Summer transfer window 2017
i agree with jay crisp - kalinic is f+m's first truly bad deal for a number of reasons.

firstly the price. who pays 25m+ for a soon to be 30yo who scored just 15 league goals last season.

secondly, we're planning to give him a 4 year contract @ 3m net - he's no ibra!

thirdly, if we're after a star bomber as widely reported, signing kalinic makes zero sense unless we're planning a 2 striker formation. but that throws up other problems like not having enough cbs to field 3 at the back and what would happen to suso? also 1 of silva, kalinic and star bomber would ride the bench which wouldn't make sense given the money spent and would hinder their growth.

fourthly, if montella gets fired for not reaching cl (realistic possibility given number of new players in squad and competitiveness of serie a) then we're stuck with a striker nobody besides everton and china wanted.

bad deal!
Montella still thinks he's in Viola or Sampdoria...Just look at "players" he's thrilled with ,his wishlist etc...
And this Kalinic transfer...if it's truth 3m4y...It's like Galiani handled this transfer
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
it's a terrible deal no matter how you look at it. for 25m we could've signed a youngster with wc potential like schick or dolberg. schick's serie a proven so there's no excuse. tbh we'd probably have been better off keeping bacca. although bacca didn't "fit" montella's system, he had virtually identical stats to kalinic last season 13 league goals + 5 assists in 2,128 mins vs. 15 goals + 2 assists in 2,520 mins for kalinic. i'd also argue that kalinic was playing with better teammates like chiesa, illicic, valero, bernadeschi, saponara, tello so had more chances of scoring.
(08-16-2017, 02:49 PM)donlocatelli Wrote: i agree with jay crisp - kalinic is f+m's first truly bad deal for a number of reasons.

firstly the price. who pays 25m+ for a soon to be 30yo who scored just 15 league goals last season.

secondly, we're planning to give him a 4 year contract @ 3m net - he's no ibra!

thirdly, if we're after a star bomber as widely reported, signing kalinic makes zero sense unless we're planning a 2 striker formation. but that throws up other problems like not having enough cbs to field 3 at the back and what would happen to suso? also 1 of silva, kalinic and star bomber would ride the bench which wouldn't make sense given the money spent and would hinder their growth.

fourthly, if montella gets fired for not reaching cl (realistic possibility given number of new players in squad and competitiveness of serie a) then we're stuck with a striker nobody besides everton and china wanted.

bad deal!

This post is great. He isn't anything special. Especially for that price and wages. And has scored 15 goals only once in his lifeltime. And people are saying that he suits Montella's system, his goal conversion ratio is the worst in serie A. This deal is stupid.
(08-16-2017, 04:14 PM)Sampinjon Wrote: Montella still thinks he's in Viola or Sampdoria...Just look at "players" he's thrilled with ,his wishlist etc...
And this Kalinic transfer...if it's truth 3m4y...It's like Galiani handled this transfer

I have always liked Montella. But with this transfer I really doubt him. Getting into Top-4 is their main priority and there's a chance that we may miss it.
Well ,there's still 14 days left to sign a proper striker. Let's hope.
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
(08-16-2017, 04:57 PM)Sampinjon Wrote: Well ,there's still 14 days left to sign a proper striker. Let's hope.

I am not sure about that. The management have openly said that it's either Kalinic/Costa/Auba. And also said that we are after a winger/mid/striker. And they Haven't said anything about getting 2 strikers except for few newspapers. So Kalinic would be the only striker incoming as of now. Then who would be the other proper striker incoming? Costa wants to join Atletico so that rules him out. Auba? He said he's happy to stay at Dortmund and with the Dembele saga going on I doubt they would sell him. Belotti? Maybe a small chance but who knows.
(08-16-2017, 04:26 PM)Milan369 Wrote: This post is great. He isn't anything special. Especially for that price and wages. And has scored 15 goals only once in his lifeltime. And people are saying that he suits Montella's system, his goal conversion ratio is the worst in serie A. This deal is stupid.

Obviously i agree, but partially and partly not....I agree that  is 29 years old, and you have to make a 3 year contract at 3 million a season but I think this guy is underestimated.
The real problem is that for months we talked about Aubameyang and Belotti as a new striker and now is coming Kalinic.
We still have to see what mesh number will take,i still have a little hope for Aubameyang but not for Belotti....

Sportface, Niang is not participating in the training session at Milanello.Spartak Moscow closest?
(08-15-2017, 10:34 AM)donlocatelli Wrote: i agree with everything you said bar retaining mauri, simic and most of all MONTY!

mauri's nothing special and he proved it in pre-season and had a lackluster season at empoli last year. looks like galliani was sold yet another overhyped dud just like salamon, niang, vergara, ely, gabriel etc. besides, his contract expires in 2019 so last chance to cash in. same goes for simic - apparently he's close to serie b.

with our new found wealth i highly doubt either of these two will ever become milan material so best cash in now.

as for monty - he absolutely has to leave in my opinion. he's a terrible leader and is part of the reason the team underperformed the last few seasons. nobody respected him as a player or captain and he wasn't able to motivate the team properly. also, he's the poster boy of the darkest period in milan's recent history and given his recurring injuries we don't need his negative energies infiltrating our enthusiastic young squad.

for me he absolutely must be purged just like the forever sulking 2yo des. i also have a slight fear that montella will start favouring him over locatelli as first choice backup in midfield.

fully agree and couldn't have said it better myself. good post bro.

