Europa League: Red Star Belgrade vs AcMilan -Thursday 18/2/2021-
(02-18-2021, 08:49 PM)reza Wrote: What part of the rule says that is not offside just before the corner?

Poor display of course....

100%. The idea of VAR is good and I like it. The way it's implemented needs a lot of work. You can call a goal back for something wrong that happened WITHIN the same sequence of play...be it a handball or offside or foul, etc, etc....even if it happened long before.
BUT you can wrongly award a team a goalscoring opportunity (corner kick, free kick, etc)...and it's not reviewable????...and then a goal is scored from that wrong decision.

Anyway. Not too bothered by this. The only thing botherijg me is that Bennacer is injured again. We'll qualify with easy. I expected Crvena Zvezda to be better. 

In any case, we didn't play well. We are not in a good run of form, clearly.
And honestly, for an EL game this was pretty standard for us. I don't remember the Rio Ave game or most of the group matches being much better than this.
Even if it was benefitting us I would stand by this statement:

That can't not be offside before the corner. Football was the simplest game....some time ago.
(02-18-2021, 08:55 PM)Ryo Wrote: Nevermind. Focus on the Derby. No point in thinking back to this.
2 away goals will stand us in good stead.
So long as we play more starters in the second leg, we should be fine.
Also, Red Star now have 2 more players suspended for the second leg against us.

It is not the result itself that is concerning. Red Star is probably a Serie B level team and we couldn't kill them off. I was never convinced that we could score a third goal; instead, I was kind of worried about conceding a second. (Should've typed it and perhaps jinxed it. Big Grin

Our key players went completely AWOL. Hakan and Bennacer are like in shitty form, with the latter possibly injured even. Kjaer seems slightly out of form as well recently. Ibrahimovic can no longer delivers all by himself. Pioli seems to have run out of idea, and we seem to have run out of steam. I am not too looking forward to the Derby.
aka xudong
(02-18-2021, 08:56 PM)devoted_dm Wrote: I don't think it's a lack of quality, it's starting to look like we've run out of steam physically. And the way we play is completely based on speed in attack and intensity when defending, so we struggle when we can't do either.

But also can we talk about how awful Meite was throughout the game? He should have defended that corner that got them their second goal a lot better. COMPLETELY missed his man there.

At least it's not just us, Juve are looking equally out of it these days.

but what you described was exactly the problem of lack of quality. Having to play players like Meite means that your team lacks quality. 

Juve may be out of it too, but they still have great players who could change the game in a matter of seconds. We are still riding on the momentum, but it is getting visibly weaker, and this is quite worrisome.
aka xudong
(02-18-2021, 09:00 PM)ACM2021 Wrote: It is not the result itself that is concerning. Red Star is probably a Serie B level team and we couldn't kill them off. I was never convinced that we could score a third goal; instead, I was kind of worried about conceding a second. (Should've typed it and perhaps jinxed it. Big Grin

Our key players went completely AWOL. Hakan and Bennacer are like in shitty form, with the latter possibly injured even. Kjaer seems slightly out of form as well recently. Ibrahimovic can no longer delivers all by himself. Pioli seems to have run out of idea, and we seem to have run out of steam. I am not too looking forward to the Derby.

Spezia was a big blip and sowed the seeds of doubt in a lot of fans minds for sure.
That said, we don't know how good or poor in form the starting players really are in until they're playing cohesively again.
Kjaer and Bennacer only came back and so they weren't yet up to game speed, it's normal. Salesmaeker wasn't playing well since the two yellow cards sending off. 
If we play Kessie and Tonali in the middle and play the players who are actually ON FORM and integrated, I don't think we'd see as big of a shit show as what we saw against Spezia.
We got the young 'un's. We take out big gunz  Devilcool
(02-18-2021, 09:07 PM)Ryo Wrote: Spezia was a big blip and sowed the seeds of doubt in a lot of fans minds for sure.
That said, we don't know how good or poor in form the starting players really are in until they're playing cohesively again.
Kjaer and Bennacer only came back and so they weren't yet up to game speed, it's normal. Salesmaeker wasn't playing well since the two yellow cards sending off. 
If we play Kessie and Tonali in the middle and play the players who are actually ON FORM and integrated, I don't think we'd see as big of a shit show as what we saw against Spezia.

Slightly off topic, I have been wondering in the past few days, if we played Kessie and an in-form Tonali, would that game against Spezia take a different route. We were absolutely dominated, and was desperately calling for energy and dynamism, and more importantly, the never-give-up attitude. Calabria and Tonali usually bring them. Saelesmaekers too, usually.
aka xudong
(02-18-2021, 09:13 PM)ACM2021 Wrote: Slightly off topic, I have been wondering in the past few days, if we played Kessie and an in-form Tonali, would that game against Spezia take a different route. We were absolutely dominated, and was desperately calling for energy and dynamism, and more importantly, the never-give-up attitude. Calabria and Tonali usually bring them. Saelesmaekers too, usually.

Tonali is currently a better option in midfield than Bennacer. He just has more energy. I am worried that Bennacer has "long covid" or something, he looks so out of it. It probably took a bigger toll on him than expected.
And I'd like to add that Calabria is a better central midfielder than Meite.
Anyway, did anyone read Maldini's interview before the match? He said that the team did a lot of heavy physical training in the week we had available before Spezia, and it sounded like he thought that might be part of the reason for that result. We still looked sluggish today. I guess they were trying to put some fuel in the tank before the upcoming period, but maybe it would have been better to give the players the chance to recover a bit?