Summer Mercato 2016
I believe that if the losses are so big, Silvio is first of all going to change his mind and accept an offer for majority shares. If that doesn't work, he'll lower the valuation of the club. Those will be the options available and he'll take one of them. Selling assets to balance books is no longer an option...I firmly believe that. Now that he's made the first step to accepting bids for sale of the club, that's pretty obvious that this is the route we'll take to cover losses.

Remember, until last year selling any part of the club was never an option. So what did we have to do in years of bad losses and Silvio's reluctance to spend? Sell players/assets. It looks like we have moved on from that with Silvio's willingness to sell the club (parts of it at least), so it would make no sense to sell assets at this point just to cover losses. It makes no sense. It's either accept a lower valuation (or majority sales of shares) and MAKE "less" money....or sell assets just so you can LOSE "less". The better option is very clear at the moment...and as crazy and senile Silvio may be....this is a no brainer.

The pressure from Marina and Fininvest shareholders is also building up I'm sure. Fininvest doesn't want to cover the losses anymore and Silvio won't spend that kind of money out of pocket. He isn't even allowed to. Selling assets will only devalue the brand further so he's back at the same point.

My guess is that we won't sell big players JUST to balance the books. We may sell a few players in order to aide money for other operations (squad improvements), but the balancing of the books will come from an outside investment. Whether Silvio lowers the valuation or accepts to sell majority.
Well said, nefremo. To a reasonable person, that is indeed the correct course of action. My only concern is, Berlusconi is not using his brain these days to make decisions. Instead of making sensible decisions based on the information he has, he seems more interested in getting in front of a camera, stick his chest out and grab his balls to show everyone what a real man he is. All the decisions seem to be made based on intuitions aided by an adrenalin rush, but in reality make very little sense. I would like to think this situation would be different, because Fininvest will be involved. But in all honesty, I would not be surprised if Berlu holds out for that 1B even if it means selling all clubs assets just to buy himself some time again.
(03-16-2016, 09:05 AM)slifersd Wrote: Well said, nefremo. To a reasonable person, that is indeed the correct course of action. My only concern is, Berlusconi is not using his brain these days to make decisions. Instead of making sensible decisions based on the information he has, he seems more interested in getting in front of a camera, stick his chest out and grab his balls to show everyone what a real man he is. All the decisions seem to be made based on intuitions aided by an adrenalin rush, but in reality make very little sense. I would like to think this situation would be different, because Fininvest will be involved. But in all honesty, I would not be surprised if Berlu holds out for that 1B even if it means selling all clubs assets just to buy himself some time again.

Actually, I think Berlu is a bit smarter than that, he wouldn't have done whatever he did if this guy used only his intuition.
We need to understand there is the public Berlusconi, this clown for medias, this guy who will say everything and its contrary the day after just to be on the first pages and head titlesĀ of the newspapers. This part of Berlusconi looks stupid for sure.

The problem is Galliani IMO : he plays the same game with medias. But it looks like nowadays, he's been the same also with no medias (the guy who goes in holidays during the mercato window ... seriously ?!).
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
Just a point which might be of interest, but there's a couple of things that leave me wondering about our situation at the moment. The first is that Barbara declared that this season's goal is EL. That might have been at a time when things were looking difficult for CL, but it's also a time when people were hopeful we could make. Another is this comment from Galliani last summer, where he said that not qualifying for CL is not a disaster. Third is Silvio's recent comment that he sets the goals slightly higher than what's realistic, and he's set the goal at CL football this season.

Point is, we're on target for EL as things stand. It just all makes me wonder if we did plan for not qualifying for CL this season. Perhaps it's me hoping more than anything, but does make me wonder how realistic the management are in setting goals.

edit: also apparently Finninvest said no to getting Ibra back.
(03-16-2016, 02:19 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Just a point which might be of interest, but there's a couple of things that leave me wondering about our situation at the moment. The first is that Barbara declared that this season's goal is EL. That might have been at a time when things were looking difficult for CL, but it's also a time when people were hopeful we could make. Another is this comment from Galliani last summer, where he said that not qualifying for CL is not a disaster. Third is Silvio's recent comment that he sets the goals slightly higher than what's realistic, and he's set the goal at CL football this season.

