Most underrated footballers
I agree with you on Makalele.

(02-15-2016, 03:50 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Busquets is so often identified as a player that's underrated, that I honestly don't think he's underrated anymore.

So true. Big Grin
Thiago Motta (like it's been mentioned) was the first player that came to my mind from the current crop of players. He is a prime example of an underrated player. A great holding CM that's on par with ANYONE in that position imo, but for some reason he never gets mentioned together with other elite names in that position.
(02-13-2016, 05:09 AM)edysim Wrote: I always thought Miroslav Klose was underrated, he did score for his clubs as well as national team, in fact, one of WC top goalscorers, but was not really deemed star player with his club/NT.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I would not agree with Klose being underrated. He certainly is rated and- as I feel it- constantly gets the idioms of the poisonous striker that he is. It is not like his name is rarely mentioned and it is not like he is looked down upon or ignored in any sense imo.

Klose is rated the way he should be rated.

To the list of underated players I'd  would like to add Victor Valdes. Almost 10/10 times he is mentioned it is in a bad or almost bullying manner which is just not fair. People only remember his horrible mistakes he did and forget the brilliat GK he actually was. Of course the Barca he took part in were flooded with Godlike players so it is not too surprising he was/is overshadowed by these. Still he is a player that gets an undeserved amount of mockery and an undeserved amount of praise. A great GK in my world.

No mentions for Montolivo yet?  Tongue (There's always a fanboy who tries to defend him)
(02-16-2016, 10:08 PM)nefremo Wrote: Thiago Motta (like it's been mentioned) was the first player that came to my mind from the current crop of players. He is a prime example of an underrated player. A great holding CM that's on par with ANYONE in that position imo, but for some reason he never gets mentioned together with other elite names in that position.

Basically every player in that position is underrated.
Most underrated footballer for me is Matthew Le Tissier. Players like Ronaldo and Kaka kept you on the edge of your seat when they dribbled past defenders in full speed. But this guy, you could almost swear that he WALKED past them. His nonchalant ball control, his ridiculously beautiful goals, I mean you expect such quality from a Brazilian or Dutch player, not from an overweight Englishman with ugly haircut.

Maldini stayed with Milan throughout his entire career and people called him loyal. Le God did the same for Southampton and was accused of lacking ambition. Whatever. Few players fill me with such joy watching them.
per l'amaro e il dolce
Le Tissier was definitely underrated by the world game and England national team coaches. His talent was pretty incredible, his problem generally being his lack of discipline and work ethic. Also, I always felt he was in the wrong country lol. He was a traditional playmaker who wasn't known to work hard, which in England in the early 90s was difficult to accept in the game.
(02-17-2016, 11:58 AM)Nalx Wrote: Most underrated footballer for me is Matthew Le Tissier. Players like Ronaldo and Kaka kept you on the edge of your seat when they dribbled past defenders in full speed. But this guy, you could almost swear that he WALKED past them. His nonchalant ball control, his ridiculously beautiful goals, I mean you expect such quality from a Brazilian or Dutch player, not from an overweight Englishman with ugly haircut.

Maldini stayed with Milan throughout his entire career and people called him loyal. Le God did the same for Southampton and was accused of lacking ambition. Whatever. Few players fill me with such joy watching them.

I never really paid close attention to Le Tisser despite that I knew of him (and might have even watched a few games of his) and his reputation of scoring fantastic goals (but even Mexes is known for that too Grinundwech). Now that you rate him so highly, that made me wish that I followed him more closely when he was playing. 

About that statement, I think it is simply because that Southampton wasn't/isn't a big team and never won anything big. Even Totti was accused of lacking ambition for staying in Roma for all his career. Wink
I would say Le Tissier's skills and techniques are not that far off Cantona, the way they dribble past def, the beautiful goals they score( even posture is similar), perhaps as good as, except that the former is an underrated Englishman and 'only' plays for Southampton.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
aka edysim
Would David Alaba count as being underrated? I think he's one of the best footballers in the world and is key to Bayern's system. Can play anywhere in the back line and in midfield. Don't think he gets enough credit (at least in mainstream press)
Siamo a posto cosi.
I can think of the following players who are underrated:

1- Jon Dahl Tomasson:
Top scorer for NT with 52 goals. Always gave 100% for what he had to offer, even the first one found the back of net in Istanbul final, when others couldn't keep their cool.

2- Klaas Jan Huntelaar:
If the Dutch had played him as a striker in 2010 WC and 2014 WC, who knows, they could have potentially one better on both occasion. Still 42 goals in 76 games for the Dutch mean he is one of the very best strikers around. 

3- Maniche
One of the most lively and enjoyable box to box midfielders, who kept his best for big occasions. Remember his stunning goal(s) against the Dutch in Euro 2004 and WC 2006, which eliminated them on both ocassions.

4- Wesley Sneijder
This guy deserved the best footballer award in 2010 ahead of Messi. Its as simple as that.

5- Frank Lampard
I rate him above Zidane, Xavi, Seedorf, Gerrard, Ballack, Pirlo & Alonso.

6- Fernando Morientes
I still don't understand, why Real Madrid had so much trust in Raul, and so less in Morientes? He was a monster in 2003-04 season for Monoco and looked unstoppable at times. 

7- Morton Games Pederson
He always played a decent game whenever I saw him. One of the last true classic wingers I could think of. At one point Alex Fergusen was considering him a Ryan Giggs successor.

8- Phil Jagielka
Considering that EPL pundits and analysts make every Rushford into next Maradona, Pele etc, I am surprised they never highlighted him.
Argentina will win the World Cup 2022
Formerly mzk57