Coppa Italia, Round of 16: Milan vs. Novara (Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 21:00CET)
i thought merkel was very impressive..... i agree with flame..... not to mention he didnt even train once with the team.... really impressed with Merkel yesterday. Complete midfielder.
El Shaarawy vs Novara. he had a great game!! I hope to see him in the starting lineup again sunday

http://www.youtube.com/user/Maestr021Cha...7xl9OWetOk
You guys are ignoring the fact Merkel is an Attacking Midfielder, in the mold of Hamsik who hasn't filled out yet.

He was given a free role in Genoa, and that's where he will thrive best.
If you guys read my posts before, I am happy with Merkel and feel that he will get better from this point on. What impresses me the most is his attitude. Speaking of which, Emanuelson sucks at it. Angry I have counted at least 3 or 4 occasions in yesterday's game when Urby was a few meters away from the ball (or after he just lost a ball) and simply didn't want to run to the ball or pressure the opponents, while you could ALWAYS count on Merkel to hassle the opponent (whoever has the ball) and give him hard time. So yes, even though Urby may have a few fancy runs with ball, I would take Merkel anyday ahead of him.
aka xudong
(01-19-2012, 05:53 PM)xudong Wrote: If you guys read my posts before, I am happy with Merkel and feel that he will get better from this point on. What impresses me the most is his attitude. Speaking of which, Emanuelson sucks at it. Angry I have counted at least 3 or 4 occasions in yesterday's game when Urby was a few meters away from the ball (or after he just lost a ball) and simply didn't want to run to the ball or pressure the opponents, while you could ALWAYS count on Merkel to hassle the opponent (whoever has the ball) and give him hard time. So yes, even though Urby may have a few fancy runs with ball, I would take Merkel anyday ahead of him.

You're right. His talent may be limited, but his attitude is top class.
(01-19-2012, 05:18 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: You guys are ignoring the fact Merkel is an Attacking Midfielder, in the mold of Hamsik who hasn't filled out yet.

Disagree with you bro, Merkel has impressed in all the midfield positions bar the CM one. He wasn't outstanding in the AM position, but he was outstanding from the Genoa starting eleven. To be fair, he doesn't have those defence-splitting Totti/Rui Costa passes, but he could do better there than Prince I think, maybe.

I think Merkel's ideal position is a box to box midfielder. He helps alot on the defence too.

Xudong: I strongly disagree with you about Emanuelson's attitude too, I think he has always done his best and put in 100%, always....
(01-23-2012, 03:30 PM)Hitman Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 05:18 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: You guys are ignoring the fact Merkel is an Attacking Midfielder, in the mold of Hamsik who hasn't filled out yet.

Disagree with you bro, Merkel has impressed in all the midfield positions bar the CM one. He wasn't outstanding in the AM position, but he was outstanding from the Genoa starting eleven. To be fair, he doesn't have those defence-splitting Totti/Rui Costa passes, but he could do better there than Prince I think, maybe.

I think Merkel's ideal position is a box to box midfielder. He helps alot on the defence too.

Xudong: I strongly disagree with you about Emanuelson's attitude too, I think he has always done his best and put in 100%, always....

well, it is probably the different way how we define attitude then. if a player doesn't try to retrieve lost ball and simply chooses to stand by from just a few meters away, I don't like it, and in my book, that's bad attitude. Sleepy

Maybe that is how he was trained, but now he is in Italy, a country that takes much pride in defense. He needs to change.
aka xudong