(08-15-2017, 07:48 PM)AC_Troy Wrote: I think it's funny that we bitch and moan that our attacking department is lacking after spending an insane amount of money.  I think had we not picked up Bonucci then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, but management jumped on a great opportunity.  Be patient

that's jay_crisp for you.. i've seen his posts around forums for more than 10 years. It's just what he does. Vast majority of what he posts makes me cringe my teeth. you'll be better off by ignoring him.  Okmilan

(08-16-2017, 04:07 AM)xudong Wrote: As for the striker(s), I must say that I will fully trust our management. They have really done everything (I mean everything!) so brilliantly this summer, and I can't allow myself to question them. Whether or not they will bring in a big name, whoever they bring in, I will support them. If they brought in another Borini, I would support their decisions as well.

I really don't mind Cutrone staying and getting some serious minutes.

That's much better.. first couple of weeks in June you were getting impatient that we weren't signing a player every day after already having spent like 100m in the first week.  Mirabelli & Fassone have earnt our trust with what they've done so far and we should only judge them at September 1. Whoever is complaining right now should be ignored because the management not done yet. A proper assessment of their work can only be given at the end of the mercato. 

(08-16-2017, 04:23 PM)donlocatelli Wrote: it's a terrible deal no matter how you look at it. for 25m we could've signed a youngster with wc potential like schick or dolberg. schick's serie a proven so there's no excuse. tbh we'd probably have been better off keeping bacca. although bacca didn't "fit" montella's system, he had virtually identical stats to kalinic last season 13 league goals + 5 assists in 2,128 mins vs. 15 goals + 2 assists in 2,520 mins for kalinic. i'd also argue that kalinic was playing with better teammates like chiesa, illicic, valero, bernadeschi, saponara, tello so had more chances of scoring.

Football is not about statistics, this is not an American sport. Galliani signing Bacca + Adriano + Bertolacci was him signing players solely based on their statistics and completely ignored their style of play and how they fit in. Adriano was top scorer in Ukranian league for like 5 consecutive seasons, Bacca scored 20+ goals for 5 consecutive seasons, Bertolacci has 8g 8a at Genoa when we signed him. Signing those players would guarantee goals based on your logic of looking at statistics right? Well guess what.. Over the WHOLE season, Milan scored something like 50 goals. One of our lowest scoring seasons in a very very long time. Statistics are important to help you analyze situations but they aren't everything. We must sign players who compliment each other and that's what we've been doing. Suso + Kessie + Conti on the right is going to be a joy to watch. Biglia with Bonucci behind him will be interesting. Hakan + RR as well.

Mirabelli is the total opposite and actually seeks real good players based on style and that way you'll sign players before they get those great statistics. Besides, Ibra at Milan scored like ~15 goals but Bacca scored 20 in his first season, does it mean Bacca was better than Ibra for us? Hell no. Because Ibra lifts the level of players all around him due to his playing style. Bacca needs players to be excellent for him to play well - that's exactly the type of striker we don't need. I feel confident with Mirabelli because he was crazy after players like Kessie, Keita, Conti from a long time and they exploded this season, that's a very telling fact that Mirabelli seeks the right qualities in players.

Kalinic can do so much more with the ball than Bacca can. He holds the ball up well, runs a lot, defends, assists. Kalinic is clearly a replacement for Bacca, it's not a coincidence that we are closing the Kalinic deal the same day we sold Bacca officially. It was just like how closed Borini the same day we sold Lapadula. Mirabelli is carefully planning the squad and doesn't want an oversized squad. I hate that Bacca has gone only on loan+option but if he's bought that'd be 17m, and if Kalinic comes for 25m, we'd have invested Bacca + 8m in him which isn't that bad to upgrade our squad. Yeah he's 30, yeah his wages are 3m but the term expensive is a very relative term especially in football. PSG signed Neymar for 222m and want to make more signings for 100m now, that would've been ridiculous expensive for Berlu + Galliani, but this Milan is a very different Milan from the past. We're on track to spend around 300m this summer alone if we spend another 60m on players and I'm certain a top top top level player is coming because that's Fassone has said on a number of occasions. 

Kalinic is a very complimentary player and plays for the team, just like what Montella said. I don't think he's one of our better signings but he's very useful. I think I saw a stat that last year Kalinic won his team 18 points just with the goals he scored towards the end of the game (and his team wins with a single goal - his goal). That's a sign of strong character and mental strength, and that's what we badly need and that's what we can't find in youngsters like Andre Silva at this ripe age. He's also Serie A proven, speaks the language and can do so much more than Bacca/Adriano did.

I honestly wouldn't be that disappointed if we didn't sign a top CF. I'd rather sign a top class LW & a midfielder. I'm certain Milan has someone lined up already.
If Spartak really pays 18mil for Niang, it would be amazing.

And what the hell is going on with Paletta? This idiot keeps refusing teams but wants to leave. What exactly is he waiting for? For Barcelona to come and get him? I am afraid that we will lose him on a loan again towards the end of the summer. Hopefully Lazio is serious about him and will give us some cash after they sell Hoedt to Southampton.