Summer Mercato 2016
Depends on what we mean by ambition and top, winning Serie A or getting close in CL is nowhere close with what we have. Keeping Donna, Romagnoli and Bonaventura is probably just 25% of what's needed, if that much. Since I don't see us spending any ambition talk is just talk.
I had dream last night. I spoke to Berlusconi and he promised me to kick out Galiani from the club at the end of the season. Maybe it's a prophet dream Big Grin
Avaiting forĀ arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
(04-02-2016, 07:33 AM)somedevil Wrote: Gabriel made a huge mistake when he rejected Carpi for Napoli. Even then I failed to understand why he'd make that move.

I agree, he tried to walk before he could crawl is the best way to put it. Gabriel wasn't a bad goalkeeper, but Donnarumma at a much younger age is showing much more promise. There's certain things Gigi has that even the most experienced goalkeepers dont have. For one, goalkeepers remotely close to his size dont get down nearly as quick as him, literally Neuer is one of the only ones and he's almost the exact same height as Gigi. Even some of the greatest GK's of his size like Van der Sar almost always had troubles with getting down to make saves, and he in particular was frequently criticised for that and I also remember Italian soccer analysts on TV talking about how we should exploit it in the CL year where we eliminated Man U. Donnarumma has the amazing ability to get down to make those saves like I've never seen before on someone his size.

Even with all the attention and great saves Donnarumma has made this season, it doesn't do him justice. If he had a more solid midfield and defense in front of him, he'd already be considered a top goalkeeper.
I read that Gabriel played today for Napoli against Udinese. They lost 1-3, and it didn't seem that Gabriel had a good game. Despite that he saved a penalty kick, he had a blunder that led to Udinese' second goal.

I agree with somedevil that Gabriel made a big mistake by rejecting Carpi. I think that ship has sailed, and honestly I don't regret not keeping him. He really hasn't shown much with the few chances we gave him. Donnarumma has way higher potential than Gabriel, and as Dev (and others) said, Donnarumma is already one of the best goalkeepers in Italy these days.
Taarabt on loan Ben Arfa free ....extend Boateng

---------Balotelli---Menez-----------
Taarabt---Boateng----Ben Arfa------

If we're going to continue being a joke at least be a hilariously bad joke.
Balo, Menez, Taraabt, Ben Arfa. These guys are time bomb, we never know when they 'explode'. Even if Ben Arfa is free, Im not excited if we go for hin.
Ben Arfa has been doing well in a lower key place like Nice, taking this as a sign that he can be good despite previous failures is a huge risk. I am not talking about his character only, his playing too.
Ben Arfa'd playing has never really been the big problem. The talent has always been undeniable. Problem was always his fights/arguments with coaches/teammates/management....and than some horrific injuries like the leg break caused by De Jong.

I don't think we should be doubting his ability. In terms of ability he'd easily be the best winger in the club. If he stays healthy (which apart from a couple of minor things, he's done this year) and doesn't get "pissy" (again, he hasn't done this in a while too, or I haven't read anything)...than he'd be a quality signing. The fact that he'd come on a free, is a big bonus.
I think it's about time that we as a team start signing guys who have good leadership qualities and stop bringing in knuckle heads who has some talent.

If the last few seasons have taught me anything, it's that this team, for all the things we talk about missing, is completely devoid of strong leaders within its playing staff. Sure, most of the players on this team wouldn't have cracked the Milan of old but we still have a fair amount of talent on the roster. And yet, time and time again, we get beaten by teams who have far fewer talent than we do (Atlanta this past weekend a prime example of this). And all of this, to me, had to do with the fact that we have absolutely zero leadership in the locker room. Nobody outside the coaching staff would speak up and call out players for slacking off, failing their assignments or being careless when playing. Having the right mix of characters in the locker room is paramount in building a winning team mentality and chemistry. Teams with good chemistry often over achieve despite having no talent, while teams with bad chemistry always under achieve given their talent level. When we had strong leaders like we did back in the CL days, we were often the team that could turn clay into gold. Nowadays, we are a graveyard for even world class players.

Players like Ben Arfa, Balotelli, Zapata and Menez need to be kept away from a team like ours right now. Instead, we need to look for guys who have strong leadership skills to completely change the culture of the locker room. We need guys who can make sure everyone pays attention during tape study, trains their best during sessions and stay on high alert during matches.
The Milanello environment is like a resort for the players these days and have caused massive problems for coaches because they can't keep track of everyone's whereabouts 24/7 with a squad this large. Until we can fix the culture of the team with a new set of players, no talent in the world can save us from being mediocre every year. Situations where players would basically quit on games because they don't think the manager will be here long enough cannot happen again.
It's hard to argue that point. Everything you are saying is absolutely correct.

But in the right environment even guys like Ben Arfa can benefit the team. It's not a crime to have a player like that....but it's bad to have Menez, Balo, Boateng, Ben Arfa all together.

We need to look at the player's character before signing them and if it doesn't fit if/when signed, we need to show them the door. Unfortunately, some great players come with challenging characters and sometimes you give it a go according to the circumstances.

Either way, I'd love to get a super talented RW with a great character and hunger. But who? And for how much? And will they be willing to come? We need to start playing entertaining football, winning games, scoring goals, get back in the CL. Than it'll be easier.

And about your last part.......it's a great point. We've seen that happen in each of the last 3 seasons.....where the management(Berlusconi mainly when it comes to this) creates a toxic environment and criticizes the coach after a couple of losses immediately dividing the players. Do they side with the coach? Do they side with the president? Do they start arguing with the coach and not caring about criticism cuz they know he'll be gone? It's a terrible situation.

The word from the management needs to be:"We have a project, we chose this coach and he will be here for a while no matter what! You either get in line or we'll find you a different club club to play in, or kill your career by making you rot in the stands for the remaining of your contract!"