Alessio Romagnoli
The previous thread got closed, so I thought it'd be good to have a thread for this guy. First of all, I think he's probably the best performing CB in Italy at this moment in time (Koulibaly possibly being the biggest claim to that).

Anyway, Fassone was asked about his renewal and responded that there is a meeting scheduled in the next few weeks with his agent, though it's not the biggest priority right now (I believe the current contract is until 2020).
This guy's been exceptional lately, really impressed with how well he's stepped up at the back. If he continues at this level, it honestly won't be long before he can be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro.

That leads me to another point, the one thing that makes Romagnoli so special is he's actually a defender first. He's got ball playing skills and other qualities, but first and foremost he has the traditional defensive ability that made Italian defenders famous in the past. He's got man marking skills (albeit in the more modern sense), he's excellent at reading the game, he's firm in the challenge and won't take unnecessary risks as a defender. His positioning has always been good, but lately it's pretty much flawless. His biggest weakness previously was probably his ability to defend 1 v 1, but he's stepped up in this aspect of the game remarkably well.

I have mentioned it in the past, but I reiterate that I think this guy is our future captain after Bonucci. In terms of personality and character, he's a real leader on the pitch and talks to his teammates all the time (something he's learnt under Mihajlovic in the Sampdoria days). He's also maturing as an individual and I think in terms having respect and the correct temperament, he's well suited to captaincy. I know people might prefer a homegrown player or someone who hasn't said they support Lazio as captain, but I think Romagnoli's proven himself very capable.

Edit: Also if they keep it up, it won't be long before Italy's backline is Donnarumma, Calabria, Bonucci and Romagnoli with a LB from another club.
Definitely one of my favourite Milan players right now. Absolute rock in the defense at the moment. You're right in that he's probably up there as one of, if not the, best defender in Italy at the moment. I think people will look past his Lazio fandom as long as he proves to be a good leader for us. Don't forget the same fans who were throwing fake money at Donnarumma are loving him as his saves keep us in games Big Grin
Siamo a posto cosi.
(03-01-2018, 01:54 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: This guy's been exceptional lately, really impressed with how well he's stepped up at the back. If he continues at this level, it honestly won't be long before he can be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro.

That leads me to another point, the one thing that makes Romagnoli so special is he's actually a defender first. He's got ball playing skills and other qualities, but first and foremost he has the traditional defensive ability that made Italian defenders famous in the past. He's got man marking skills (albeit in the more modern sense), he's excellent at reading the game, he's firm in the challenge and won't take unnecessary risks as a defender. His positioning has always been good, but lately it's pretty much flawless. His biggest weakness previously was probably his ability to defend 1 v 1, but he's stepped up in this aspect of the game remarkably well.

I have mentioned it in the past, but I reiterate that I think this guy is our future captain after Bonucci. In terms of personality and character, he's a real leader on the pitch and talks to his teammates all the time (something he's learnt under Mihajlovic in the Sampdoria days). He's also maturing as an individual and I think in terms having respect and the correct temperament, he's well suited to captaincy. I know people might prefer a homegrown player or someone who hasn't said they support Lazio as captain, but I think Romagnoli's proven himself very capable.

Edit: Also if they keep it up, it won't be long before Italy's backline is Donnarumma, Calabria, Bonucci and Romagnoli with a LB from another club.

With Conti as a sub of Calabria (or the starter depending on what happens in Milan) ? Sagrin
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
I don't see the Lazio thing as a problem at all. He grew up in the region and grew up supporting Lazio. He loves Nesta and that's his idol. At the same time, he respects everything about Milan and is as professional as they come.

Most players that have, play, and will play for Milan are not Milan supporters. As long as they don't desrespect the club or the fans, give their all for this shirt and stay professional....it's not an issue for me. 

Some of the greatest players we've seen at Milan for the last 30 years were not Milan fans and Milan fans (incliding us) loved them.
I agree his love of Lazio is fairly meaningless to most, but no doubt some would have doubts due to that.

Geo the discussion on Conti and Calabria is becoming very interesting now. I'm actually wondering what Conti's future holds as I can't see him displacing Calabria if the latter maintains this form, especially in a back 4 and after his injury. On top of that Calabria's not only almost 3 years younger, bit also homegrown. I doubt he'll be moved to the left either as he's shown he's notably worse there. I don't want to lose Conti, but it wouldn't shock me if in the future he moves on.
Romagnoli has been absolutely amazing, kudos to Bonucci too.
Calabria also has improved so much! No surprise really, I mean I remember Messi put Calabria as one of his top 10 most talented up and coming players, that's some compliment:
http://www.givemesport.com/893204-lionel...n-football

Speaking of Conti, I'm wondering (since Calabria is doing so well) if we could try out Conti as a mezala. He has much cleaner feet than the average full back/dribbling and has shown capability in scoring, plus decent passing ability. It's just an idea but I could see it working out pretty decently. It would take some time for him to adapt, but it's not the first time a fullback would convert into a midfielder that's for sure.
I do think we need to consider how versatile Conti is. I don't think he's as comfortable in a back 4 than he was out wide in a back 5. I'm sure he can develop, but I think he can also offer a different option out wide as an alternative to Suso.
Quote:Coppa Italia, Romagnoli: a childhood fan of Lazio playing for Milan

Milan
01/03/18 06:36| News | Autore: Redazione

Perhaps he had dreamed it a thousand times, or maybe it was only his thoughts - a goal against Lazio, "what would my father say?".

The mind of Milan centre-half Alessio Romagnoli was a strange and unusual one before playing the Coppa Italia match against Lazio. A hidden love for I Biancocelesti, it was never revealed because of his past playing with Roma. But on Tuesday it broke the ice at a press conference: "I'm a Lazio fan - as a child I went to the stadium with my father ...". However, today marked that decisive goal against his childhood club, and perhaps has created a displeasure within himself in this celebratory phase for Milan...

As a child, from 5 years of age, Romagnoli looked up to Nesta and tried to emulate him. A true idol, and his only reference. Because of this, he wears the number 13 in his honor. He broke into Italian football with his childhood club rivals Roma at the age of 17, making his senior debut on December 11th, 2012 against Atalanta, under coach Zeman. He scored his first goal in 2013, and was sold to Milan for a fee of €25 million in 2015, after returning from loan from Sampdoria, where he has now completed over 80 games.

Today he sends Milan into the final of the Coppa Italia after defeating Lazio, and does not rejoice in respect. When he looked up after scoring that penalty kick, he saw the Curva Nord where he used to go as a child, and he smiled. With his teammates celebrating he also smiled, as his Milan side now have 13 games without defeats, with the defense improving game-by-game (keeping the last 6 games without a goal against). The Gattuso effect seems to finally be working, flipping a switch to get this Serie A side back on track to being one of the top teams of Europe again.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/coppa-ita...-for-milan

I really thought that his former photo in Lazio shirt was just a pure attempt to taunt Roma fans, but I guess it is all confirmed that he truly is a Lazio fan.

[Image: alessio-romagnoli--jugador-del-milan--en...witter.jpg]
(03-02-2018, 10:38 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: I do think we need to consider how versatile Conti is. I don't think he's as comfortable in a back 4 than he was out wide in a back 5. I'm sure he can develop, but I think he can also offer a different option out wide as an alternative to Suso.

Conti must not have guessed when he was injured that he would have to come back to a different defensive formation and play for a different coach.  Devilol Devilol Devilol