AC Milan Forums - Unofficial
AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - Printable Version

+- AC Milan Forums - Unofficial (http://www.milanmania.com/forum)
+-- Forum: AC MILAN (http://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: UEFA Champions League & Europa League (http://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) (/showthread.php?tid=248)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - GeoTav - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 10:28 AM)tello Wrote: ..Sagrin What a way to go.
Your Pitch was less than impressive.
just thick green thatches soaked in salty water and low-fat butter smears.Sagrin that was about the only creative etho you could have on the night. who did that.?

Let me have a good laugh at the Ref>..Devilol or not. 2 CLEAR PENALTIES stolen from us. You frustrated us beyond our back-holes things started itching just a little. Then again, your rusty injury come-backs of Robinho and Boateng showed how jiggly their kicking legs cold get, (how dissapointing in a blunt position and clear on goal-not affected by any element, well..except the butter surface)

2nd leg, will gurantee one thing. an excellent playing carpet.Okmilan

What a fair-play guy you are ... So if Barcelona didn't win yesterday, it was because of the pitch and the referee : OK !! Angel

The pitch of San Siro is a problem for everyone, even our players don't like it ... But Milan and Inter are unable to agree on a solution, so as far as it will be this way, the pitch of San Siro will be awful (anyway, it's been worse in the past).

I read somewhere that because of the pitch being watered on the sides, Barcelona didn't attack on these sides and made no cross ... The statistics are clear : Barcelona, among the 8 qualified teams, has been the team making the least crosses since the start of the competition. So I don't see how the pitch caused problems to the Barcelona players who, as a consequence, only attacked in the center of the pitch ... They play this way most of the time (making 180 passes around the area and then, when there is an open door, entering the area to attempt to score).

About the injured players, don't worry too much for us, they will be stronger in a week (I cross my fingers, with what happened during our whole season, we could lose some other player this week end Undecided) ...

Oh, and despite the bad pitch and the terrible referee (weird, I was quite angry to see this guy whistling each time a Barcelona player was falling, foul or not ... He also gave a yellow card to Keita only, when the foul of Messi or Puyol was worse than the one of Keita, but let's not try to debate about that), you can't deny that your boys were stopped by Antonini, Bonera and Ambrosini (Nesta and Mexes didn't make many big saves, they were more into getting the best position to avoid the Barcelona players to enter the area) !! Antonini is good at best (for once, he was very good), Bonera is the 4th-5th choice CB and the 2nd-3rd choice RB, he's usually a calamity (for once he was very good too), and Ambrosini isn't a starter anymore. Despite all the reasons in the world, Barcelona, with only Villa (who wouldn't get a starting place nowadays) and Abidal missing, should have beaten us so easily with our "second choice" players and "coming back from injury" legs ...

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - tello - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 10:51 AM)GeoTav Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 10:28 AM)tello Wrote: ..Sagrin What a way to go.
Your Pitch was less than impressive.
just thick green thatches soaked in salty water and low-fat butter smears.Sagrin that was about the only creative etho you could have on the night. who did that.?

Let me have a good laugh at the Ref>..Devilol or not. 2 CLEAR PENALTIES stolen from us. You frustrated us beyond our back-holes things started itching just a little. Then again, your rusty injury come-backs of Robinho and Boateng showed how jiggly their kicking legs cold get, (how dissapointing in a blunt position and clear on goal-not affected by any element, well..except the butter surface)

2nd leg, will gurantee one thing. an excellent playing carpet.Okmilan

What a fair-play guy you are ... So if Barcelona didn't win yesterday, it was because of the pitch and the referee : OK !! Angel

The pitch of San Siro is a problem for everyone, even our players don't like it ... But Milan and Inter are unable to agree on a solution, so as far as it will be this way, the pitch of San Siro will be awful (anyway, it's been worse in the past).

