AC Milan Forums - Unofficial
Winter Mercato 2014 - Printable Version

+- AC Milan Forums - Unofficial (https://www.milanmania.com/forum)
+-- Forum: AC MILAN (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Transfers (https://www.milanmania.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Winter Mercato 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=560)

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - Nalx - 01-19-2014

Defour used to be a promising youngster though I must admit I don't know how he's been doing the last year or two.

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - Arildonardo - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 04:07 PM)ACM1899 Wrote: Breaking news: Madrid makes an offer to Milan for $30million for Matri.

Would never sell him for that now that he finally scores goals... Devilol

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - Jay Crisp - 01-19-2014

Defour is a good hand 26 now and didnt turn into the superstar some thought he would,better than Poli Noce Muntari though.
He wouldnt be cheap either ,maybe €10-€13 million.Its only reported in Belguum too.

Well Matri having a great game ,kind of points towards our crapness maybe.And lack of creativity.He was so bad at Milan its strange to see this.

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - ACM2023 - 01-19-2014

(01-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: From Goal.com:

Thiago Silva could make AC Milan return

New Milan boss Clarence Seedorf wants a top player in his defence and will target Thiago Silva. The club are willing to spend big to secure the Brazil international centre-back.

Source: Tuttosport
Sunday, January 19, 2014 09:27

Goal.com is goal.crap; Tuttosport is tuttocrap. These two join force? The crappiest crap. Sagrin

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - reza - 01-19-2014

Two negatives is a positive Devilol

Way to think positive. Big Grin

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - Nalx - 01-19-2014

You mean two negatives like Galliani and Allegri? Icon_lol2

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - reza - 01-19-2014

Lol.

We just need new people in charge, that alone will be positive

Like I said, last Christmas was a golden chance missed. We now hope that Seedorf uses his charm to persuade Berlusconi that Galliani is the cancer, after Seedorf proves himself to be a worthy bet.

RE: Winter Mercato 2014 - ACMILAN1983 - 01-19-2014

At risk of sounding like a broken record, the whole scenario with our young players being shipped off only further adds to the argument of why we need a guy like Maldini to come in and help the development of the squad for the long term project.

Now that Allegri's gone, Seedorf wants different players and wants guys to fit his system of football. I don't mind this, every coach will ask for players with certain qualities that suit their game. The problem is when there's no balance in terms of how much turnover there is, which appears to be the case in our situation. We buy all these young talents, like Salamon, Vergara, even Saponara etc. yet as soon as a new coach is in and they don't figure in his plans, then they're discarded as quickly as they were brought, usually at no profit and I suspect often at a loss. This isn't anything new, as over the years we've gotten guys Grimi, Cardacio and Viudez all of who have been a bust with little understanding why they were ever in Milan.

The problem is, we need to work out how these guys figure in our long term project. For starters, if within 3 months we know they have no place in Milan, then these guys should never have come in the first place, it's a waste of money and numerous other resources. If a coach doesn't feel they are ready for his system yet, then rather than shipping them off, they should be sent out to places to grow. The key factor here is making sure we know they'll get playing opportunities, rather than using them as bargaining chips for some other short term solution and lost into obscurity (this is a key difference between what we did with Boban, Costacurta and Albertini rather than what we've done with Salamon, Albertazzi, Petagna and so many other recent examples).

So how does this come back to Maldini and Galliani? Well, I think based on evidence from recent years, Galliani's judgement on players, getting the right ones and helping to cultivate their growth is limited at best (I'm being generous here). Maldini has a wealth of knowledge and experience which Galliani simply can't compete with. As former captain and as one of the most decorated and experienced footballers in history, at the very least Maldini will know which qualities are important when selecting a player and how to encourage their growth in their career. Hell, do the scouting part right and we stand to make a profit in most cases as players who aren't necessarily suited for our project would still be sold on for a profit as they mature (just look at Chelsea and the number of young talents they now have out on loan for either their future or to be sold for a nice sum of money). I can't imagine Maldini, knowing the sport as he does, would have risked Cristante being lost as Galliani has with Allegri.

A coach's lifecycle is short at clubs. While they manage the short term targets, it's important to have someone who can oversee the development of the bigger picture and groom players for future squads. It's of great importance this is done, as lots of turnover in players or buying them once established is very costly, which is what would happen if it was mostly up to coaches to decide who comes in and goes. At Milan it appears most prospects we have are going to waste, because the coaches have short term targets to achieve and therefore rely on more experienced players to get results, without anyone else there to decide on how those players can then be developed for a future squad.