For a more handsome MM :D
(02-11-2011, 05:20 AM)reza Wrote: @xudong
To be honest I rather not allow signature pictures at all Big Grin But will check about it.
The stars are assigned by usergroups (admins more, registered members less)
Jealous and other smilies coming soon, I have to add them.

I see your point. It probably adds some unnecesary burden to site and I am actually with you here that we perhaps are better off not allowing them.

The same goes to the smilies. I don't think we need that many as in the old MM forum. Just my own opinion though.

Also, Geo had a suggestion that we remove the 'quote-in-quote' feature. I agree with him, for the record. I think one-level quote seems enough already.

And I was just pulling your leg with the star issues. Tongue Heart
aka xudong
(02-11-2011, 04:33 AM)reza Wrote: @Aficio
The quote section are white back ground as opposed to light gray for normal post background, should I try to increase the the color difference and italicize or just italicize is ok?
The test site was something else but finally I decided to 'gamble' on this that is closer to what we had before. Why is it gamble? Read below.

Between two consecutive posts, one has light gray background and the other has white. So with the post with the light gray one, post field is easier to see, but with the white one, post & quote are the same.

I don't know what is the most beautiful, but old forum is a nice example.

PS: The function buttons (PM, Find, Edit,...) look very professional, but maybe too eye-catching, comparing to the posts.
Reza:

1) I think the quoting quotes is something that may make posts look too long, I think it might be wiser look into it.

2) Make this new forum as milanmania.com/forums so everyone comes here....

3) Can you bring the Summer Mercato thread from there to here? We need the same regular threads from the old forum back here to bring back the people to participate. You don't need to bring all the topics, just certain ones such as a couple of topics in the Discussion thread, probably the classic threads such as the Paolo Inzaghi thread Big Grin

4) Regarding the horizontal line below each post with the buttons: I think you should remove the Find button and put it inside each member's personal page....and the buttons do look cool but they are big, maybe you can these buttons right below the username and below the Join Date... it saves space, and will probably fill up that empty area. Also what's the difference between the Reply and Quote button - shouldn't they be combined?

5) Every post in each thread has RE: <topic> for example in my post right now, on the top there is a "RE: For a more handsome MM". I think it's best to remove that and instead you could put the time of post over there. Maybe even a Like and Dislike button that will be a cool idea. You don't have to show WHO disliked or liked, but you should just show the number of likes and dislikes (such as youtube). That can be very useful on forums where people discuss opinions and have agreements/disagreements.

6) I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I dont like the white background because the background of each post is also very light grey. I like the really light grey color so maybe a black background or any other dark color background can do. Another suggestion regarding the colors: how about make the back ground of each posts change with every post, for example, set posts 1, 3, 5, 7.... to have a light grey background, and posts 2, 4, 6, 8 to have a darker grey back ground... it can be easier to browse and look for a certain post.....

7) I suggest to have 20 or 30 posts per page instead of only 10.
hitman what do you suggest we do sir? and why did you change your nick name ?
"Above Milan there is only the sky." Antonio Cassano
(02-11-2011, 09:09 AM)Hitman Wrote: 7) I suggest to have 20 or 30 posts per page instead of only 10.

You can customize it yourself: Go to User CP, then Edit Options, change Threads per Page (you can choose from 10 to 50).

Have fun Big Grin
@ Reza regarding Hitman's proposals:

1) I agreed that quote system is a bit excessive;

2) That sounds like a good idea. Currently (uninformed) people go to old site first, then unless they are really interested, they may not want to click on and move to the new site. Maybe Hitman has a point. Perhaps you could swap the link and then make a "sticky" thread or announcement that is visible to even non-members on (a) availability of old site for archive; (b) enouraging them to sign up with their old username or any new and available untaken one (such as Hitmannq8, Rezag, etc. Big Grin)

3) Can that (moving threads) be done? Hitman is being unreasonable and greedy, but he has a great point in that some legendary thread like "Paolo Inzaghi thread" is simply irreplaceable.

4) @Hitman: My guess is that "quote" button allows simultaneous multiple quoting, while "reply" takes you immediately to the reply page with one post quoted?

5) I strongly agree on his sentiment that a subtitle like "RE: For a more handsome MM Big Grin" is redundant. After all, we are in this thread. We could perhaps move the time of post there? Is that doable? The current location of posting time is too close to the next post. It is not a practical problem, but more cosmetic.

6) On background/design topic, I can live with anything, but I admit that I am not yet fully used to the look of this site. Maybe it is too pretty, I mean, soft. And I think Aficio's point about the buttons "stealing the thumber" echos with me. Maybe two birds can be killed with one stone?

Cheers,

Two more thoughts:

1) Sometimes shortly after I post, I catch some typos and usually go back to change it right away (say, within 10 or 20 seconds). I believe that old forum has the feature of not "recording" that as an "official edit". I actually prefer that function.

2) In "Quick Reply," when I tried to use CTRL+B from my keyboard, instead of having the "[.b.][./b.]" pair (I had to add dots in there, otherwise it just won't show what I wanted to show) coming up for bold typing, it leads to something else that is defined by my own computer. I wonder if that's too much to add maybe just B, I, and U in the "quick reply" section?

That's all for now. Smile
aka xudong
About the "forum"/"forums" address, it all depends on how the following:
- if it's a bought address (milanmania), then that means it's possible to invert the old and the new forum address
- if the old forum is installed into a "forums" folder and the new one into a "forum" folder, then it's more difficult to make the change because the database is linked to that folder and that will be, if I remember well, a lot of work.
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
Reza, Cong for the good job man, the new forum is wonderful, just needs some tweeks but overall its very nice.
man i noticed on some other forums where you can insert a youtube link in your post and automatically it shows a video in the post, can you do the same here ?

thanks Bro
"Above Milan there is only the sky." Antonio Cassano
(02-11-2011, 04:39 PM)Lebanese Wrote: Reza, Cong for the good job man, the new forum is wonderful, just needs some tweeks but overall its very nice.
man i noticed on some other forums where you can insert a youtube link in your post and automatically it shows a video in the post, can you do the same here ?

thanks Bro

As long as the video doesn't start by itself ... Confused
=> For Reza: http://mods.mybb.com/view-resource/youtube-mycode

I just went to the myBB website, there is a merge option for the database, did you try it (as it seems some people want the old things on the new forum) ?
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
(02-11-2011, 04:41 PM)GeoTav Wrote: As long as the video doesn't start by itself ... Confused

I just went to the myBB website, there is a merge option for the database, did you try it (as it seems some people want the old things on the new forum) ?

that's what happens to old people. we don't want no change. Tongue Wink
aka xudong