I read somewhere that because of the pitch being watered on the sides, Barcelona didn't attack on these sides and made no cross ... The statistics are clear : Barcelona, among the 8 qualified teams, has been the team making the least crosses since the start of the competition. So I don't see how the pitch caused problems to the Barcelona players who, as a consequence, only attacked in the center of the pitch ... They play this way most of the time (making 180 passes around the area and then, when there is an open door, entering the area to attempt to score).

About the injured players, don't worry too much for us, they will be stronger in a week (I cross my fingers, with what happened during our whole season, we could lose some other player this week end Undecided) ...

Oh, and despite the bad pitch and the terrible referee (weird, I was quite angry to see this guy whistling each time a Barcelona player was falling, foul or not ... He also gave a yellow card to Keita only, when the foul of Messi or Puyol was worse than the one of Keita, but let's not try to debate about that), you can't deny that your boys were stopped by Antonini, Bonera and Ambrosini (Nesta and Mexes didn't make many big saves, they were more into getting the best position to avoid the Barcelona players to enter the area) !! Antonini is good at best (for once, he was very good), Bonera is the 4th-5th choice CB and the 2nd-3rd choice RB, he's usually a calamity (for once he was very good too), and Ambrosini isn't a starter anymore. Despite all the reasons in the world, Barcelona, with only Villa (who wouldn't get a starting place nowadays) and Abidal missing, should have beaten us so easily with our "second choice" players and "coming back from injury" legs ...

It was an episode of Un-luck protrusions to both sides, and I m'm sure half the un-luck of your side, you shall admit was self-fetched. Our performance was less than aggressive (not too close to our usual way of play) so we were conservative for obvious reasons.

You must agree Abbiati was more than just "Horriffic". He'd saved less than one good hold and not come back on a rebound to claim for a second ball catch. This cannot re-occur in Spain or the ball travels faster on short-cut grass there. Let us discuss not the (penalty claim) but ignore it just as it is. However, your Antonini, Bonera & Ambrosini worked harder than the donkies of Tibet and yield many good credits for a goaless draw. A result that could easily have produced some 2 -2 all draw and some more excitement.

Your defence came out tops, more than our trickery and tiki-taka of Xavi & Messi even Alexis speed was curbed by Antonini. (this was impressive denials to concede by Milan)...at one time it reminded me of RMA vs FCB Classico of '09 in Spain. Holding out a passing side and sending looping balls forward to catch a counter. (if only Ibra was Ronaldo) It is a danger we have to curb at 2nd leg.

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - ACMILAN1983 - 03-29-2012

Personally, outside of a win where we didn't concede, I think this is the best result we could have hoped for. Basically it leaves the tie in the balance, but all the pressure is now on Barca to play a great game at home to win. However, they will always be in the knowledge that any goals conceded leaves them in a nightmare position.

As for this match, we have much to take away from the game, as we played on par with Barca, even if the stats don't completely suggest that. They dominated possession, but this was always going to happen, while our approach was to play direct attacks although we didn't always do this too well, I think mostly because we didn't always play with the freedom and clarity that we do other matches, probably due to the occassion and also due to the opponents.

Barca's approach was pretty normal, as they played with a back four, but with Alves pushing up it became a back 3 with Pique man marking Ibra. Essentially, they started with a 3 man midfield, but as Alves pushed up, they changed shape to a 3-4-3 with essentially a diamond midfield. Their attack was Iniesta, Messi and Sanchez. Iniesta's a great player, but he's not a left sided attacker and Sanchez often stayed quite central. This resulted in only Dani Alves providing width (Keita didn't push up wide on the left), meaning Barca struggled to stretch us.

Our approach was simple, we held our shape with our defence and midfield 3, and Boateng dropped back to support the midfield to ensure we weren't overwhelmed in midfield. Robinho seemed clueless with his role, and it resulted in a terrible performance that massively impacted our attack, as he wasn't sure exactly where to move, whether to support the midfield or look to break into spaces in attack. He was key as with Boateng needed deeper, he was our link from midfield with Ibra up front, but he never did this, and essentially just stayed central and in the wrong places.

