Silvio Berlusconi Resigns as PM of Italy
(11-13-2011, 11:45 PM)xudong Wrote: It wasn't that long. We still reached the CL final in 1995, only to lose to a lucky Kluivert goal at the 85th minute masterfully set up by Rijkaard. Savicevic missed the game due to "injury" Angry, and I still believe that it would be different if we had him. The final was very boring from both sides and we certainly lacked creativity.

There was that rumour of Savicevic was injured, but it seems more likely he fell out with Capello.

That final was the only time I cried due to football, as Rijkaard who was a Milan legend by that time was the mastermind behind the loss. That said, I think it's fair to say Ajax that year were a stronger side than us.
I think his stepping down as Prime Minister won't mean sudden spending on players that are a bit more expensive than we have looked at.The frugal transfer strategy will remain , you only have to look at players we are actually linked with , and not players we know will improve the squad and we'd like.
Maxi Lopez relatively cheap although a good player I don't see him getting much playing time at all more of a bench player or a guy to play against smaller teams and give starting 11 players a break.Also he is being brought in ( if it happens) as a replacement for Cassano while he is out.Odd move he has no characteristics that Cassano has , completely didfferent players .Like replacing a goalkeeper with a CB.
And Montolivo due to his contract running down is a posibility , and DeRossi if he doesn't sign with Roma I'd expect some sort of plan to get him..great great signing if it happened.
But I don't think sudden moves for any combination of Goetze Hazard Lucas Casemeiro Ganso etc... are even a thought for Milan management.So I don't personally see his new found freedom having any bearing on our transfer strategy.
(11-14-2011, 11:15 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote:
(11-13-2011, 11:45 PM)xudong Wrote: It wasn't that long. We still reached the CL final in 1995, only to lose to a lucky Kluivert goal at the 85th minute masterfully set up by Rijkaard. Savicevic missed the game due to "injury" Angry, and I still believe that it would be different if we had him. The final was very boring from both sides and we certainly lacked creativity.

There was that rumour of Savicevic was injured, but it seems more likely he fell out with Capello.

That final was the only time I cried due to football, as Rijkaard who was a Milan legend by that time was the mastermind behind the loss. That said, I think it's fair to say Ajax that year were a stronger side than us.

They were stronger, but they were too young (they only had two veterans: Blind and Rijkaard, with a bunch of teenagers). You can easily see that they were shell-shocked and couldn't impose any threat on us. The pressure of a huge game showed.

We were on the other hand fantastic. We didn't concede any goal in the elimination stages and defeated the hottest team in that year's CL (PSG with George Weah) in the most convincing way. I was so sure that we were going to win the final, only to find out that Savicevic was ruled out due to the mysterious injury. I hated Capello for that, also because that had we won that CL final, we would already become the most successful club in Europe (6 CL trophies would place us at No#1 tied with Real Madrid). Confused
(11-14-2011, 11:28 PM)xudong Wrote:
(11-14-2011, 11:15 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: There was that rumour of Savicevic was injured, but it seems more likely he fell out with Capello.

They were stronger, but they were too young (they only had two veterans: Blind and Rijkaard, with a bunch of teenagers). You can easily see that they were shell-shocked and couldn't impose any threat on us. The pressure of a huge game showed.

We were on the other hand fantastic. We didn't concede any goal in the elimination stages and defeated the hottest team in that year's CL (PSG with George Weah) in the most convincing way. I was so sure that we were going to win the final, only to find out that Savicevic was ruled out due to the mysterious injury. I hated Capello for that, also because that had we won that CL final, we would already become the most successful club in Europe (6 CL trophies would place us at No#1 tied with Real Madrid). Confused

That year we got owned 2-0 home and away by Ajax in the groups as well as struggling against AEK Athens. Certainly we got better as we progressed however we weren't at our best, it was our WC hangover year. We also have three unlucky years after our win vs Juventus which should have seen us collect more CL titles, and that final vs Maresille...

2004 vs Deportivo (losing 4-0 away in second leg having won 4-1 in first)
2005 vs Liverpool (You all know this injustice)
2006 vs Barcelona (Shevchenko goal disallowed in 2nd leg)

(11-15-2011, 04:31 AM)Snapster Wrote:
(11-14-2011, 11:28 PM)xudong Wrote: They were stronger, but they were too young (they only had two veterans: Blind and Rijkaard, with a bunch of teenagers). You can easily see that they were shell-shocked and couldn't impose any threat on us. The pressure of a huge game showed.

That year we got owned 2-0 home and away by Ajax in the groups as well as struggling against AEK Athens. Certainly we got better as we progressed however we weren't at our best, it was our WC hangover year. We also have three unlucky years after our win vs Juventus which should have seen us collect more CL titles, and that final vs Maresille...

yes, we were horrible in all the four group games vs. Ajax and AEK, and we even got 2 points docked off our home win against Salzburg, but we won the game that we had to win (away at Salzburg), and after the group stage, we were a totally different team and showed Europe why we were the champions. Boban and Savicevic were amazing, Simone scored at will, it was great to watch. We may not be at our best, but I certainly believe that we were going to win the epic battle between experience and youth. Damn Capello...
(11-14-2011, 11:28 PM)xudong Wrote: They were stronger, but they were too young (they only had two veterans: Blind and Rijkaard, with a bunch of teenagers). You can easily see that they were shell-shocked and couldn't impose any threat on us. The pressure of a huge game showed.

Yeah, some fair points there, but as Snapster said, Ajax had beaten us twice already that season, so the final result can't be said to be too shocking. I was confident we'd win going into that final too, but it was the manner that we lost and the fact that Rijkaard was key to their win that got to me most.

(11-15-2011, 04:31 AM)Snapster Wrote: That year we got owned 2-0 home and away by Ajax in the groups as well as struggling against AEK Athens. Certainly we got better as we progressed however we weren't at our best, it was our WC hangover year. We also have three unlucky years after our win vs Juventus which should have seen us collect more CL titles, and that final vs Maresille...

Agree those 3 results were particularly bad, although I never felt as upset as Ajax (maybe because I'd grown older and matured). That Marseille match still makes me furious though, those cheating scum deserve nothing less to be stripped of their title and there's no doubt we should be awarded it, given that we'd won every match in that competition and only conceded 1 goal before the final. There was no doubt who the better team was.

That final was also the end of Van Basten's career Sad