Serie A
(05-15-2011, 05:54 PM)xudong Wrote: Juventus still holds some glimpse hope to go to Europe League next season, thanks to Roma's loss. I would be indifferent how it turns out though.

I am more interested in Udinese vs Lazio for the 4th CL spot. I will root for Udinese. Can someone confirm that Udinese needs only one point for that?

Udinese is leading Lazio by 2 points. Their head-to-head are:
W17: Lazio 3-2 Udinese
W36: Udinese 2-1 Lazio

From Wiki Big Grin

Before the 2005–06 season if two or more teams were tied in points for first place, for only one spot in a European tournament, or in the relegation zone, teams would play tie-breaking games after the season was over to determine which team would be champion, or be awarded a European tournament spot, or be saved or relegated. Since 2005–06, if two or more teams end the season with the same number of points, the ordering is determined by their head-to-head records. In case two or more teams have same total points and same head-to-head records, goal difference becomes the secondary deciding factor.
(05-15-2011, 05:33 PM)xudong Wrote: I feel bad for Sampdoria fans - their administration basically single-handed sent Sampdoria to Serie B.
To think they were fighting in CL qualifications at the beginning of this season.

I don't. Several years ago Celta Vigo had the same fate too. But while they were naive to think they could tackle two competitions with the squad they had, Samps' board&president are downright stupid.
per l'amaro e il dolce
(05-15-2011, 06:19 PM)Aficio Wrote:
(05-15-2011, 05:54 PM)xudong Wrote: Juventus still holds some glimpse hope to go to Europe League next season, thanks to Roma's loss. I would be indifferent how it turns out though.

I am more interested in Udinese vs Lazio for the 4th CL spot. I will root for Udinese. Can someone confirm that Udinese needs only one point for that?

Udinese is leading Lazio by 2 points. Their head-to-head are:
W17: Lazio 3-2 Udinese
W36: Udinese 2-1 Lazio

From Wiki Big Grin

Before the 2005–06 season if two or more teams were tied in points for first place, for only one spot in a European tournament, or in the relegation zone, teams would play tie-breaking games after the season was over to determine which team would be champion, or be awarded a European tournament spot, or be saved or relegated. Since 2005–06, if two or more teams end the season with the same number of points, the ordering is determined by their head-to-head records. In case two or more teams have same total points and same head-to-head records, goal difference becomes the secondary deciding factor.

My question still remains: does away-goal rule matter in this kind of tie-breaking? You see, their head-to-head aggregate is 4-4, with Udinese in advance with more away goals (2 vs. 1). Would that head-to-head records count in Udinese's favor, or would that count as a tie and they would have to move down to overall goal difference if they ended up with same points?
(05-15-2011, 07:03 PM)Nalx Wrote:
(05-15-2011, 05:33 PM)xudong Wrote: I feel bad for Sampdoria fans - their administration basically single-handed sent Sampdoria to Serie B.
To think they were fighting in CL qualifications at the beginning of this season.

I don't. Several years ago Celta Vigo had the same fate too. But while they were naive to think they could tackle two competitions with the squad they had, Samps' board&president are downright stupid.

well, they are the fans. they aren't really to blame.

for samp, their problem is not fighting on both fronts. their problem was selling all their stars in a winner. they became basically toothless in attack.
aka xudong
I know, I was referring to Celta Vigo's fault while Samps' mistake, like you pointed out, was selling their best players, I'd even suggest their only good players.

Anyway, I'm watching Napoli-Inter now. I really hope they keep players like Materazzi next season. And what happened to Ranocchia (and Bonucci for that matter)? They were impressive in Bari, even touted as the next generation of Italian great defenders. But their performances dipped considerably when they've finally played for big clubs. I guess that speaks volume for the lack of quality young players in Italy.
per l'amaro e il dolce
(05-15-2011, 09:04 PM)Nalx Wrote: I know, I was referring to Celta Vigo's fault while Samps' mistake, like you pointed out, was selling their best players, I'd even suggest their only good players.

Anyway, I'm watching Napoli-Inter now. I really hope they keep players like Materazzi next season. And what happened to Ranocchia (and Bonucci for that matter)? They were impressive in Bari, even touted as the next generation of Italian great defenders. But their performances dipped considerably when they've finally played for big clubs. I guess that speaks volume for the lack of quality young players in Italy.

Two words: Leonardo and Juventus.

Leonardo is one of the worst tacticians out there, and can't organize his defense, meanwhile Juve... well... let's just say they are an epic failure in general.

I don't really think there is a lack of quality young players in Italy, but most of them/clubs make some mistakes in choosing teams/not playing them or loaning them out to some Lega Pro teams. They are wasted there.
"We are a team of devils. Our colours are red as fire, and black, to invoke fear in our opponents!"
Herbert Kilpin

Nella gioia e nell' dolore, per il Milan eterno amore!
I hope that Leonardo will get to keep his job at Merda for at least one season. Okmilan
aka xudong
Well, xudong, I think the away goal rule is included in head-to-head concept, however it is surprisingly hard to find the proof Big Grin

Del Neri and Juve is another good pair.
You might be right; In other forums, many seem to claim that all Udinese needs would be just one point. We shall see in just one week. Smile

By the way, I would rather take a 0-0 than 1-1 or 2-2. I guess I value a clean sheet more - typical Italian way of thinking, eh? Big Grin

Del Neri - Juve
3bandiera3bandiera3bandiera3bandiera
Leonardo - Inter
3bandiera3bandiera3bandiera3bandiera
aka xudong
Call me greedy but I want a win, that way we'll have one less point compares to the Inter best record (85) after Calciopoli.

Or, speaking about typical Italian way of thinking, at worst, a draw since it means we'll reach the same 82 points they got last year under Moaninho. Not more than 1-1 though, that way we can beat their best record of 26 conceeded goals in 2008. We're already have more clean sheets than any of their title-winning years though. CMIIW

ps: worthless statistics eh? It's a public holiday here so I guess I got too much time on my hand Grinundwech
per l'amaro e il dolce

I really loved the new kit...It looks great. Its off topic but I had to say it Big Grin
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.