AC MILAN vs AS ROMA 1ST OCTOBER
so we will be facing roma this week, i don't think we can win this match if the team keep this kind of performance, imo we need to start silva, loca and shift the defense to 4 man again, surely roma make so many mistake in this 3 man defense.
2-1 Roma
We switched to 3 mainly for Bonucci didn't we? He has been caught out at least handful of times this season. At the very least the high line is not workable and should be set aside for now, but to drop back means the mid should too. Based on recent games I don't think any coach, not just Montella, can fix this fundamental change in a week or so. May be international break coming up is good but then many of players will be away.
No need for a change in formation. The 3-5-2 is more than fine. Sylrus, yes Romagnoli has made a couple of mistakes, but I think overall he has been very solid. It's actually been Bonucci that's been the worst of them all. If he wasn't called Bonucci and wasn't the captain, he would certainly be seeing the bench right now. But hopefully he can work through this and gain form. I never thought that Bonucci was an exceptional defender or anything like that as I have mentioned that several times....but I certainly didn't expect this type of bad performances either. So, I know he is better than what he is showing right now and hopefully we'll see it soon enough.

As for the game itself, again, there is no need to change the formation. It's not the problem. The problem is the attitude. Montella said this today: "I really liked the reaction after we went on 2-2 with Rijeka and would love that attitude for the full 95 minutes". This is exactly the thing that I was talking about in the Rijeka thread and I am glad Montella points it out as a problem. Maybe we finally will see that same "hungry" attitude from the start of the game and we will play Sunday's game with urgency and intensity both on the offensive and the defensive side. This, imo, is the main problem. Let's see if Montella changes this leisurely approach to games from our players or if he is all talk.

It's funny, but many times when the games start, after the first 5-10 minutes you can tell if it will be a good game or a bad one. More often than not, I say to my self "NOT AGAIN"......when I see the slow passing, the just jogging around attitude, not forcing the issue, not putting the pressure on from the 1st minute. Hopefully that changes tomorrow and we will see the side with fire in their eyes from the very first minute. It really does make a difference. I think the game against Austria Vienna is the only one we approached with the right attitude this season. As a result, we created several great opportunities in the very first 10 minutes and scored a couple of goals early on. That team didn't know what hit them and they knew deep inside that they have no chance of getting anything out of that game....while our players fed off of that enthusiasm and kept playing with speed and quality because we grew in confidence which helped us become even sharper in our passing and decision making. Sure, the opponent wasn't great, but neither was Rijeka. You can see how the right attitude and intensity can make a big difference.
I put this on twitter few minutes ago

(09-30-2017, 05:42 PM)reza Wrote: I put this on twitter few minutes ago

I say he's gone but I don't think Ancelotti will come.  I think he's holding out for the national team job in 2020.  It scares me to think we could hire Lippi to takeover.
I feel the same way. Even if we lose both games, Ancelotti probably still won't come. He has turned us down once. I believe that Guangzhou Evergrande has made him an monster offer, so we have no chance. Actually, even if Ancelotti did come, I am not fully convinced that he would still be the best option for us.

I don't think that we should abandon the 3-man option either.

So, let's hope that we don't need to answer those hypothetical questions. Wink
In terms of a formation, I would really like to see Locatelli and Biglia playing together in a double pivot in front of that back 3. In front of them give Bonaventura or Calhanoglu a free role. I think that will solidify the middle amd keep everything nice and tight. Locatelli and Biglia will keep things ticking simple. They are also the only midfielders that win the ball consitently (with addition to Kessie but he does a little bit different type of work). Locatelli for example was the only midfielder against Rijeka that was close enough to his mark the entire game. Close enough to disrupt the game and put in a tackle.

I mean, if Montella thinks that Montolivo and Biglia can be on the field at the same time...then why not Locatelli and Biglia?? Kessie can certainly use a break also
(10-01-2017, 03:31 AM)nefremo Wrote: In terms of a formation, I would really like to see Locatelli and Biglia playing together in a double pivot in front of that back 3. In front of them give Bonaventura or Calhanoglu a free role. I think that will solidify the middle amd keep everything nice and tight. Locatelli and Biglia will keep things ticking simple. They are also the only midfielders that win the ball consitently (with addition to Kessie but he does a little bit different type of work). Locatelli for example was the only midfielder against Rijeka that was close enough to his mark the entire game. Close enough to disrupt the game and put in a tackle.

I mean, if Montella thinks that Montolivo and Biglia can be on the field at the same time...then why not Locatelli and Biglia?? Kessie can certainly use a break also

Why not use a 3-4-2-1?
3-4-2-1 is probably what fits us the best, but I do think that having 2 CFs in this game will put more pressure on Roma's backline. Anyhow, as it's been said before.....this game won't be about the formation at all. It will be about the right attitude and intensity. We have to start playing with confidence and intensity.