Summer Mercato 2016
All of a sudden, it looks like we actually have a scouting network that goes beyond Genoa players. Hmm....wonder why that is...
Juve has first option to buy him at 9.5M (when they released Tevez )while we offer 15M, shall Juve decide to get him and up the offer, its up to the player to decide, dubbed as new Pirlo. Source milannews.

Baldie knows his position is at risk, now he's pulling out all his joker cards to impress new boss. D*** u Galli.
(08-10-2016, 09:36 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: I think De Sciglio must take responsibility for his performances, as should all players. If he's to become the player we hope, I think he needs to try and take on responsibilities not just of himself, but also more in the team. That said, it's not just down to him that his performances have been the way they have in the past couple of years. Injuries and the situation at the club have been nothing short of toxic in his case, a young player trying to mature and grow. It's not just him, we've wasted numerous opportunities to grow young talents, DES, SES, Cristante (whose career has been wasted), Mauri (so far), Suso and also Niang have all struggled to try and grow in the club. Compound that with no experienced reference points in the squad to try and lean on and suddenly it becomes much harder. It's worth reading about how Pirlo (in his book) talks about the influence Maldini and Costacurta in the dressing room, or how those to talk about guys like Baresi and you immediately see how important this is.

However, I think on the flip side, the guy is still young at 23 (I'd say 24-25 is the best point of full maturity for most top players) and imo showed not just in the Euros and Coppa final, but also a number of matches before that, signs of recovery and confidence. I don't think this will stop, in fact seeing Montella's work so far in preseason, I feel confident that DES can actually grow under him now that a lot of the difficulties he had are starting to be put behind him.

His challenges mentally (which he's admitted to) have clearly played a part in his performances in recent years. The lack of confidence was clear to see, but I (and assume others) totally underestimated how big a factor it had become. With this in mind, the time it takes to recover is heavily impacted. However, on the flip side, if there's one thing to take it's that DES' professionalism was never actually questioned at any point and his "feeling guilt" for eating pizza shows that he's committed to his career, even if in this case it was an extreme reaction and counterproductive. Honestly, I look at the man and I think we have a good guy here, that should foremost be the most important characteristic when looking at players.

As for whether we're more patient or forgiving for players that are homegrown. In my case I openly admit that I am. Not that they get a free pass from me, but I've always advocated the value of homegrown players. They are the best representatives for creating an identity at the club and being a symbol of the club's values. DES has many qualities that can represent Milan, with his discipline, professionalism and "clean" character. Not just to those coming in, but you look at the number of times youth talents currently in the Milan set up talking about how they look up to DES, and it's pretty clear that this can represents more than just what he shows on matchdays.

This is why DES has never been "sellable" in my view, I think he's a valuable piece to rebuilding Milan and bringing it back to being Milan again. I'm confident that we'll see an improved DES this season. I said the same last summer and while my estimates were wrong in how long it would take for him to recover, I think we've seen good signs of recovery since then and so believe he's headed in the right direction. I want to give him another year, maybe two before I really question his value to the club.

Well put. Exactly my thoughts too, I agree 100%.
(08-10-2016, 12:40 PM)nefremo Wrote: All of a sudden, it looks like we actually have a scouting network that goes beyond Genoa players. Hmm....wonder why that is...

We hired Catania's scout, Salvatore Monaco a couple of years back for South American scouting.
Yea, but it's not like we ever listened to his advice. Even before Monaco we had scouts all over the world. It means nothing if Galliani just dismisses their advice and makes deals with friends only. It took for someone to put him in check for him to start doing his job the right way - listening to people that are paid to scout these players. If it wasnt for this takeover, we'd be making a 15mil offer for a Genoa player now....not Bentancur.
Looks like Galliani might get a management role at Genoa once the sale is complete. Seems odd, all these transfer dealings w. Genoa lately, maybe he knew Milan would be sold eventually and started reinforcing his new team with our budget? Lol
(08-10-2016, 11:43 AM)edysim Wrote: Galliani is so good, out of nowhere he could come up with a midfield Bentacur. Why didnt he do this start of mercato.

I really thought that you said it sarcastically, until I read all the later posts (by you and others).  Devilol Devilol

So, this young player is really promising? Interesting...
So juventus has an option on Bentancur but they won't exercise it. So it looks like it's open for us to make a move.

Apparently Milan has asked Dinamo about Rog. Man!! I wish it was Coric. Everyone I talk to says he is the real deal and the few times I've watched I've been very impressed. He is still raw, but great talent.

We are also waiting to deposit Gomez's contract because they are apparently trying to get him an EU passport. I dont know how that will be possible in such a short amount of time....unless the process has been started from a long time ago. Then again, I dont know how these things work within the EU and how long it takes so maybe someone with some knowledge can tell us if this is possible or if it is just crap journalism.
Betancur seems like a talented youngster, and that is a good thing. My only issue with this signing is I don't think he addresses our needs in the midfield right now. As much as I love young talents, we have a huge hole in the midfield that we need to fill immediately. Starting Montolivo another season is not going to make us any better than mid table, and I am sick and tired of him as a player or a captain. Betancur is very young, came from a different league and will have a long learning curve to get accustomed to the Serie A game. Simply put, his first year or two in Italy will basically have to be red shirt seasons, kind of like how Roma handled Paredes. As such, he is not going to be able to help us much next season, if at all. With limited money, I would hope we get someone who can step in and play right away so the team doesn't fall out of CL contention by December again.
^^^^^ This!

You are spot on. Bentancur as the only midfield signing is very risky.