Liverpool- Milan
Personally Donnarumma would've gotten to a lot of the goals Maignan has conceded. He seems small in net, but he's certainly better with his feet and cleaner in general. We can talk as much as we want about DOllarumma being a mercenary the way he left, but for me he's a better keeper than Maignan all day. Not to say Mike isn't a good keeper, he is very good - but not like dollarumma, he's not a 10+1 he's a 10+2 for the amount of saves he has made that other keepers cannot.
(09-17-2021, 05:58 PM)ACMmike Wrote: Personally Donnarumma would've gotten to a lot of the goals Maignan has conceded. He seems small in net, but he's certainly better with his feet and cleaner in general. We can talk as much as we want about DOllarumma being a mercenary the way he left, but for me he's a better keeper than Maignan all day. Not to say Mike isn't a good keeper, he is very good - but not like dollarumma, he's not a 10+1 he's a 10+2 for the amount of saves he has made that other keepers cannot.

Huh Undecided
He conceded 1 goal this season man in Serie A man. Against Cagliari and he could do nothing on that header from 5 meters out. Nobody could. So, not sure what you mean by saying "a lot of the goals he conceded". Big Grin

In the CL...it's obviously just the Liverpool goals. Tell me which one Donnarumma would have saved exactly? The "own goal" deflection by Tomori? The 1v1 from Salah? The Henderson rocket from the edge if the box? 
None, is the answer from me. 

I will say, at the time I felt that maybe, JUST MAYBE, Mike could have done better on the Salah goal. But when rewatching that, it was impossible to react differently. We got beat with a give and go (for like the 10th time in that game btw) on the edge of the box and the ball to Salah was perfectly weighted. There wasn't much time for Mike to react or do anything about it because Salah couold have also hit it earlier and was just watching what the GK would do.

So no, Donnarumma wouldn't have saved ANY of the goals Mike conceded. Don't forget that Mike has made some incredible saves himself. Based on what we've seen so far...very small sample size....but we are not missing Donnarumma. We have not conceded, lost, etc, due to GK errors/weaknesses.
(09-17-2021, 05:58 PM)ACMmike Wrote: Personally Donnarumma would've gotten to a lot of the goals Maignan has conceded. He seems small in net, but he's certainly better with his feet and cleaner in general. We can talk as much as we want about DOllarumma being a mercenary the way he left, but for me he's a better keeper than Maignan all day. Not to say Mike isn't a good keeper, he is very good - but not like dollarumma, he's not a 10+1 he's a 10+2 for the amount of saves he has made that other keepers cannot.

Mike welcome to the MM forum. Donna is hype , he isnt a star and at best he is equal to the quality of our new gk MM . 

Also if you want to join the Rebic fan club let me know asap because it is near capacity of 5 members
ACM1899 Wrote:Mike welcome to the MM forum. Donna is hype , he isnt a star and at best he is equal to the quality of our new gk MM . 

Also if you want to join the Rebic fan club let me know asap because it is near capacity of 5 members

Not a star... Voted Player of the Tournament at UEFA Euro 2020 as the first goalkeeper ever. Still only 22 years old and has played over 200 Serie A matches and 36 internationals for Itlay.

I am also happy with Maignan, but discrediting Donnarumma for what he has done on the playing field is just wrong in my opinion. My only problem with Donnarumma is how he acted off it.

Anyway Donnarumma is a closed chapter for Milan, so I won't waste more time or thoughts on him.
(09-17-2021, 06:28 PM)nefremo Wrote: Huh Undecided
He conceded 1 goal this season man in Serie A man. Against Cagliari and he could do nothing on that header from 5 meters out. Nobody could. So, not sure what you mean by saying "a lot of the goals he conceded". Big Grin

In the CL...it's obviously just the Liverpool goals. Tell me which one Donnarumma would have saved exactly? The "own goal" deflection by Tomori? The 1v1 from Salah? The Henderson rocket from the edge if the box? 
None, is the answer from me. 

I will say, at the time I felt that maybe, JUST MAYBE, Mike could have done better on the Salah goal. But when rewatching that, it was impossible to react differently. We got beat with a give and go (for like the 10th time in that game btw) on the edge of the box and the ball to Salah was perfectly weighted. There wasn't much time for Mike to react or do anything about it because Salah couold have also hit it earlier and was just watching what the GK would do.

So no, Donnarumma wouldn't have saved ANY of the goals Mike conceded. Don't forget that Mike has made some incredible saves himself. Based on what we've seen so far...very small sample size....but we are not missing Donnarumma. We have not conceded, lost, etc, due to GK errors/weaknesses.

I knew I'd get these type of responses lol. It's good to defend our own players, but we need to be real too. Donnarumma is a special talent, plain and simple. 

Maignan can be a good keeper certainly, even great but for me personally he needs to show a lot more to be as good as Donnarumma. He stopped shots that were put into the range of Hendersons shot all Euro cup. Then again, arguing whether or not Donna would've saved the goals Maignan has conceded to date is really a silly measure of who is better as a whole so I shouldn't have even brought it up.

My initial perspective is that Donnarumma filled up the goal much better you'd look at him in net and almost think holy crap how do we get by this guy lol, Maignan is small compared to him and yet I also think Dollarumma had better reflexes even with the sizing. Maignan seems to have better footwork and distribution however. It gives and it takes I suppose.

