Gianluigi Donnarumma
After a couple of good performances there's a lot of talk around Donnarumma and it's probably a fair time to start his thread.

I came across this article, which gives some insight into him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015...goalkeeper

I'm genuinely happy to see how well he's adjusting to the senior side, I think he's far exceeded my expectations. It's not just about the saves he's made and that mostly he looks confident, both with his hands and feet, but one area which I think he's already a lot better than Diego Lopez at is the speed he distributes the ball. He rarely seems to hold the ball for long, which is beneficial in getting moves started before the opponents can react.

There are already comparisons to Buffon, which I think are premature, but if he maintains this level of performance, he'll be on par with Diego Lopez at least. The club should do everything to support him and nurture him to hold the first team position. It's a rare opportunity we find ourselves with.
It'll be interesting to see if he will also play when we play big teams. He looks like a fantastic talent it its always nice to have young italian players in the side. Hopefully he can become our Buffon.
We have some really bright prospects at the moment, Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Calabria, De Sciglio, Bertolacci, Niang... Hopefully Miha gets to time to make a succesfull side of them.
I am impressed with his footwork. Channeling his inner Neuer. He does seem to have an eccentric side, from what I have seen of him with the First team and the primavera.
You can count on Raiola to make every attempt not to put any pressure on the kid...

Quote:Gianluigi Donnarumma’s agent believes the young goalkeeper “can be Milan’s new Buffon”.

The youngster has played in the Rossoneri’s last two Serie A games, making his debut at just 16-years-old, and drawing comparisons with his namesake, Gianluigi Buffon.

“For the public Donnarumma is a surprise, but not for us,” Vincenzo Raiola told MilanNews.

“He’s a humble lad, he knows how to keep his feet on the ground and he’s shown that with the recent media adulation.

“We’ve focused on him for some years, he can be the goalkeeper of the future. There’s always been great faith in Gigi from our side, it’s good to see him at this level.

“Gigi has always been a Rossonero since childhood, Inter and Juve were very close, and Gigi would have accepted them as they’re big clubs, but in his heart he was waiting for Milan.

“When they came in, he said yes without even thinking. When [joint-CEO Adriano] Galliani contacted us to close the deal, the lad was in seventh-heaven.

“If the club can return to its international appeal, I think he can be Milan’s new Buffon. That’s what we’re all hoping for.

“If the crisis were to continue at Milan though, other decisions could be taken. Not just by the player, but by the club, as they did a few years ago with [Zlatan] Ibra[himovic] and Thiago Silva.

“That is to say, if you believe you have an important product, then you can try to sell it.

“We’re thinking positively though, we believe Milan will return to the Champions League and he’ll be the Rossoneri goalkeeper for the next 20 years like Buffon has done at Juve.”
Siamo a posto cosi.
May be it's just me but I would be worried about throwing 16 year old in crisis situations. I hope I am very wrong. If he is even a semi good Milan player in 5-10 years time this will be a breakthrough in Milan terms in my opinion.
(10-30-2015, 03:37 PM)somedevil Wrote: I am impressed with his footwork. Channeling his inner Neuer. He does seem to have an eccentric side, from what I have seen of him with the First team and the primavera.

Hi Somedevil, I hope Donnarumma will be the Milan's future goalkeeper. Neuer is the best GK in the world for me. He does few mistakes and he saves the "unsavable". He's a great!! ..but the path to become like Neuer is very long and far
(10-30-2015, 05:19 PM)reza Wrote: May be it's just me but I would be worried about throwing 16 year old in crisis situations. I hope I am very wrong. If he is even a semi good Milan player in 5-10 years time this will be a breakthrough in Milan terms in my opinion.

I'm very agree with you, Reza.
Donnarumma is a very good (and young) goalkeeper, but in this situation I think the experience of Diego Lopez is the best thing for the team. Then again Buffon started in Parma FC and only after he went to Juventus. I'm sure that Donnarumma will have a great future, but now is very important for us the experience of an international goalkeeper.

Sagrin
So you would play an out of form Lopez who has been terrible of late just because he has experience?

Age shouldn't be a problem if the quality is there. Having said that, it's important for the club to protect the kid and be ready for him to make mistakes.....because he WILL make them! Don't kill his confidence when he does make them, and keep supporting him.

I agree that 16 for a GK is almost unheard of, but honestly, in the 2 games so far....he hasn't looked out of place at all. On the contrary he has looked calm and very solid. Judging from these 2 games (I've never seen him other than that) there is absolutely no reason to bench him. And to send him to the beach because he is "young" is crazy in my opinion.
Where exactly is Abbiati? As far as I am concerned the issue is not all about playing but protection probably means not even being on the squad. At the beginning of the season he wasn't projected to play and therefore was better off not being on it at all and developing in a non crisis situation any way.
I know some of you will say 'but look Donnarumma has done well', but I am worried about long term. We loaned out a serviceable goalie to a team that really didn't need one, he would have been the more correct choice for third goalie.
I think Mihajlovic is taking a major gamble, but until now it's paying off. It seems people are willing to overlook the mistakes if he can perform with some personality, which he's doing in all honesty.

I was more concerned about him playing before Sassuolo than I am now. Having a couple of good games under his belt will buy him some slack, reducing the potential of burning a young talent. I also think he's coming into the team at a interesting time, as we've seen improvements in performances, but there's caution and lower expectations still due to the troubled times we're coming from, meaning he has a little more security and less pressure. I think if he deserves to play, then let him play, Diego Lopez hasn't done enough to justify the first team spot (no idea what's going on with Abbiati).

To an extent, I think I also just trust Miha in this decision. He's generally been quite good when giving young players an opportunity, the only one potentially at risk of being burned being Ely, who I think is somewhat a victim to the difficult start to the season. The other youngsters are either producing or have been protected/not used as necessary.