Team Lineup
Seeing as we're embarking on a new exciting adventure, with all the new signings we're making there is a lot of discussion on what our base lineup will be in the coming season.

I'm interested in seeing what system and players people on the forum choose. What is your favoured system and lineup? Obviously some assumptions can be made, such as assuming we'll get another forward this summer as F&M pretty much confirmed it.

Personally, I'd go with a system Montella's very familiar with from his time at Fiorentina. Basically a 3-5-2, the lineup looked like this...

---------------------------Viviano----------------------------
---------Roncaglia--Rodriguez---Savic------------
---------------------------Pizarro-----------------------------
Cuadrado---Badelj----------Valero--------Pasqual
------------------------------Ljalic-----------------------------
-----------------------------Jovetic---------------------------

For us, having 3 at the back means we have better options to build from the back. Bonucci in particular has benefitted in the past when the central figure of a back 3, but I think Romagnoli would also hugely benefit from not being the only ball player from the back. 

The other aspect of this system is it would allow for a high pressing game but more importantly is built for a possession based game, with effectively two diamonds at the back and in midfield. This would allow the team to dominate in central areas without ever conceding numerical advantage in the midfield.

As for the lineup, I'd go with Donarumma in goal, Musacchio, Bonucci and Romagnoli in defence. Conti and RR would take up positions in wide areas with Biglia in front of the defence. The other midfielders would probably be less fixed, though Kessie and Bonaventura have done well in preseason so far. In attack, the role to support the striker can be taken on by many, with Andre Silva, Calhanoglu, Suso and Bonaventura all in with a good shout (not all would be supporting forwards). Even Niang if he stays can do well there. Up front, it surely would be the top striker the club are after, with Belotti or Aubameyang still the hottest names.

Even with the names mentioned there is a lot of variety. Each player has their own qualities and even without significant changes in shape, you can get varying approaches to games just dependent on who's playing.
Having 3 top CBs reminds me of the season we bought Stam when Maldini & Nesta were the starting pair. However, there was no big team played with back 3 at that time and we did not have 2 attacking wing backs at their prime (Cafu & Serghinho were very old).

I think 3 CB formation will be our main, but playing one of Musa/Roma as side back and a pair of defensive wing forwards could be very useful in some tight EL/CL matches.

------------------------------------Donnarumma-----------------------------------
---Musa-------------Bonu-----------------------------Roma-----------------RR--
---------------------------------------Biglia------------------------------------------
----------Kessie----------------------------------------------Locatelli--------------
---Silva--------------------------------------------------------------------Niang----
----------------------------------Expensive Striker---------------------------------

This is just for special situation:
- Musa at the right because he is short (1m80) and RR is better than any our sideback at defense.
- I see Locatelli as a box-to-box, not regista.
- Silva instead of Borini as right defensive wing forward.

Quite stable and unbreakable, yet still can provide lethal attack/counter.
I am surprised there is no Bonaventura, Suso, or Calhanoglu in your formation.

I think one of the best attributes of this squad right now is the versatility we could possibly have. I believe the best formation right now is a 3-5-1-1 as it puts our best players on the field, but there is other ways that we can line up and stay unpredictable.

(3-5-1-1)
-----------------------Donnarumma-------------------------
------------Musacchio - Bonucci - Romagnoli------------
Conti ---------------------Biglia--------------------------RR
---------------Kessie------------------Hakan----------------
------------------------Suso/Jack----------------------------
-----------------------Andre Silva---------------------------

(4-2-3-1)
------------------------Donnarumma-------------------------
Conti-------------Bonucci-------Romagnoli---------------RR
-----------------Locatelli----------------Biglia-------------------
---Suso--------------------Hakan------------------------Jack---
----------------------------Andre Silva--------------------------

(3-4-2-1)
Conti -------------Kessie-----------Biglia---------------RR
---------------Suso------------------Hakan/Jack-----------
------------------------Andre Silva--------------------------

(4-3-3)
-----------------Kessie-----Biglia-------Hakan--------------
---Suso--------------------------------------------------Jack---
-------------------------Andre Silva-------------------------

(4-3-2-1)
Conti-------------- Bonucci - Romagnoli--------------RR
-----------------------------Biglia----------------------------
---------------Kessie------------------Hakan----------------
-------------------------Suso----Jack------------------------
--------------------------Andre Silva------------------------
(07-25-2017, 03:28 AM)nefremo Wrote: I am surprised there is no Bonaventura, Suso, or Calhanoglu in your formation.