My personal opinion is that Donnarumma is a far better keeper, better human being is a different story and that goes to Maignan for now lol

I say we close the book on talking about Donnarumma because it's the past and tbh everything from hereon will just be opinion based, but discrediting the kid (who by the way is 4 years younger than Maignan) is not fair game at all. Donnarumma that asshole > Maignan all day every day is my opinion and I'm sure 99% of the world would agree. Not saying I'm not happy with Maignan though, he's still a very good GK Big Grin
(09-17-2021, 06:48 PM)Arildonardo Wrote: Not a star... Voted Player of the Tournament at UEFA Euro 2020 as the first goalkeeper ever. Still only 22 years old and has played over 200 Serie A matches and 36 internationals for Itlay.

I am also happy with Maignan, but discrediting Donnarumma for what he has done on the playing field is just wrong in my opinion. My only problem with Donnarumma is how he acted off it.

Anyway Donnarumma is a closed chapter for Milan, so I won't waste more time or thoughts on him.

Donnarumma won player of the tournament because there wasn't any outstanding outfield players in Italy squad.

In 2006 world Cup, buffon is definitely better than Donnarumma in euro 2020 but in that tournament, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cannavaro was simply too outstanding so buffon can only be the 4th best player in that team.

I always like to think of Donnarumma as Abbiati, both have amazing reflexes and make incredible saves. But both suffer from the same problems, prone to making some silly errors and fumble with crosses. MM is like Dida, much more stable but might not match up to the shot stopping. I always like Abbiati over Dida for his shot stopping but I also have to admit that Dida is the guy we won everything with. We just have to agree to disagree, definitely not trying to discredit Donnarumma playing abilities here. 

Go back to last season, Lille, Inter, Lazio beat us 3-0. You think all 9 goals cannot be saved? You can always pick some goals that can be saved but no goalkeeper even the very best can save all of them, it's all just a probability, better goalkeeper have higher probability to save those difficult shots.
(09-18-2021, 12:40 AM)hwmook Wrote: Donnarumma won player of the tournament because there wasn't any outstanding outfield players in Italy squad.

In 2006 world Cup, buffon is definitely better than Donnarumma in euro 2020 but in that tournament, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cannavaro was simply too outstanding so buffon can only be the 4th best player in that team.

I always like to think of Donnarumma as Abbiati, both have amazing reflexes and make incredible saves. But both suffer from the same problems, prone to making some silly errors and fumble with crosses. MM is like Dida, much more stable but might not match up to the shot stopping. I always like Abbiati over Dida for his shot stopping but I also have to admit that Dida is the guy we won everything with. We just have to agree to disagree, definitely not trying to discredit Donnarumma playing abilities here. 

Go back to last season, Lille, Inter, Lazio beat us 3-0. You think all 9 goals cannot be saved? You can always pick some goals that can be saved but no goalkeeper even the very best can save all of them, it's all just a probability, better goalkeeper have higher probability to save those difficult shots.

Jorginho and Verratti literally single handedly dominated each and every team. Jorginho won best player in Europe. Chiesa cut through entire squads by himself, Insigne scored arguably the best goal of the tournament, the defence was literally impenetrable. 

Italy squad just beaten the ALL TIME record for undefeated run. I would definitely not say that he won best player of the tournament in a squad with no stand out players.

I think the issue with currently Italy squad is the fact that Serie A is not a high paying league so our three best players (dollarumma, veratti & Jorginho) are out of town. The rest are mixed, some loyal to their mediocre clubs like Insigne at Napoli etc., 
My point is their very spread unlike Spain in their glory days where 90% of their players were Madrid/Barca. This Italian NT is not to be confused though, as individuals they are very strong. The ones that left like Verratti and Jorginho are key players to both the team that won the CL & PSG whom is stacked with star players to contend with. 

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I wish Milan had more Italian national players but unfortunately the best ones are being paid a fortune overseas or are simply not obtainable (Chiesa/Barella) 

Comparing Donnarumma to Abbiati, the only similarities I see are their height and nationality. 

In any case I do agree that the kid deserves merit for his talent and we all agree to disagree.  1ban Icon_lol2
Maignan hasn’t conceded in Serie a because we are’s suffocating opponents giving them half chances.

I definitely think Donna could have done better in the Pool (2nd and 3rd goal) game but we will never know. Donna has the tools to become a really spectacular old style goal keep. But the modern game means all players need to play with the ball at feet. He has yet to grow there.

Maignan is the modern keeper. He can pass us out of trouble, something Donna was terrible at. He is also way more confident and it shows. The defense looks encouraged.
I personally am not saying Donnarumma is not good, or not class, etc. I'm not saying MM is a better GK either. It's no secret that Donnarumma has also been super hyped so far in his career. He also makes mistakes, but he also makes great saves. My point though, was that so far, we have not missed him because MM has been exceptional. To say that Donnarumma would have made saves on "many" on the goals we conceded is silly (by your own comment).

Let's agree that Donnarumma is an exceptional talent. But let's also agree that (so far) we have not missed him AT ALL.
(09-18-2021, 03:06 PM)nefremo Wrote: I personally am not saying Donnarumma is not good, or not class, etc. I'm not saying MM is a better GK either. It's no secret that Donnarumma has also been super hyped so far in his career. He also makes mistakes, but he also makes great saves. My point though, was that so far, we have not missed him because MM has been exceptional. To say that Donnarumma would have made saves on "many" on the goals we conceded is silly (by your own comment).

Let's agree that Donnarumma is an exceptional talent. But let's also agree that (so far) we have not missed him AT ALL.

This I can agree on, as I said judging their quality based on whether or not they would've saved a few specific goals is too broad. I don't think we'll miss Donnarumma, as Maignan is a very good keeper. If we could've kept Donnarumma it would've been better but again we are MORE than fine with Maignan. 

Plus, with our pressing we did against Lazio he won't be a very busy keeper (unless we face Liverpool again lol).  Okmilan