Sassuolo vs. Milan 9/30/18
It was a weird game last night. The final result doesn't show it, but Sassuolo was very close of at least a draw. They squandered their chances in first half, Milan had it as well, but if they scored just one of their many chances, Milan would fell apart. It was a good game we played, but we were more than lucky to win.
I think that Gattuso really need to make some changes, because every game we have the same old problems. We always start the game slowly and luckily, only Cagliari managed to benefit from that. The other issue is that our midfield have so many misplaced passes and again we were lucky that we weren't punished. Just too many risky passes to our backline and it is evident that they are not comfortable with it. He should drop the idea that everything must start from the back. It is not working and the team is not responding well to that.
Other than that, Gattuso must bench Calhanoglu, his impact so far was just disastrous. Or change his position, find him the right one, because he is a player of great quality and it is really pity that his potential is not fulfilled.

And the biggest problem of all is Biglia, his position on the field is the most important and I got the feeling that his teammates just do not help him enough, when he is in possesion it is evident that it is hard for him to find a teammate to pass the ball, it is like they are hiding or they are out of position to receive the pass. And that is why he is so error prone. Or maybe Biglia just does not have the quality to play that position. But still, I do not see any other player with similar characteristics that can cover his positon. Either way, he (or his position) is just too important and this issue must be resolved.
I dont think we were more than lucky to win that game. We had luck, I agree but we were not lucky to win that game. Luck is needed in every game. We did not have it against Cagliari and Empoli. Versus Sasuolo we have that luck, some of chances could be result into goals and the Sassuolo GK did not turn into a monster (he did actualy two superb saves IIRC, from Kessie and Biglia). We have 8 shot on target compared to 2 for Sassuolo. If Sassuolo could finish their chances, they would only get two goals. I can not see how we were more than lucky to win the game.
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
(10-01-2018, 10:48 AM)winstonwolfe Wrote: It was a weird game last night. The final result doesn't show it, but Sassuolo was very close of at least a draw. They squandered their chances in first half, Milan had it as well, but if they scored just one of their many chances, Milan would fell apart. It was a good game we played, but we were more than lucky to win.
I think that Gattuso really need to make some changes, because every game we have the same old problems. We always start the game slowly and luckily, only Cagliari managed to benefit from that. The other issue is that our midfield have so many misplaced passes and again we were lucky that we weren't punished. Just too many risky passes to our backline and it is evident that they are not comfortable with it. He should drop the idea that everything must start from the back. It is not working and the team is not responding well to that.
Other than that, Gattuso must bench Calhanoglu, his impact so far was just disastrous. Or change his position, find him the right one, because he is a player of great quality and it is really pity that his potential is not fulfilled.

And the biggest problem of all is Biglia, his position on the field is the most important and I got the feeling that his teammates just do not help him enough, when he is in possesion it is evident that it is hard for him to find a teammate to pass the ball, it is like they are hiding or they are out of position to receive the pass. And that is why he is so error prone. Or maybe Biglia just does not have the quality to play that position. But still, I do not see any other player with similar characteristics that can cover his positon. Either way, he (or his position) is just too important and this issue must be resolved.

Luck wise.. i think it was fair that we won.. luck was against us the past few games.. and its with us in this latest one.. it sort of tends to even out during a season..

Calhanoglu has been very poor but its not for lack of trying.. he just hasnt gotten a rythm goingi think.. rusty is the word maybe..
In the case of Biglia.. i do sort of agree that he isnt really offered much choice when in possesion but a player in his role usually already has a pass in mind Before getting possesion of the ball and is looking for a better alternative when with it for a few seconds.. e.g like Pirlo.. thats why its always so hard to get them into positions to make a mistake.. Pirlo and Xavi especially..

E.g when the ball is going to Biglia, before he gets it he must already have a person in mind to pass it to.. a person in a safe position to receive.. e.g Romagnoli/Musacchio.. when he gets it, he looks up for runs or movements to initiate an attack.. if none.. he goes the safe option.. makes the pass.. get into another receiving position WHILE looking around to read the game and options.. atleast thats what my club in my youth taught us when training in a central midfielder position..

Not many of our players gived Biglia options when he is in possesion.. i think Gattuso is sort of trying to emulate the Barca style of Ronaldinho-DecoXavi-Bommel/iniesta era.. movement wise that is.. in a defensive approach..