What we did really well was break our pressing into two stages. The first was up high, as when Barca tried to play out from defence, one of our midfielders would push up to try and win the ball (Robinho's and Ibra's chances were a direct result of this). If this failed, the side stopped pressing temporarily and regrouped to press again in our half of the pitch. Great concentration was needed to do this, and the players did it almost perfectly during the match.

The first half was interesting, as we initially seized control of the match and played our gameplan. Unfortunately, Robinho's miss and later Ibra's hit us hard and Barca started to get a foothold in the match, taking control after around 20-25 minutes. After that, we defended and looked a little afraid, with Seedorf constantly having to tell the others to push higher to relieve pressure in deep parts of the pitch.

In the second half, we were much better, playing a little more open and less afraid to have a go at Barca. We maintained our defensive structure, but players were playing higher up the pitch, and it was runners from deep (which we need to see more of next week) becoming our biggest danger, as Urby and Nocerino both broke through only to waste great chances. We need to be more clinical in front of goal, as Robinho missed his usual "my gran could've scored that" chance and Ibra missed a chance he'd take 95% of the time. Nocerino missed a great chance, choosing to try and pass rather than shoot with clear sight at goal and Urby miscontrolled when clean through, although it'd be unfair not to mention the pitch played it's part on this one.

Barca can claim they were unlucky with the ref, but in all honesty, the ref was generally poor, with us getting a lot of bad decisions. Ambro gets yellow for kicking the ball away, but then one of the Barca players does the same with nothing shown? Also, I think Antonini was on the floor getting kicked by 3 Barca players yet nothing was called and the most silly was Mascherano getting away with climbing all over Ibra. As for the pitch, yes it was disasterous, but we suffered as well as Barca, as our players constantly slipped and struggled to cope with the turf (I've already mentioned Urby's chance failed partly due to the pitch too).

All in all, we could have and should have won with the clear chances missed. Barca had their chances, but they weren't as clear nor as easy as ours. However, we have Barca on the back foot now, and with some players regaining fitness over the next week as well as confidence gained in this match, I can see us being a little less hesitant at Camp Nou and more prepared to play like we did in the second half last night. If I was in Guardiola's shoes, I'd be a little worried right now looking for opportunities to stretch our defence, as they failed to do so last night. Allegri on the other hand has nothing to lose and will have a clear gameplan set from last night's match knowing full well that we aren't likely to keep missing great chances.

Players...

Abbiati - Looked a little nervous dropping easy chances, but grew in confidence through the match
Bonera - Great showing as he stuck to his task and always stayed in good positions
Mexes - Continued showing his character when the team needs it and was really solid
Nesta - What a player!!! His performance was much better than I had expected and he showed why he's considered one of the greats when he flicked the ball over Messi when tackling him.
Antonini - His greatest game in a Milan shirt? Quite possibly. He showed that when fully concentrated and using his head, he can play great games.
Nocerino - A good but not great game, as I think he was too focused on his defensive tasks that he didn't offer the dynamism we've come to expect this season when we pushed up.
Ambro - A great game as he pressed high and deep always staying focused on his positioning in the side. A number of good tackles (some bad too) broke up a lot of Barca moves.
Seedorf - I had said I didn't want him to start, but he totally proved me wrong, as he was simply brilliant. Disciplined, played 2-3 killer passes and a leader on the pitch by giving good instructions.
Boateng - Not 100% but he was important in our side as he offered a physical approach which Barca don't know how to deal with. However, he had to play deeper than normal and with our attackers underperforming we lost a link when going forward.
Robinho - Shockingly bad, so much so I wouldn't be surprised if he's benched next week. We've grown accustomed to his clear and important misses, but his overall performance was confused and poor.
Ibra - Not his best, a clear chance missed and not necessarily moving as well as he can. I would have liked to have seen him and Robinho move more like they did against Arsenal in San Siro as those were the same areas where Barca were struggling. He was better utilised as a target man towards the end though.
Urby - Came on to replace a tiring Boateng, but did little other than miscontrolling the ball twice. Poor performance again in CL.
El Sharaawy - Did much better than Robinho as he at least moved into more threatening areas and actually got involved.
Mesbah - Oh god I hope I never see him in CL again. This guy's a joke, and honestly he was lucky not to cost us a goal on a couple of occasions with poor positioning, poor distribution or just plain bad defending.

