Summer Mercato 2019
(05-13-2019, 12:59 PM)DrDejan Wrote: Leonardo and Maldini’s first objective was to evaluate and improve the coaching position. They failed miserably.

It was ? Or you wanted it to be ?

I am not a fan of Gattuso as the coach never have been.But I do not believe that their first objective last August was to get a new coach.Who would you of tried to sign as the new coach after firing Gattuso last August ? I mean realistically
(05-14-2019, 08:59 AM)Nicolas Wrote: I absolutely disagree. Gattuso has a team acquired for €270M-€300M over the past two years, at his disposal and he has no excuse whatsoever for not reaching CL. Neither Lazio, Atalanta or Roma has budgets close to that, and they have looked much more convincing, while Gattuso’s team still isn’t even close to have an identity.

Borini - 6m
Hakan - 22m
Kessie - 28m
Conti - 24m (Only 18 times appearance in 2 years)
Rodriguez - 15m
Musachio - 18m
Biglia - 19m
---------------------------------
Castillejo - 25m
Laxalt - 14m
Bakayoko - loan 5m
Piatek - 35m
Paqueta - 35m
Caldara - 35m (not really relevant because he only played what? once or twice?)

Total of 281m
Yes, Milan has spent a lot. But let's be honest here.
Do the likes of Borini, Hakan, Kessie, Biglia, Laxalt, Musachio deserve to be on a club as grand as Milan?
Do the likes of them would be sought by a big clubs like madrid, PSG, City? 

at Milan,
Only Piatek, Paqueta, Caldara (based on few appearances), have that world class ability.
While the rest of them...
They probably join Milan just because of the money, since we can't even attract top talents. Top talents would want to go UCL clubs. Convince them with big name of Milan? We're not even in the europe competition for a long time. (I don't even understand how Leo could convince Paqueta to join Milan)

Even Man city first year, with getting prime robinho, nigel de jong, kompany, only reached 10th
Second season with another heavy spending, they got adebayor, tevez, kolo toure, aging Vieira, and still only reached 5th

What i'm trying to say is,
We're already mid-table clubs. We're consistently at the middle position for 4-5 years.
We already adapt the mid-table mentality.

Even if we brought champions, we'd need 5 or 6 of them. Since with current squads, they can't even handle the pressure against a fucking Olympiakos and Real Betis.
And again, not even Klopp or Zidane or any active head coach could repair this permanent mid-table mentality unless some championship material arrived and replace a lot of deadwoods
(05-14-2019, 09:09 AM)Arildonardo Wrote: It's not Gattuso's fault that we massively overpaid for players who really aren't that great. €100M-€150M of that amount turned out to be money thrown out the window.

Even if you discount that amount, our team is still miles better than a team like Atalanta player for player. The difference is that they are coached by a tactician we our team is coached by a caveman.
(05-14-2019, 10:45 AM)Karl08 Wrote: Do the likes of them would be sought by a big clubs like madrid, PSG, City? 

Even Man city first year, with getting prime robinho, nigel de jong, kompany, only reached 10th
Second season with another heavy spending, they got adebayor, tevez, kolo toure, aging Vieira, and still only reached 5th

What i'm trying to say is,
We're already mid-table clubs. We're consistently at the middle position for 4-5 years.
We already adapt the mid-table mentality.

Even if we brought champions, we'd need 5 or 6 of them. Since with current squads, they can't even handle the pressure against a fucking Olympiakos and Real Betis.
And again, not even Klopp or Zidane or any active head coach could repair this permanent mid-table mentality unless some championship material arrived and replace a lot of deadwoods

Obviously I am not trying to compare our team with the likes of PSG or City, that wasn’t the base argument - it was whether or not Gattuso should be praised if this team finishes on the 5th spot, which I absolutely do not think that he should. 

I grant you that it takes time to build a team capable of challenging for the title, years and lots of money, but in the meantime there should be some progress. Can you point to any progress that this team has made under Gattuso? Any indications that if we stick with him, better times are ahead? Because I can’t point to a single one. 

Despite the fact that our striking department has seen a significant upgrade this year, we still struggle to score. There is no more fluidity in our build-ups than last year, and in some ways it almost seems like we have regressed. I am yet to see any tactical flexibility from our manager to get the best out of his players.

We have seen plenty of matches under Gattuso where much worse teams such as Parma and Torino dominate us, and that is down to the manager. Their players are not better in any way, but their approach was miles better than ours. A good manager gets his team to over perform.

