Summer mercato 2012
(06-06-2012, 07:21 AM)Gabriel426 Wrote: I really don't understand the rush to sign young players if you have no room to develop them. I admit I have not watch any of the Pescara players, but I am 99.9% sure Merkel and Strassuer are much better than their best mids and Polaschi is better than any of their striker, despite home grown, can't even be on the bench for MIlan, while Milan went out and sign Taoare, Urby, want to extend Flamini and Slowdorf.

Look at some games of Pescara or some Italy U21 games ... You will understand. Smile
Also, take a look at the statistics of some of them.

Furthermore, these guys have a real experience in Serie B (one year playing together, Pescara used these young players, with the right coach, Zeman, and that's why they are in Serie A now), they're not Primavera players who have to learn the way the game is played with adults anymore ...

I really think Merkel and Strasser (who is 22 or 23 if I'm not wrong, he's no more that "young") are a bit overrated because they are/were our own players. But between Verratti and Merkel, my choice would be very quickly done ... I'd pick Verratti over Merkel anyday despite the fact I think Merkel could have become an interesting player (well, could become).

And to finish, we'll have some room to develop them, as our team is not fixed, I mean, with all the players who left, a young player will have more chances to play, and why not, if exceptionnal, earn a starting spot in our team in 2012-2013 than in any other season. Of course, that will depend on the kind of new players we get, if tomorrow, 3 WC players arrive, there is no more place for the young players, but if nobody arrives, then, they're definitely players we should try to get.
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
Will take your words for it.

For me though, I really don't buy into all these stuff about youth superstars.....b/c people often excuse and turn a blind eye on young players. For example, Destro, I seen him play and I think he is solid, but the hype on how a 21 yrs old scoring 12 goals(I think) in Serie A and wait till he gets older and more exp....he could become a 20+ goals scorer. While a 28 yrs old striker scoring 12 goals in Serie A...people won't label him a great striker rather just someone who is solid and good. The thing is, what if Destro is only a 12 goals Serie A striker and basically he reached his max at a young age already.

Point is, I think clubs, esp those with limited financial ability should really only get players who, 1. Fits into their current system. 2. Someone who is an improvement to the player he will replace. 3. Only pay for present talents and not potential and future talents.
For nefremo who asked about Jetro Williams, but got limited responses (I presume most like me, know little of him):

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2898/euro-20...-left-back

New news regarding Acerbi too. The player again has reiterated a desire to join Milan. Meanwhile, one of Genoa's directors has come out to say they are closer to reaching an agreement with Chievo, then they'll see whether Milan can make a suitable economic offer for him. I know there's not a great deal of excitement surrounding this transfer (I'm sure given the choice, most would go for Dede, Ogbonna or even Astori), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Acerbi turns out to be a great signing. I've seen his some of his performances for Chievo this season and looked at his strengths, where he has an imposing physique where he looks to read the game to win the ball before opponents get the run at him, he could work well in Allegri's system. He's also statistically been playing on
par with guys like Chiellini and Thiago Silva, which at a club like Chievo is quite astonishing. He needs to work on his passing which isn't as consistent as the very best defenders, although I can imagine this being partly as a result of the team he plays for.

(06-06-2012, 06:05 AM)GeoTav Wrote: A lot of very pessimistic posts nowadays (like if we ended at the 17th place and will fight to stay in Serie A next season !! Big Grin). Glad to see the good ambiancy of the old MM back !! Dodgy

lol, I thought the same, there's not much hope amongst Milan fans (not just here, but on all forums).

(06-06-2012, 09:19 AM)Gabriel426 Wrote: Will take your words for it.

For me though, I really don't buy into all these stuff about youth superstars.....b/c people often excuse and turn a blind eye on young players. For example, Destro, I seen him play and I think he is solid, but the hype on how a 21 yrs old scoring 12 goals(I think) in Serie A and wait till he gets older and more exp....he could become a 20+ goals scorer. While a 28 yrs old striker scoring 12 goals in Serie A...people won't label him a great striker rather just someone who is solid and good. The thing is, what if Destro is only a 12 goals Serie A striker and basically he reached his max at a young age already.