PS - Just read Barca have officially complained about the pitch. What happened to Guardiola's comment that as a great team they must be bigger than this stuff. This Barca might be one of the great sides of all time, but they're also some of the most pathetic whiners I think I've ever seen too.

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - Kastriot - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 12:15 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: PS - Just read Barca have officially complained about the pitch. What happened to Guardiola's comment that as a great team they must be bigger than this stuff. This Barca might be one of the great sides of all time, but they're also some of the most pathetic whiners I think I've ever seen too.

Guardiola wants always to be known as a the bigger man. He has great PR abilities. When it comes to the public they always say what they should to ensure they are loved, but behind the back they always do this shity attitude stuff that annoy anyone who is not their direct supporter.

I still can get my mind of the situation where the ref did not want to show a yellow card to Ambro, and after Xavi suggested that Ambro had foult 3-4-5 times he decided to show it. Ridiculous.

(03-29-2012, 12:15 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Personally, outside of a win where we didn't concede, I think this is the best result we could have hoped for. Basically it leaves the tie in the balance, but all the pressure is now on Barca to play a great game at home to win. However, they will always be in the knowledge that any goals conceded leaves them in a nightmare position.

PS - Just read Barca have officially complained about the pitch. What happened to Guardiola's comment that as a great team they must be bigger than this stuff. This Barca might be one of the great sides of all time, but they're also some of the most pathetic whiners I think I've ever seen too.

Well then, you are clearly more experienced than us playing on that excellently dreadful pitch you call a pitch.

Yes, I agree, you had it easier to convert since your chances were as easy as a walk in the park than ours.

Yes, we had officially lodged a complaint not just to whine but to help you and Inter to find a pitch solution. God-damit that field looks like a horse-race track of Del Mar on a bad winter night. Last night's pitch story took me back memory lane vs Inter. We had travelled by bust since the "Evhdytiohgkokuerorku - Volcano-ash" thing was all over the news, our meal dessert was a thumping on bad ground.

We were humiliated, wet, hungry and exhausted thanks to the creative plot of Mourinho (except the ash part). Last nite allowed those pitch pictures to re-kindle unwanted thoughts and memories of horrow on bumpy grounds.

This pitch storey has since caused concerns even when you hosted Arsenal back in February.
Surely something has to be done about it or it simply a PLOY to have you disadvantage your visitors. Sleepy

(03-29-2012, 12:27 PM)Kastriot Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 12:15 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: PS - Just read Barca have officially complained about the pitch. What happened to Guardiola's comment that as a great team they must be bigger than this stuff. This Barca might be one of the great sides of all time, but they're also some of the most pathetic whiners I think I've ever seen too.

Guardiola wants always to be known as a the bigger man. He has great PR abilities. When it comes to the public they always say what they should to ensure they are loved, but behind the back they always do this shity attitude stuff that annoy anyone who is not their direct supporter.

I still can get my mind of the situation where the ref did not want to show a yellow card to Ambro, and after Xavi suggested that Ambro had foult 3-4-5 times he decided to show it. Ridiculous.

Its jaw-dropping to see that at this level of the competition where a ref is lured by such an act.

I am not too sure I have seen Eriksson (the referee) in any CL match before.

