Interview
(09-10-2015, 09:05 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: lol, we're not alone, there are many, albeit most tend to be quite casual fans. Actually, I'm amazed how many people I see with Milan shirts on when I go to India, it seems to be one of the most commonly worn football shirts I see outside clubs from England (usually Liverpool or United shirts). Both me and my brother grew up watching Italian football (he supports Juve), hence I ended up supporting Milan.

Are you from India or elsewhere? Also, hope you don't mind me asking, but what type of Indian are you (e.g. as I'm sure you guessed, I'm Gujarati)?

It is surprising I have never ever seen anyone here wearing a Milan shirt. Everyone however is an expert on EPL and Barcelona and it makes me cringe to talk to most of them. A few months back I met a Man city fan who I had to work with and he looked at my cap (which had AC Milan written at the back) and asked me if Maldini was still captain? I said yes. 

I am a punju who lives in Bombay right next to the official Man Utd cafe, go figure! I have thought about starting some sort of a Serie A fanclub for people to get together and watch matches here, but it seems like too much of work for which I probably won't have time.
Odd, maybe it's just the areas I visit, although I do agree that it's mostly EPL support. Cool, Mumbai's a great city, I love going there when I get the chance, it's got so much going on. A fan club sounds like a great idea, maybe if you have a few friends who are interested might be the best way to get started, just something unofficial to get the ball rolling, then try to see if you can grow from there.

I'll actually be heading over around December, but unfortunately am not going to Mumbai this visit, will mostly be going around Gujarat.
Yeah Bombay is great man. There is always something happening 24 hours. I do bemoan the lack of sports bars though and those that exist are Cricket dominated and I personally can't stand that sport. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, there is a cold beer waiting for you Wink
lol, I'm not the biggest cricket fan, I like watching IPL and mostly it's limited to that and world cups.

Yeah, I still feel I haven't seen much of the city despite having been there quite a few times now. I might take you up on the beer, although it would need to be non-alcoholic Big Grin
For sure man. It'd be great to talk calcio one on one with someone Smile There are plenty of non-alcoholic drinks for everyone to go around. You might like Sol Kadi. Also if you like seafood, Bombay is a fantastic place for that. So much so that for most of us, it's a part of our regular diet. Especially Bombay duck, which is actually a fish. The food overall is not as good as Delhi but the seafood and even the Gujrati cuisine is pretty killer! Though I am sure you know more about the latter...
lol, I know what you mean, it's hard to find keen followers of Serie A here too. It's bizarre because at times people will talk for Fantasy Football for ages, but talk to them about the actual sport and it's like they don't even have an interest.

Sol Kadi sounds really interesting, I'd never heard of it before. Sounds like I South Indian type of thing, but I never saw it when I went to Goa a few years back and haven't ever seen in the UK. I used to drink alcohol, but stopped as it wasn't common for me to and eventually got to the point that when I did, I didn't really enjoy it, so I just stopped. lol, on food I won't deny that it sounds tempting, but I'm actually vegetarian so can't say I'd be eating fish or meat Big Grin . I ought to explain I used to be non-veg, but I read Gandhi's autobiography and his ideas had a very big impact on me.

Gujarati food is pretty good in Bombay, I guess it's only natural seeing as there are quite a lot of Gujaratis there. I like to try new things personally. Actually, as I write this, I had some left over chicken substitute stuff known as Quorn, so cooked it, put it in a manchurian sauce/gravy I made and am eating it with rice.

I've never been to Delhi, so can't comment on it. I had wanted to this time, mostly because I want to go see the Taj Mahal which isn't too far away, but plans have changed, so it'll have to be something for the future.
(09-11-2015, 08:42 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: lol, I know what you mean, it's hard to find keen followers of Serie A here too. It's bizarre because at times people will talk for Fantasy Football for ages, but talk to them about the actual sport and it's like they don't even have an interest.

Sol Kadi sounds really interesting, I'd never heard of it before. Sounds like I South Indian type of thing, but I never saw it when I went to Goa a few years back and haven't ever seen in the UK. I used to drink alcohol, but stopped as it wasn't common for me to and eventually got to the point that when I did, I didn't really enjoy it, so I just stopped. lol, on food I won't deny that it sounds tempting, but I'm actually vegetarian so can't say I'd be eating fish or meat Big Grin . I ought to explain I used to be non-veg, but I read Gandhi's autobiography and his ideas had a very big impact on me.