Point is, I think clubs, esp those with limited financial ability should really only get players who, 1. Fits into their current system. 2. Someone who is an improvement to the player he will replace. 3. Only pay for present talents and not potential and future talents.

Regarding the hype around Destro, I think as with Borini both are solid strikers who work really hard, a quality appreciated in the modern game. I don't rate either particularly brilliantly, but at the same time it's hard to argue they aren't doing quite well. I think clubs need to give these guys a chance to let the grow, as otherwise you're stifling them and they will never reach the top. As you said, there's always a risk they might have peaked (Michael Owen is a good example), yet there's always a possibility of them growing into better players, as we've seen with C.Ronaldo. The thing is, if you don't gamble and take these bets on future prospects, you either stagnate or have a model which isn't really viable in modern times unless you're Man City or PSG.

Regarding the 3 points:

1) I agree, I think whenever a club invests in players, the player must fit in to the system. In this regard, Italy has always been a bit odd in my view, as managers often don't get a say regarding the mercato.

2) This is ideal, but not always possible. I mean, let's say as rumours suggest we sell one of Thiago Silva or Ibra, we sure can't replace them with someone who will on an individual level be an improvement. In this situation, a new system or variation must be worked out to get the best of the player taking the place of those sold.

3) I don't think this is a viable option. To compete at the highest level you cannot pay for present stars only. As I said before, this model is only viable for Man City or PSG, clubs who have insane backing. The only other way to do this is what we've done with Ibra, Cassano and Robinho, basically making deals for players currently having problems with their current club. However, even then we've still had to invest in emerging talents, such as Thiago Silva, Pato, El Shaarawy, Boateng and Abate or even Antonini, none of who were established stars when they came.
Sheikh Al-Maktoun is in Milan supposedly, let the rumours begin
Juve are close to getting Asamboah and Isla from Udinese
Braida: "We like Thiago Alcantara. But Thiago Silva is not for sale."

Ancelotti: "Ibra is of no use to PSG. We want players who can be at this club for the next 4-5 years. As for Thiago Silva, he will not leave Milan."

But speculation is still rife on milannews, forums etc. that Milan will sell one or both of them to the clubs who are owned by rich Arabs (City and PSG).
Seedorf will announce today he is joining Boatafogo! Sagrin

Flamini has rejected Milan's Final Bid and will announce on Friday he is leaving AC Milan, Sky Italia Reports.

Milan could buy Strootman & Loan Sahin, if Real Madrid allows the offer of Loan w/Option to Buy.

Milan interested in signing Tymoschuk on Free Bosman.

Lastly, Valencia have offered 6M for Didac Vila, and Milan are apparently willing (it would be a quick profit).

(06-06-2012, 12:36 PM)reza Wrote: Sheikh Al-Maktoun is in Milan supposedly, let the rumours begin

Apparently the Sheikh is ready to buy shares of Milan and also invest in a new stadium immediately...

please god let this last elmago's sentence be true...
I hope we don't actually make an approach for Thiago Alcantara..because it'll be difficult for Galliani to "resist" if Barcelona bring Thiago Silva's name up on the negotiation table. I think he would be a good fit..but I don't trust Galliani to make a deal for Thiago the midfielder without giving Barcelona first option on Thiago the defender Dodgy

Geo: With regards to the development of young players, I think we've had space for many years now but the policy hasn't changed. What's to say that signing Immobile or Veratti would change anything? Allegri is slightly better than Carlo in this regard but still could do a little better.
Siamo a posto cosi.
(06-06-2012, 10:42 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 09:19 AM)Gabriel426 Wrote: Will take your words for it.

Regarding the hype around Destro, I think as with Borini both are solid strikers who work really hard, a quality appreciated in the modern game. I don't rate either particularly brilliantly, but at the same time it's hard to argue they aren't doing quite well. I think clubs need to give these guys a chance to let the grow, as otherwise you're stifling them and they will never reach the top. As you said, there's always a risk they might have peaked (Michael Owen is a good example), yet there's always a possibility of them growing into better players, as we've seen with C.Ronaldo. The thing is, if you don't gamble and take these bets on future prospects, you either stagnate or have a model which isn't really viable in modern times unless you're Man City or PSG.