(4-2-3-1)
-----------------Locatelli----------------Biglia-------------------
---Suso--------------------Hakan------------------------Jack---
----------------------------Andre Silva--------------------------

You can't have all three on the bench... leaves us with literally NO creativity...

Only thing I'd change in that is Kessie instead of Loca. That's a pretty good team... My issue is that we lack sufficient backups in LW/RW currently being Borini/Niang one of which is up for sale... I suppose we where linked with Ghazzal but he's not great either... 
And same as I've said before... if we do get an Auba/Belotti I hope we move to two up front... Silva has shown the potential to be special... He won't be special sitting on the bench.
----------------------------Dollar-----------------------------
---------------Suso------------------Hakan/Jack-----------
------------------------Andre Silva--------------------------

i like this formation from nefremo, but with this formation we dont go buy another striker

----------------------------Dollar-----------------------------
------------------------Hakan/Jack--------------------------
---------------Suso/new striker----Silva-------------------

maybe this one
All formations of you guys look nice, thanks to great flexiibility our squad possess.  Okmilan

My suggestion is just for some special situations. Bona, Hakan, Suso could not defend very well. A little defensive mind could win us some important matches. In CL finals: Real won Aletico by playing counter attack, Inter 2010 with 2 defensive forwards, Milan 2007 were Xmas tree, Milan 1994 played Desaily as make-shift DM. I love Milan 2003, but we only won by penalty with a line up of most world class players at their prime. Except for Barca who blessed with a dominating squad, a little cautious is better, 2005 is still a painful memory for me.

Of course, I do not like watching Milan in my above line up every match Big Grin

EDIT: Loca is not bad at creating chances. He also has great energy and very excited at big matches (maybe too excited). I don't believe in him for regista because he could be over excited and he is still naive, but he quite good if allow to attack.
We still do not know if suso will stay, although the players themselves still want to stay but can not ensure this player will stay or not. Coach Montella will likely continue to use the 4-3-3 pattern, meaning there will be another winger who will replace suso. Could he be Cuadrado ..
Andre Silva is not the type of player that can play alone up front, at least not with Suso and Hakan behind him, both of them can not profit from him holding the ball or assisting. He combines very well, but he needs someone to combine with.
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.
For the start of this season (Serie A, not EL because not everybody is ready), I would like to see something like that with our current players :
Donna
Musacchio - Bonucci - Romagnoli
Conti -------------------------------- Ric Rod
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Cutrone - Bona

Or ...

Donna
Conti - Bonucci - Romagnoli - Ric Rod
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Calha - Bona
Cutrone

I put Cutrone up front because I don't know André Silva enough and I'd like to see Cutrone being given a chance ...
I'd also like to see a 2 striker formation. In all cases, we will have a real bench with quality, and that's an amazing change in a few weeks !
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
Some good lineups in here. I think nefremo's post really drives home the point on flexibility of what we've got, it's an exciting moment for both fans, but I also bet for Montella and his staff too.

(07-25-2017, 07:36 AM)umroh murah Wrote: We still do not know if suso will stay, although the players themselves still want to stay but can not ensure this player will stay or not. Coach Montella will likely continue to use the 4-3-3 pattern, meaning there will be another winger who will replace suso. Could he be Cuadrado ..

I don't think Suso is leaving, the club and him have never suggested that he'll be leaving and the club have already rejected two official bids out of hand for him I believe.

I also don't think Montella will stick with 4-3-3. He has done so until now in preseason, but I see that more in preparation for this week's EL match and it's the system the players from last season are most familiar with. After this week, I think we'll see the team change over the next month.