due to his age, but still, he would have a very hard time finding playing time on Man U, Chelsea or Bayern. Inter has spent a lot of money this summer, and they were already in FPP trouble even before the spending spree. If the offer is right, I have no doubt they would sell him to us. We just have to be the highest bidder is all.
Kovacic would be a fantastic signing, VERY talented player in my book. But I doubt inter will sell to us. They still got Pirlo, seedorf and others in their mind.
On Kovacic, I think he'd be a great signing, I'm a big fan of his. I think he's wasted at Inter, especially as a traditional regista, because it restricts his ability to drive forward with the ball. I think he'd be an excellent mezzala, though he's not a complete player at this point of his career.

(08-14-2015, 11:13 PM)WCmilan Wrote: [ -> ]Wiesel is a better player than Soriano... Soriano is good but not the quality we need someon better
(08-14-2015, 06:32 AM)WCmilan Wrote: [ -> ]Like I mentioned previously. What Witsel offers is undervalued and rated. Miha seems to want a very fast very high press team. A team that suffocates their opponent and is physical and aggressive in front of goal. Witsels short passing and coolness under pressure and quickness in his passing is so vital in that type of game. His ability to recover possession is even more remarkable. He won't add anything fancy, and won't be a 'pirlo' type player but Miha doesn't seem to want that and I think we'll be just find with out it.

Ok, I don't want to pick on you here, because your argument is one which is very similar to what many people are saying. However, please tell me what makes Witsel so good? People talk like he's going to be a massive improvement in midfield for us and I just don't understand why. I do think he's a good player, but I don't see anything to suggest he will be as good as people think.

His passing seems to be his strength, which is fine and really genuinely something we need to improve on. However, his passing is that of a player who keeps things ticking and flowing in a match. He won't be a protagonist, one who will contribute to the end product to a move, but he's one who can help the build up of a move. Thing is, Soriano can also do that pretty well (he's often been used as an AM in his career so it's harder to judge). You talk about Witsel's ability to recover possession, but he's never particularly impressed me in this. He's physically impressive, but he's never struck me as a dominant force in midfield. To back this up, Soriano has just as good, if not better, statistics in this regard.

I don't want to make this a Soriano vs Witsel debate, but basically Soriano gets written off very quickly, while Witsel is made out to be some sort of world class player. Again, this isn't aimed at you specifically, but I've seen it so much now that it bothers me a little, as I see two players who can potentially contribute a lot, but neither offers any sort of guarantees imo. On Witsel, I will say (and I think this is a fair comparison to what you were saying) he reminds me of Thiago Motta. A player who can improve a team with their consistency and understanding of positioning. That said, I think Thiago Motta is quite a bit better, especially because of his intelligence on the pitch.