Summer Mercato 2019
(04-11-2019, 06:40 PM)omer486 Wrote: I like Bruno Fernandes, Zaniolo and Tonali. But why do you think Barella is better than Kessie? Kessie is stronger and more powerful than Barella. Even after missing so many shots Kessie still has 4 goals and 1 assist, while Barella playing in the same position only has 1 goal and 2 assists.

Because being a midfielder is more than shots and assists...
Luca Modric, Ballon D'Or winner... 3 goals and 5 assists...
Gagliardini has 5 goals... does that put him close to Luca Modric?
Cristante has 4 goals 3 assists.
Luis Alberto has 3 goals 7 assists. Does that make him better than Modric?

There is so much more to playing midfield than goals and assists. Particularly with a box to box midfielder.
For me Barella would be a better fit. While he's not as strong or powerful, he adds a lot more diversity to our midfield.

We've got Bakayoko for strength and power, except Bakayoko is better at everything else.
to add

Barella's ceiling is much higher. I don't think Kessie will get much, if any, better than he is
(04-12-2019, 12:23 AM)AC_Troy Wrote: to add

Barella's ceiling is much higher.  I don't think Kessie will get much, if any, better than he is

It's possible but v difficult to say. They are both the same age ( 22 ). Barella has never played in a big team. Kessie messes up in the final third but he can also improve that. Barella also has to improve his passing and shooting.

Often Italian talents get overrated. It's really Brazil that keeps producing big stars frequently like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Neymar. I mean Italy has also had non-defender stars like Totti, Baggio & Pirlo but more of the time just hyped up talents. The same way there's Chiesa with 6 goals and 3 assists and some people think he's one of the best wingers around.
(04-12-2019, 12:41 AM)omer486 Wrote: It's possible but v difficult to say. They are both the same age ( 22 ). Barella has never played in a big team. Kessie messes up in the final third but he can also improve that. Barella also has to improve his passing and shooting.

Often Italian talents get overrated. It's really Brazil that keeps producing big stars frequently like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Neymar. I mean Italy has also had non-defender stars like Totti, Baggio & Pirlo but more of the time just hyped up talents. The same way there's Chiesa with 6 goals and 3 assists and some people think he's one of the best wingers around.

and how many talents has Ivory Coast produced?

I think you're too wrapped up in goals and assists.  Have you watched Chiesa play?  There's a reason Barella & Chiesa are wanted by bigger teams.  Kessie is linked to PL because he's physical
(04-11-2019, 11:45 PM)porcho Wrote: Because being a midfielder is more than shots and assists...
Luca Modric, Ballon D'Or winner... 3 goals and 5 assists...
Gagliardini has 5 goals... does that put him close to Luca Modric?
Cristante has 4 goals 3 assists.
Luis Alberto has 3 goals 7 assists. Does that make him better than Modric?

There is so much more to playing midfield than goals and assists. Particularly with a box to box midfielder.
For me Barella would be a better fit. While he's not as strong or powerful, he adds a lot more diversity to our midfield.

We've got Bakayoko for strength and power, except Bakayoko is better at everything else.

This!!!  Okmilan

People are way too hung up on Kessie's physical strength. But this is football. NOT wrestling! Physical strength is good...but not when you are struggling to make 10 yard passes under pressure. Not when you provide nothing in the attacking half. Not when your decision making on the ball is horrible.
The cons we get from playing Kessie FAR outweigh the pros we get from his physicality.
(04-12-2019, 12:49 AM)nefremo Wrote: This!!!  Okmilan

People are way too hung up on Kessie's physical strength. But this is football. NOT wrestling! Physical strength is good...but not when you are struggling to make 10 yard passes under pressure. Not when you provide nothing in the attacking half. Not when your decision making on the ball is horrible.
The cons we get from playing Kessie FAR outweigh the pros we get from his physicality.

Yep
(04-12-2019, 12:41 AM)omer486 Wrote: It's possible but v difficult to say. They are both the same age ( 22 ). Barella has never played in a big team. Kessie messes up in the final third but he can also improve that. Barella also has to improve his passing and shooting.

I disagree with this...
EVERY young Brazilian gets blown out of proportion. Half never leave Brazil because they're not good enough. and very few of those that do become a Neymar.
Italians start higher and produce more talent, unfortunately of late none of those have hit the heights of a Neymar. But look at the average young up and coming star Brazilian vs Italian and there are more, and better quality, Italians.

You clearly place a huge importance on goal/assist stats... 6 goals and 3 assists means nothing. Watch Chiesa play for a few games, then watch Suso and come back and tell us which you'd prefer.
(04-12-2019, 12:49 AM)nefremo Wrote: This!!!  Okmilan

There are definitely better midfielders around than Kessie. He definitely needs to improve to become world class. In terms of passing he has a 88.2% pass success rate in serie A according to whoscored.com. Comparatively Barella has a 81.8 % pass success rate in serie A.

It's fine to see the players faults which Kessie has. At the same time people are making it out as if Barella is Modric or Tony Kroos. Who know in 2 / 3 years time but right now the facts don't support it.
omer486 - stats never tell the full story. For example; Most of Kessie's succesful passes are in the defensive third. Most of his unsuccessful are in our attacking third. While Barella seems to be consistently more dangerous all over the pitch.
(04-12-2019, 01:15 AM)porcho Wrote: I disagree with this...
EVERY young Brazilian gets blown out of proportion. Half never leave Brazil because they're not good enough. and very few of those that do become a Neymar.
Italians start higher and produce more talent, unfortunately of late none of those have hit the heights of a Neymar. But look at the average young up and coming star Brazilian vs Italian and there are more, and better quality, Italians.

You clearly place a huge importance on goal/assist stats... 6 goals and 3 assists means nothing. Watch Chiesa play for a few games, then watch Suso and come back and tell us which you'd prefer.

What are you following? David Neres, Brazilian 22 years old star of Ajax. There's Arthur, 22 ,starting midfielder for Barcelona. Vinicius, 18 years old starter for Real Madrid and even took Gareth Bale's place until he got injured., Gabriel Jesus, 22.... Which Italian young players are starting for the top Champion's League teams?

I've watched Chiesa. He plays much better than Suso. He's fast and skillful. There are also many other wingers better than Suso. No one prefers Suso to Chiesa. That doesn't make Chiesa one of the best wingers in the world!