Gujarati food is pretty good in Bombay, I guess it's only natural seeing as there are quite a lot of Gujaratis there. I like to try new things personally. Actually, as I write this, I had some left over chicken substitute stuff known as Quorn, so cooked it, put it in a manchurian sauce/gravy I made and am eating it with rice.

I've never been to Delhi, so can't comment on it. I had wanted to this time, mostly because I want to go see the Taj Mahal which isn't too far away, but plans have changed, so it'll have to be something for the future.

Sol Kadi is a digestive drink of Mangalorean origin, though everyone just drinks it for its taste. If you like awesome vegetarian food then Delhi is the place to go. Most people associate it with butter chicken and kebabs etc, however the vegetarian food is insane. I travel quite a lot for work and end up going to Delhi quite often and you can literally stop anywhere and have good food. I have spent days in Delhi where all I ate was the amazing street food. Unless you don't have the feel for spices, coz then you will get Delhi belly which is not nice at all ha ha 

Besides, since the commonwealth games, Delhi has got a massive upgrade and it's a damn pretty city man. If you go to Goa then I'd suggest south goa which is more serene and prettier than the commercial north, which I'd only recommend to those who want to party hard and indulge in intoxicants of various forms Wink   

Also in Goa you can literally play a pickup football game at pretty much any field or beach or wherever. There are plenty of football bars but they all show EPL since Goa in tourist season is full of British people. I actually once had an argument with a Geordie who tried to convince me that Newcastle was a bigger club than Milan. I remember he followed me to the loo and standing in the urinal next to mine he tried to tell me how Shearer was a much better striker than Sheva. I was half freaked out and half laughing coz in his drunken stupor, he couldn't pronounce Shevchenko ha ha
Ah, so it is generally from the south. Sounds like jal jeera, which again is mostly for digestion but is really refreshing. What do you do if you don't mind me asking. Just curious as you mentioned you travel a lot.

I do want to check out Delhi, though it's not got the best reputation from what I know (i.e. people who talk about it etc), I think partly because you often end up getting negative news stories from there. I'm generally ok with spices lol, I think it's normal tourists get the odd day of an upset stomach lol, but I've generally been ok in India. I tend to just do the usual sensible stuff, generally drink bottled water, eat at restaurants that are generally known to be ok in terms of hygiene, eat street food (some of the best food I've eaten being on the street) at places where the food is usually cooked in front of you etc, try to eat hot food more than cold etc. I also give it a few days to allow my body to adapt before I start eating everything.

Goa's beautiful. I was staying at a place called Club Mahindra around Varca beach. It was useful, as Goa's not huge so I had the opportunity to visit both the north and south, but I agree, I quite liked the South's more relaxed and serene environment. I did see a group of kids on the beach playing all the time lol.

That's a weird story about the Geordie lol, but hey, the guy's obviously clueless lol.
Would you believe, that you get bottled jal jeera made by coke now ha ha ! It tastes like shit though. Delhi does have a reputation but it's nowhere as bad as everyone makes it out to be. People are usually alright although it is no way as friendly as Bombay. If Delhi had the weather of Bangalore, the people of Bombay and a seaside it would be the perfect place. I was there the day after x'mas and was freezing my balls off and it was just 2 degrees. In Bombay however people will take out sweater at 20 degrees C ha ha ! Its awesome though to live in a place without harsh winters. I play music for a living so get to travel a lot for shows etc. Free travel is the best travel Smile
I've actually heard Coca Cola started it, but can't say I've ever considered trying it. I'm glad to hear Delhi's not as bad as people say. Mumbai, for such a big city, is quite special in the way that people behave and act towards each other. Most massive cities tend to have people who just live their own life and show little interest towards others, but Mumbai's always felt much more personal in the way people act with each other, much more civil and friendly.

I think Delhi's weather would suit me being from the UK lol. You laugh about wearing sweaters in the heat, but here in the UK I see people from India wearing winter coats in the middle of summer on days when it's 20+ degrees. I don't understand how they manage.

What sort of music do you play if you don't mind me asking?