AC Milan Forums - Unofficial
Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - Printable Version

+- AC Milan Forums - Unofficial (https://www.milanmania.com/forum)
+-- Forum: MilanMania (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Italian And Other Football (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final (/showthread.php?tid=298)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - ACMILAN1983 - 06-28-2012

I recently heard some interesting comments which for me ultimately defined what this Spanish side is about. One of the players said the key aim for Spain is control, they are obsessed with controlling the game. This means they won't let opponents see the ball, they don't take unnecessary risks and they have means to win the ball back quickly when they lose it with their pressing. This is effective, they don't change their plan as this works and they are focused solely on winning. This also to me defines why they are considered boring.

This can be compared to when I play FIFA 12. I play on the hardest difficulty and it is extremely difficult to control games. The easiest way to win, and essentially guarantee a win almost every game, is to play each game by simply passing the ball across my defence time and again and only look to make the odd quick break, as the game rarely presses my defenders when they're on the ball and I'm good enough to get the odd goal and keep the ball afterwards. I don't do this because essentially it would be pointless playing the game.

Spain are the same (though they hold the ball much higher up the pitch). They hold the ball and keep it away from opponents until they spot that opportunity to score, which they'll do and then essentially just keep holding the ball again. It's fine to respect it works, that they have the technical ability to do it and that they press really well when the do lose the ball once in a while. However, it's neither a progressive nor expansive brand of football and in my view, ultimately looks to achieve the goal that catenaccio did some 50 odd years ago, in that it is about controlling the opponent and winning by taking the odd opportunity that comes your way.

The more I think about this, the more I remember Sacchi's comments about football not just being about winning, but also about how you win. As much as I respect this Spain, I will never remember them as fondly as Brazil of '70, the Dutch Total football sides and the one of '88 or France of 2000 and Italy of numerous years. Unlike the others they play a brand of football which is remarkable, yet lacks the romance of those other teams.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - ACM2023 - 06-28-2012

(06-28-2012, 02:23 PM)Mystik Wrote: The only people on Spain I like to watch are Iniesta and Jordi Alba. The rest are just soooo boring :| Those two were the only ones trying to penetrate the Portuguese defense...until Pedro came on and actually tried to attack.

Hey! Same here! Big Grin I always liked Iniesta even before this tournament. J. Alba Wink is such a breath of fresh air.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - Gabriel426 - 06-28-2012

When you look at Spain in 06-08, they don't play like today. Then it all changed in WC 10, after their loss to The Swiss. But even in that WC, they play is still bearable, as they do try to score unlike now. It is really getting worse by game. Technically, even with a proper Brazil squad, Spain is still head and shoulder a over everyone else. That's also why I don't understand why don't they attack more. They got arguably a top 3 keeper in the world if not the best one. Their backfour are also top 5 in the world, surprisingly Brazil actually got the best backfour in the world. Their mid are way above anyone else, as Xabi is as good as any DM, Sergio complement the team well with Xavi being the mastermind and Iniesta being the best dribbler in the game. Silva and Cesc are two of the best attacking Mids. While Torres is as good a striker as any in this Euros. Hopefully this shoot out win will teach them a lesson about passing the ball too much.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - Nalx - 06-28-2012

Simply put the most thrilling 45 mins of the tournament. After some uncharacteristic nervy moments from Buffon, German find themselves on back foot as Italy fire on all cylinders. Brilliant!

Edit: idiotic celebration by Balotelli though. He's just one stupidity away from the 2nd YC.

I don't agree with his yellow card either, but you have to understand his excitement at the very moment. Let's hope that he would not decide to go crazy with a reckless tackle in the second half.

What a fantastic first half display by Italy.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - Nalx - 06-28-2012

Damn it Pirlo! When he's having his good day, nobody can even touch this sleepy-eyed man. Marchisio (twice) and Di Natale really should have killed off this game earlier. This is Italy's best performance since 2006 and with the final's looming on the horizon hopefully it didn't come one game too soon.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - reza - 06-28-2012

Montolivo second excellent game in a row, Pirlo of course too

This was the best game of the entire tournament. Italy deserved the victory, and continued their unbeaten run against Germany in any major tournament.

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - am I Milan enough? - 06-28-2012

(06-28-2012, 09:41 PM)reza Wrote: Montolivo second excellent game in a row, Pirlo of course too

Hope he continues this with Milan while Pirlo doesn't Sagrin

RE: Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final - Mystik - 06-28-2012

What a gammeeee!! It's not even that the Germans played badly. Italy just really capitalized on their chances. Germany overloaded on the attack too much which left them exposed at the back. Best game of the tournament so far!