Point is, we're on target for EL as things stand. It just all makes me wonder if we did plan for not qualifying for CL this season. Perhaps it's me hoping more than anything, but does make me wonder how realistic the management are in setting goals.

edit: also apparently Finninvest said no to getting Ibra back.

Well, I think if B&G come in the medias saying that we are rebuilding, that it will take time and fans need to wait, both medias and the fans will bash them. So they officially say we want CL (if we were seriously aiming for a CL spot, our target would be the title in all honesty) but a come back in Europe thanks to the Europa League will probably make them happy IF we target a win in this competition next season. That would even be a logical rebuilding process (yes, something could be logical in our club ?!) : no Europe for 2 years, EL then, and CL again after that. Step by step.
Whatever the intention, just back it up in the transfer window and no I am not saying spend 100 million, just good correct signings. If you are not capable then hire someone (a proper sporting director) who can.
Agree with both of you. I'm pessimistic when it comes to the management, but I don't rule out that we didn't start a project last summer. I think the proof in the pudding will be seeing what's done this summer.
(03-16-2016, 09:16 AM)GeoTav Wrote: Actually, I think Berlu is a bit smarter than that, he wouldn't have done whatever he did if this guy used only his intuition.
We need to understand there is the public Berlusconi, this clown for medias, this guy who will say everything and its contrary the day after just to be on the first pages and head titlesĀ of the newspapers. This part of Berlusconi looks stupid for sure.

The problem is Galliani IMO : he plays the same game with medias. But it looks like nowadays, he's been the same also with no medias (the guy who goes in holidays during the mercato window ... seriously ?!).

I'd like to think Berlu is smarter than that as well, but I can't find any reason to suggest he is. If you look at some of the decisions this team has made on various fronts, the lack of planning and execution is alarming. Issues such as team building, stadium, team sale, sporting director and CEO have been handled as awfully as i can possibly imagine. As a guy who is the true example of a self made billionaire, I have a hard time understanding how Berlu's analytical brain actually came up with any of this. Whatever genius he has behind the scenes, he certainly isn't using them to make sound decisions for our team.

Galliani is indeed the problem, but then again, who is the guy who put him in charge of the whole soccer operation? Who continues to stick up for Galliani even as Barbara pushes for more control and fans protest? A lot of the problems this team currently faces do not directly involve Berlu, but he is the mastermind behind the entire team, and therefore can't be excused from taking responsibilities here.
(03-16-2016, 06:13 PM)slifersd Wrote: I'd like to think Berlu is smarter than that as well, but I can't find any reason to suggest he is. If you look at some of the decisions this team has made on various fronts, the lack of planning and execution is alarming. Issues such as team building, stadium, team sale, sporting director and CEO have been handled as awfully as i can possibly imagine. As a guy who is the true example of a self made billionaire, I have a hard time understanding how Berlu's analytical brain actually came up with any of this. Whatever genius he has behind the scenes, he certainly isn't using them to make sound decisions for our team.

Galliani is indeed the problem, but then again, who is the guy who put him in charge of the whole soccer operation? Who continues to stick up for Galliani even as Barbara pushes for more control and fans protest? A lot of the problems this team currently faces do not directly involve Berlu, but he is the mastermind behind the entire team, and therefore can't be excused from taking responsibilities here.

Is he still the only mastermind behind the entire team ? It looks to me like there are several new parts involved in our decisions compared to the glorious days ...
Furthermore, he's been far away from the club for years, it's been only one season and a half since a while we see him so close to Milan on a regular frequency again. Our current team can be the basis for a new winning team, I prefer being optimistic even if a lot of signs could make us lose any hope for the future.
There's a pretty good article from Gazzetta today about possible changes in the squad this summer. It focuses on those in the squad now, not potential targets. I generally agree with the comments in there:

http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/news/se...er-summer/