2014-2015 UEFA Europa League
With plenty Italian teams still in the competition and many other big sides from around Europe participating in the knockout rounds, I felt it would be fitting to have a thread about the EL. We may as well get used to it if this is where we are going to be over the next few years Facepalm

Napoli won handsomely today vs Trabzonspor while Roma drew 1-1 with Feynoord and Torino drew 2-2 with Athletic Bilbao. I am going to be watching the Fiorentina vs Tottenham game which is on now. Should hopefully be exciting! Italian teams can help us earn valuable coefficient points in this competition (if people even care about those points Big Grin)
Siamo a posto cosi.
I support all Italian teams but Shitter Big Grin They drew with Celtic. Havent seen the game, but by the reports I read looks like Shaqiri shined
Tough week for English teams in Europe. Man City and Arsenal both lost at home and Tottenham and Liverpool were both eliminated today..
Siamo a posto cosi.
This could've been happening all these years if Serie A didn't just pushed the Europa League to the side. Fielding second string teams in this competition is what lost the league it's 4th CL spot. Italian teams can no longer beat Russian, Dutch, Danish, etc teams with reserves. Those times are long gone and football has grown all over the world as well.

The sooner Serie A realizes this the sooner they can get their 3rd spot back. Italy is more then capable of putting 2-3 teams in the quarter finals of the Europa League every season, they just gotta take it seriously and field their best line ups.
Round of 16 draw (ties 12 & 19 March)

Everton FC (ENG) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) v AFC Ajax (NED)
FC Zenit (RUS) v Torino FC (ITA)
VfL Wolfsburg (GER) v FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
Villarreal CF (ESP) v Sevilla FC (ESP, holders)
SSC Napoli (ITA) v FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)
Club Brugge KV (BEL) v Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
ACF Fiorentina (ITA) v AS Roma (ITA)
It's going to be tough for Inter and Torino, while one of Fiorentina and Roma are definitely out next round. I would think Napoli should win though.

I watched a little of Besiktas and Liverpool the other day and must say the atmosphere was awesome during the match (Turkish fans are known for their passionate support). It kind of put Italy to shame given what the atmosphere is like there for most matches these days.
(02-28-2015, 12:33 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: It's going to be tough for Inter and Torino, while one of Fiorentina and Roma are definitely out next round. I would think Napoli should win though.

I watched a little of Besiktas and Liverpool the other day and must say the atmosphere was awesome during the match (Turkish fans are known for their passionate support). It kind of put Italy to shame given what the atmosphere is like there for most matches these days.

I watched some parts of Torino-Bilbao last week, and the atmosphere was also quite impressive during that game ...
The problem is with the "big clubs" (including us and Inter), once they are in Europa League, their fans just sleep ...

I have absolutely no faith in Napoli for the next round ... Even if Benitez should definitely try to win one competition before leaving the place.
Fiorentina-Roma has one advantage : one Italian team in the quarters ...
Wolfsburg-Inter could be interesting, Wolfsburg are strong, but I will hope Inter can go to the quarters (I hate Inter, I just want them to lose pathetically before the final at some point, but as long as they help Italy to improve its European coefficient, they are allowed to win/qualify).
Zenith-Torino could be very difficult for Torino, but they have nothing to lose, just beat Bilbao, and they have a lot of enthusiasm ... Who knows ?
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
(02-28-2015, 02:14 PM)GeoTav Wrote: I watched some parts of Torino-Bilbao last week, and the atmosphere was also quite impressive during that game ...
The problem is with the "big clubs" (including us and Inter), once they are in Europa League, their fans just sleep ...

I have absolutely no faith in Napoli for the next round ... Even if Benitez should definitely try to win one competition before leaving the place.
Fiorentina-Roma has one advantage : one Italian team in the quarters ...
Wolfsburg-Inter could be interesting, Wolfsburg are strong, but I will hope Inter can go to the quarters (I hate Inter, I just want them to lose pathetically before the final at some point, but as long as they help Italy to improve its European coefficient, they are allowed to win/qualify).
Zenith-Torino could be very difficult for Torino, but they have nothing to lose, just beat Bilbao, and they have a lot of enthusiasm ... Who knows ?

lol, I don't really blame fans for not going to matches. I don't know why I watch Milan every week anymore, it's terrible football.

I like watching Wolfsburg this year, they've stepped up and have a nice game.
I actually enjoy Europa League much more than Champions League this year. The teams are more balanced, the results are often unpredictable, and it is generally more fun. Particularly if you watch a simulcast during the games, you watch teams that you would never watch otherwise.
I always find Europa or UEFA League more interesting bc of the teams and players that I rarely heard of and teams tend to play a more open style than those in CL.

Dev, I can't even remember when was the last time I watched a whole Milan Match.