PS:Abbiati, he too made a complet meal out Alexis and then some, yet he yelled to the ref. about "no contact". oh, well the ref. agreed with him too...Huh

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - GeoTav - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 12:43 PM)tello Wrote: Well then, you are clearly more experienced than us playing on that excellently dreadful pitch you call a pitch.

Yes, I agree, you had it easier to convert since your chances were as easy as a walk in the park than ours.

Yes, we had officially lodged a complaint not just to whine but to help you and Inter to find a pitch solution. God-damit that field looks like a horse-race track of Del Mar on a bad winter night. Last night's pitch story took me back memory lane vs Inter. We had travelled by bust since the "Evhdytiohgkokuerorku - Volcano-ash" thing was all over the news, our meal dessert was a thumping on bad ground.

We were humiliated, wet, hungry and exhausted thanks to the creative plot of Mourinho (except the ash part). Last nite allowed those pitch pictures to re-kindle unwanted thoughts and memories of horrow on bumpy grounds.

This pitch storey has since caused concerns even when you hosted Arsenal back in February.
Surely something has to be done about it or it simply a PLOY to have you disadvantage your visitors. Sleepy

WHat I don't understand, and you're probably going to explain it to me is why Barcelona didn't complain about the pitch the last time Milan played against Barcelona in San Siro, and that was something like 4-5 months ago ... The pitch was already bad.

If I sum up, knowing the pitch is bad :
- Barcelona won during the group stage game. No complain.
- Barcelona didn't win last night. A lot of complains.

Is there any correlation between the result and the complains ? Angel

(03-29-2012, 12:57 PM)GeoTav Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 12:43 PM)tello Wrote: Well then, you are clearly more experienced than us playing on that excellently dreadful pitch you call a pitch.

WHat I don't understand, and you're probably going to explain it to me is why Barcelona didn't complain about the pitch the last time Milan played against Barcelona in San Siro, and that was something like 4-5 months ago ... The pitch was already bad.

If I sum up, knowing the pitch is bad :
- Barcelona won during the group stage game. No complain.
- Barcelona didn't win last night. A lot of complains.

Is there any correlation between the result and the complains ? Angel

the effort to keeping a muted face should start there.
allow a pause of reasonable admittance to something bad on first call with the logic that it was a change in season or a re-germinate of grass seeds etc, etc hoping things will be better the next time. This did not happen.

..it's the permanency of it all that I find very consistent and it suprisingly contines un-dealt with for such a lengthy period. Whatever you are doing does not seem to be working at all.

if we had not complained after winning is because we had hoped that it was correct that you took that up. perhaps we assumed it was your ploy that just went "BUST" and never pulled off. at other hand, why would we gloat about winning and go on complainig about your pitch all in one verse anyways?. that would surely be just too cocky of us to sing about. or would it not seem that way then.? Angel

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - Aficio - 03-29-2012

I don't know if Puyol still blamed the ref if he scored in that situation Big Grin He was too strong for Mesbah to pull back. I think if he had fallen on his back, a penalty should have been given, but that was like giving an advantage for the attacker.

Sanchez's case was more obvious. However, he was pushing the ball away from goal and Abbiati didn't intent to pull his leg. And you Barca guys should blame Alves & Busquet for being infamous actors Big Grin

(03-29-2012, 01:21 PM)Aficio Wrote: I don't know if Puyol stilled blamed the ref if he scored in that situation Big Grin He was too strong for Mesbah to pull back. I think if he had fallen on his back, a penalty should have been given, but that was like giving an advantage for the attacker.

Sanchez's case was more obvious. However, he was pushing the ball away from goal and Abbiati didn't intent to pull his leg. And you Barca guys should blame Alves & Busquet for being infamous actors Big Grin

[Image: c908d885f1bc4b61ff0ba2647fecbaad-getty-509965395.jpg]

RE: AC Milan vs Barcelona (28th March, 2012) - Aficio - 03-29-2012

Nice pic. I didn't say there was no contact, but the decision was affected by many factors.