I am not arguing that we don’t need significant signings to challenge for anything in the years to come, but we also need a manager who knows how to make players grow and get the best out of them — and the fact is that Gattuso is not that manager.
dropping 17 points this season when were in advantage isnt something that speaks of Gattuso's ability as a coach. We can argue about player class, money invested properly and improperly but, a coach who couldnt find a fix formation after 1.5 years, can't be the right one. I would be even more harsh and say Gattuso at best can coach a team of the bottom side of the table. What still pisses me off, is his stubbornness in the away game vs Lazio, where we conceded in the 93' , with three subs available. (!!!).
I agree on the tactical point of view, Gattuso is very clueless. I even made a 15 pages tactical analysis and sent it to every milan-affiliated emails, site, and so on. That's how desperate and angry i am to Gattuso stubbornness.

Sure gattuso tried to play 4-3-3 all the time. Can it work?
It sure can IF the left wingers are the likes of Insigne, Papu gomez, and not slow, ineffectual player like Hakan.
It sure can IF the box-to-boxes are the likes of Milinkovic Savic, Modric, and not just hulking powerful ox that think himself as good as prime Gerrard.
It sure can IF the right wingers are the likes of Mbappe, Di Maria, Willian, and not just slow winger who got outpaced hilariously by a 33 year old Kolarov.
It sure can IF the marauding rightbacks are the likes of Alves, Kimmich, or Carvajal, and not just fast right back that don't know if he's shooting or crossing Calabria.

There's the problem. No good players want to play with us right now. And gattuso inability to make a flexible system also didn't help.
Look, i agree in the end we need to replace Gattuso ASAP. But if we'd replace him with the likes of Simone Inzaghi, Di Franco, what's the point? Changing a bad tactician to another one.
(05-13-2019, 12:59 PM)DrDejan Wrote: Leonardo and Maldini’s first objective was to evaluate and improve the coaching position. They failed miserably.

(05-14-2019, 12:25 AM)porcho Wrote: I'll say it again... People keep saying they failed. Who was available? How do we know that LeoDini didn't try to sign someone good but they weren't interested. It's easy to say they failed but, with the team we have, we're still a bee's d&%k away from CL and who knows where we'd be if we got in someone new?

If only one name connected with Milan in the past year and a half was actually a true rumor, than they had an opportunity to sign a better coach.
Actually, it’s their job to find, persuade, negotiate. Instead, they said they trust Gattuso and he’ll do great. Thus, they failed. Not because we might miss the CL qualification, but because we don’t play well, because of player discipline and lack of effort, because of lack of passion.

(05-14-2019, 10:42 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: It was ? Or you wanted it to be ?

I am not a fan of Gattuso as the coach never have been.But I do not believe that their first objective last August was to get a new coach.Who would you of tried to sign as the new coach after firing Gattuso last August ? I mean realistically

The first objective of a new manager when he takes over is to evaluate the current state of affairs and prepare an improvement plan. If they didn’t do it, than they lack basic management skills. But, I will not go there, and will say that they failed their evaluation. Additionally, we have problems with the physical condition and injuries, thus they missed those departments as well.

I don’t have agent connections to list potential coaches, but they have and they’ve got proposals. Even if only one rumor in the news was true, than we had an opportunity to find someone better.
(05-14-2019, 01:42 PM)DrDejan Wrote: The first objective of a new manager when he takes over is to evaluate the current state of affairs and prepare an improvement plan. If they didn’t do it, than they lack basic management skills. But, I will not go there, and will say that they failed their evaluation. Additionally, we have problems with the physical condition and injuries, thus they missed those departments as well.

I don’t have agent connections to list potential coaches, but they have and they’ve got proposals. Even if only one rumor in the news was true, than we had an opportunity to find someone better.
He took over a mess last season and managed to qualify for the EL.There was no talk of him being fired last summer.None , most people were even okay giving him this season.Leonardo and Maldini came in , in August.They had ridiculously limited time.

What rumours are you talking about? How do you know Milan had proposals to sign a superior coach ? That whole sentence is weird in itself.Teams look for coaches , coaches dont generally pick a team.

I didnt ask you to sign a coach or enter into negotiations , I simply asked what coach you would of chosen instead.Youve said they were better coaches better options and that they were offering themselves to Milan.But who are they ??...the reason you didnt say your of preffered X or Y coach is because you know there was no one of a good quality that could of taken over with 3 weeks to go until the season began.

I'm not in disagreement that we need a new coach , I just think its higndsight now to say he should of been gone then and that they first thing Leonardo and Maldini should of done was replaced him.
Zapata out