Summer transfer window 2017
(08-23-2017, 07:59 AM)GeoTav Wrote: Which is a huge mistake from Conte who had a complete midfielder in Matic and replaced him by a one dimensional midfielder like Bakayoko ...

I guess only time can tell. Personally I’m not going to second guess one of the best managers in recent time.
(08-23-2017, 12:19 PM)Nicolas Wrote: I guess only time can tell. Personally I’m not going to second guess one of the best managers in recent time.

The same manager who always started De Sciglio & Giaccherini for Italy?   Devilol

He's a good manager but he's too hard headed and fixated on his ideas. He's also a really bad sore loser too (but perhaps that helps him win... but really classless when he loses).
(08-23-2017, 12:19 PM)Nicolas Wrote: I guess only time can tell. Personally I’m not going to second guess one of the best managers in recent time.

Why not? That's the fun of a forum! We can challenge anyone and everything without really being responsible for what happens when our ideas actually turn out to be wrong!   Sagrin
(08-23-2017, 02:09 PM)Hitman Wrote: The same manager who always started De Sciglio & Giaccherini for Italy?   Devilol

He's a good manager but he's too hard headed and fixated on his ideas. He's also a really bad sore loser too (but perhaps that helps him win... but really classless when he loses).

In my opinion he worked wonders with an extremely lacking squad as manager for the Italian national team.
Him being a sore loser has nothing to with whether or not you can successfully field two midfielders with similar skillsets.
(08-23-2017, 02:30 PM)nefremo Wrote: Why not? That's the fun of a forum! We can challenge anyone and everything without really being responsible for what happens when our ideas actually turn out to be wrong!   Sagrin

Sure, by all means - but I still hold Conte’s tactical awareness in higher esteem than that of any forum member.

If he is willing to offload a key player to a direct rival, in order to achieve a midfield lineup with two players with similar skillsets, I believe that it merits consideration, instead of just disregarding the notion.
And if Chelsea fails this season with Conte's tactical awareness? Will you then hold a forum member's tactical awareness in higher esteem?

Coaches are no gods. They are wrong many times over and over again. Not sure if you've had the pleasure of knowing many in your life. I have, and I'll tell you that they can be the most thick headed amd arrogant people you'll ever meet. It's not a surprise of course. After all, their work is based on opinions and ideas (and obviously the ability to translate those ideas into someone else's head, ability to control the group, motivate, etc....but it all starts with the opinion/idea). When the results prove those ideas correct, we hail the coaches like kings. When they don't, we throw them to the curb. Both those things have happened to every single coach in history. So we'll see if Conte's tactical awareness will prove better than a forum member's in a few months.
(08-23-2017, 03:05 PM)Nicolas Wrote: Sure, by all means - but I still hold Conte’s tactical awareness in higher esteem than that of any forum member.

If he is willing to offload a key player to a direct rival, in order to achieve a midfield lineup with two players with similar skillsets, I believe that it merits consideration, instead of just disregarding the notion.

Actually, I was wrong and I am going to correct myself : Conte isn't to blame, but Chelsea is. I read several times that Conte was unhappy regarding this mercato as the club almost did nothing he asked.

I rate Conte quite highly, he's the kind of coach you can get quick success with. A younger version of Mourinho. But you won't build a long term winning team with him I think. That's why he's perfect for big clubs (immediate success needed by the club, immediate success guaranteed with him) and for a NT wanting to go as far as possible in short term (he didn't build anything with the Italian NT, he took no risk with young players, and he made average players play well as a team under his control).
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
(08-23-2017, 03:42 PM)nefremo Wrote: And if Chelsea fails this season with Conte's tactical awareness? Will you then hold a forum member's tactical awareness in higher esteem?

Coaches are no gods. They are wrong many times over and over again. Not sure if you've had the pleasure of knowing many in your life. I have, and I'll tell you that they can be the most thick headed amd arrogant people you'll ever meet. It's not a surprise of course. After all, their work is based on opinions and ideas (and obviously the ability to translate those ideas into someone else's head, ability to control the group, motivate, etc....but it all starts with the opinion/idea). When the results prove those ideas correct, we hail the coaches like kings. When they don't, we throw them to the curb. Both those things have happened to every single coach in history. So we'll see if Conte's tactical awareness will prove better than a forum member's in a few months.

If Conte’s experiment proves to fail over a whole season, then I’ll gladly accept that he did commit an error by replacing Matic with Bakayoko. Until then I take comfort in knowing that one of the most succesful managers seemingly puts his faith into two similar players.

I still fail to see how any manager’s personal traits is of relevance here.
I say that I wouldn’t mind having two players of that same skillset in our midfield, others believe that it would not be a good approach, — and I believe that when Conte is willing to make a change to his winning formula, by adding a midfielder similar to Kante, it merits that the approach potentially could work.
(08-23-2017, 03:48 PM)GeoTav Wrote: But you won't build a long term winning team with him I think.

I’d say that all of Juventus’ current succes is because of him. He built a core and a foundation that they are still benefitting from and building upon. I’d also say that the number of consecutive Serie A titles is a testament to his ability to build for the present and years ahead.
(08-23-2017, 04:35 PM)Nicolas Wrote: I’d say that all of Juventus’ current succes is because of him. He built a core and a foundation that they are still benefitting from and building upon. I’d also say that the number of consecutive Serie A titles is a testament to his ability to build for the present and years ahead.

His coaching skills are undoubtedly one of the best.... but the number of consecutive Serie A titles has a lot to do with when Juventus moved into their own stadium and the benefits that come with it... most importantly: money.

Serie A wasn't a level playing field for the last 7 years. It still isn't today. It required a crazy about of investment by Chinese owners for Inter & Milan to attempt to catch up to Juve but we still don't have our own stadiums to be able to spend actual profits. 

Anyways, we'll see how Bakayoko-Kante works.... if Conte doesn't manage to get sacked before the window closes!  Devilol (I don't think there's any truth to him being sacked btw, just rumours floating around).

But Conte did always select De Sciglio for Italy. Clearly a testament of his ability to build for the present and future of Italy  Sagrin