Week 23: Palermo - Milan (Wednesday, February 3 - 20:45 CET)
After a very impressive win, we can continue our run against a very inconsistent Palermo team. It will be a bit more difficult because I expect that they will sit back and not allow us much space. We may actually play against Cristante who has been getting a few substitute appearances for Palermo. This is another match where we are expected to get the full 3 points so let's hope that our players can put in the kind of performance that they did yesterday.
Siamo a posto cosi.
There is never an easy game against Palermo. Sad
I hate playing against Palermo away. But we HAVE to win this. I mentioned in the transfers thread.....I think this is part of the 3-4 most important games this season. Our season could have very well ended (or our hopes for 3rd I should say) with a loss against Inter and the team responded well to the pressure. But if we don't win the next 3-4 games than the win against Inter will have been for nothing as we'll probably find ourselves 8-9 points (at least) behind 3rd place again.

As for the game itself, I know that Mihajlovic said he won't change the winning formula (and he is right), but I would like to see Montolivo, Kucka and Bertolacci on the field at the same time. I like Niang, but I think he can have more of an impact during the last 20-30 minutes. He just doesn't get involved in the build up enough for me as a SS. I don't think we can afford to have 2 players (Bacca and Niang) who don't get involved.

-----------------Donnarumma--------
Abate - Alex - Roma - Antonelli
---------Monto--------Kucka---------
Honda-------------------------Bona
---------------Bertolacci-------------
-----------Bacca---------------------

Bertolacci something of a hybrid player between midfield and attack. He can be an AM when we are in possession, or simply a CM. Regardless, he will get in the box and also pick up the ball further up the field. He can similarly operate in similar areas that Niang does but he does have midfielder tendencies and that will help out our game play. On top of that, he will provide more solidity to our midfield when we are defending.

It's just an idea......I know that we won't see it against Palermo. But either way, whatever we see (I expect it to be the same starting 11 as against Inter), we have to win no matter what. I don't care if it's an ugly 1-0 by a PK. We need these 3 points.
(02-02-2016, 06:27 AM)nefremo Wrote: I hate playing against Palermo away. But we HAVE to win this. I mentioned in the transfers thread.....I think this is part of the 3-4 most important games this season. Our season could have very well ended (or our hopes for 3rd I should say) with a loss against Inter and the team responded well to the pressure. But if we don't win the next 3-4 games than the win against Inter will have been for nothing as we'll probably find ourselves 8-9 points (at least) behind 3rd place again.

As for the game itself, I know that Mihajlovic said he won't change the winning formula (and he is right), but I would like to see Montolivo, Kucka and Bertolacci on the field at the same time. I like Niang, but I think he can have more of an impact during the last 20-30 minutes. He just doesn't get involved in the build up enough for me as a SS. I don't think we can afford to have 2 players (Bacca and Niang) who don't get involved.

-----------------Donnarumma--------
Abate - Alex - Roma - Antonelli
---------Monto--------Kucka---------
Honda-------------------------Bona
---------------Bertolacci-------------
-----------Bacca---------------------

Bertolacci something of a hybrid player between midfield and attack. He can be an AM when we are in possession, or simply a CM. Regardless, he will get in the box and also pick up the ball further up the field. He can similarly operate in similar areas that Niang does but he does have midfielder tendencies and that will help out our game play. On top of that, he will provide more solidity to our midfield when we are defending.

It's just an idea......I know that we won't see it against Palermo. But either way, whatever we see (I expect it to be the same starting 11 as against Inter), we have to win no matter what. I don't care if it's an ugly 1-0 by a PK. We need these 3 points.

I like the idea of that midfield. However, I think Bacca needs Niang to do the dirty work for him. He's just there to be a complete poacher and score goals through the service of Niang. I don't think Bertolacci can do that for him. Still, the idea of Kucka, Monto, and Bertolacci playing at the same time is a really unique idea; one that we should try out against Alessandria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about menez instead of Niang. Its his natural position, and if he can replicate last years form he can lift us up seriously.
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.
I'd stick to the lineup from the derby, only changing if any players are fatigued. I wouldn't change Niang at this point, he delivered in the derby, not really sure why he's in question. Plus, imagine the impact it could have on him mentally, he worked hard, made an assist and scored a goal and his reward is the bench. Montolivo specifically named him yesterday when talking about the whole team defending, noting how Niang a couple of times tracked back all the way to our corner flags to support the defence. I think it's a sign of how his teammates appreciate him.
I agree with what people are saying about keeping Niang staying in. Ultimately for me he is the better fit now. Bacca needs to be in the last third at all times ready to score.

I will say watching Balo-Berto-Bona playing at the end against Inter was entertaining. If we have an opportunity to play them in an exploratory lineup (maybe against Alessandria) we should try it.
I would stick to Niang too. Bertolacci has been performing below par recently, and I don't want to gamble with him.

How ready is Menez? Any sure news?
(02-02-2016, 06:19 PM)xudong Wrote: I would stick to Niang too. Bertolacci has been performing below par recently, and I don't want to gamble with him.

How ready is Menez? Any sure news?

He doesn't seem to be able to play a half, from what I gather.

I can see him come on for the last 15 mins if things are going well.
Abbiati, Donnarumma, Livieri
Abate, Alex, Antonelli, Calabria, De Sciglio, Romagnoli, Simic, Zapata
Bertolacci, Bonaventura, Jose Mauri, Kucka, Montolivo, Poli
Bacca, Balotelli, Boateng, Honda, Menez, Niang