Regarding the 3 points:

1) I agree, I think whenever a club invests in players, the player must fit in to the system. In this regard, Italy has always been a bit odd in my view, as managers often don't get a say regarding the mercato.

2) This is ideal, but not always possible. I mean, let's say as rumours suggest we sell one of Thiago Silva or Ibra, we sure can't replace them with someone who will on an individual level be an improvement. In this situation, a new system or variation must be worked out to get the best of the player taking the place of those sold.

3) I don't think this is a viable option. To compete at the highest level you cannot pay for present stars only. As I said before, this model is only viable for Man City or PSG, clubs who have insane backing. The only other way to do this is what we've done with Ibra, Cassano and Robinho, basically making deals for players currently having problems with their current club. However, even then we've still had to invest in emerging talents, such as Thiago Silva, Pato, El Shaarawy, Boateng and Abate or even Antonini, none of who were established stars when they came.

Just want to be clear, when I said getting someone to have better quality than the player he is replacing, I meant to say it must be a point for this signing and not signings for the sake of signing someone, like how Milan did over the past. Use Silva as EXAMPLE, if Milan sells him for 50mil. Milan reinvest that money into Dede, Strootman and Hernanes. Is Dede better than Silva, ofcourse not, but Strootman is better than anyone in the current Milan who plays DM, while Hernanes is the most creative midfielder than all of Monty, Nocerino, Muntari, Boateng and Taoare combined. Another example would be the point of signing Taoare if Milan has all the intention in resigning Gattuso, Slowdorf and Flamini. Imagine Flamini and Slowdorf both agreed to stay with Milan, the Milan mid will have Boateng, Nocerino, Muntari, Flamini, Monty, Taoare, Slowdorf, Gattuso, Ambro and Strausser/Urby. While Nocerino, Taoare, Flamini, Strausser, Gattuso and Muntari are pretty much the same type of players and at the same level give or take. Of course, once Gattuso, Slowdorf and Flamini leaves for sure and Strausser gets send out to another team, Taoare is needed but whats the point of getting him if you have all the intention of resigning the departing players.

MY 3rd point, I think you might have misunderstood me. What I am essentially saying is that teams with lack of financial power should stop investing on players who they hope will turn into some superstars. Rather they should concentrate on players who got talents and would excel in their system. Of course, all teams wish they could sign someone for minimal and he turns into Messi. Anyhow, of the players you listed, only Boateng came under 10mil. While Silva came around 11, Pato was 18, SES was 20, while Abate and Antonini were youth.
I am saying that when Milan bought these players, their price justify their level of play at that time, except for Pato and SES. Having said that, I don't think SES cost Milan any money, b/c it was a pure exchange with Merkel.
Point is, clubs like Milan should spend money on talents due to lack of funding. Senderous and Papa cost Milan 7-8mil in transfer while Bonera, yes Bonera is a much better defender than both of them. That leads back to my 2nd point, who did they improve? Senderous certainly was worse than Gouch and Bonera was better than Papa. Therefore, if the total transfer is available is 8mil, then this club should get someone who is at 8mil who can improve the squad rather than spend them on 3 players who might become the next so and so.

(06-06-2012, 02:13 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: Seedorf will announce today he is joining Boatafogo! Sagrin

Flamini has rejected Milan's Final Bid and will announce on Friday he is leaving AC Milan, Sky Italia Reports.

Milan could buy Strootman & Loan Sahin, if Real Madrid allows the offer of Loan w/Option to Buy.

Milan interested in signing Tymoschuk on Free Bosman.

Lastly, Valencia have offered 6M for Didac Vila, and Milan are apparently willing (it would be a quick profit).

(06-06-2012, 12:36 PM)reza Wrote: Sheikh Al-Maktoun is in Milan supposedly, let the rumours begin

Apparently the Sheikh is ready to buy shares of Milan and also invest in a new stadium immediately...

Slowdorf just leave. Flamini, Milan do not need you.
Tymoschuk might be old but he actually plays a lot like MVB, smart, great positioning and nasty in the middle. I actually is pretty warm to this signing, as long as he does not cost Milan 7mil in wages a yr.
Didac is worth more than 6mil esp., he is being court by a Spanish team. Wonder if MIlan can sell Urby and Mesbah for that price too.