Liverpool- Milan
I'm disappointed to of not won of course but there was a lot to like. Liverpool at home are always difficult especially since Klopp took over, they're built for now and we're aiming for tomorrow.
Coming back to take the lead after a difficult 40 minutes was a good sign.
We're a bit unlucky with the first goal and even the winner- how many times would someone take a shot like that and it sails over the crossbar ?

My concern is actually Bennacer. Since coming back from his injuries last year he hasn't really looked that good. Funny, because most of us recently have talked about and generally agreed that he is our best midfielder. Right now Bennacer is behind Tonali believe it or not. I'm sure he'll find form soon but he has been way out of sorts.
There are other area's of concern but Benn is right up there

Disappointed for the loss, but there's a lot to work with and look forward to I think.
(09-15-2021, 11:40 PM)Demonbanana Wrote: I'm disappointed to of not won of course but there was a lot to like. Liverpool at home are always difficult especially since Klopp took over, they're built for now and we're aiming for tomorrow. 
Coming back to take the lead after a difficult 40 minutes was a good sign.
We're a bit unlucky with the first  goal and even the winner- how many times would someone take a shot like that and it sails over the crossbar ?

My concern is actually Bennacer. Since coming back from his injuries last year he hasn't really looked that good. Funny,  because most of us recently have talked about and generally agreed that he is our best midfielder. Right now Bennacer is behind Tonali believe it or not. I'm sure he'll find form soon but he has been way out of sorts.
There are other area's of concern but Benn is right up there

Disappointed for the loss,  but there's a lot to work with and look forward to I think.

To be fair, Bennacer played better than Kessie tonight.
Kessie lost way too many balls with his wayward passing.
If we had swapped Tonali on for Kessie, I feel like we may not have lost out.
But alas, a yellow card is risky.
We got the young 'un's. We take out big gunz  Devilcool
(09-15-2021, 11:40 PM)Demonbanana Wrote:  Liverpool at home are always difficult especially since Klopp took over, they're built for now and we're aiming for tomorrow. 

This. Really good perspective I hope fans can keep a hold of.
https://sempremilan.com/player-ratings-l...-elsewhere

This ratings is very accurate indeed, Kessie's mind seem elsewhere. He wasn't in the game at all.
(09-16-2021, 12:48 AM)hwmook Wrote: https://sempremilan.com/player-ratings-l...-elsewhere

This ratings is very accurate indeed, Kessie's mind seem elsewhere. He wasn't in the game at all.

Let me rate Maldini as well: Family Quota
(09-16-2021, 02:22 AM)Codazzi Wrote: Let me rate Maldini as well: Family Quota

He is not going to get better being here. Better send him out like Colombo which is starting to prove himself in Serie B.
Kessie was a cancer for our team tonight. He was lazy, slow to every ball and really careless in possession. Dumb idiot I hope we get rid of him ASAP. Performances like that and missing the penalty last game is totally pathetic when asking for the money he wants. I hope he's gone ASAP, truthfully lost 90% of my respect for this idiot. Headless chicken no technique just running
Ok just watched the game:

-We played nervous and poorly as a team. Just so many missed passes. Unbelievable. Can’t imagine we would play this poorly again.
-Theo got destroyed. He needs to improve defensively or move forward (to PSG). It forces Kessie to shift there and that was a big reason for the first goal (and Leao not following his runner).
-Not having a target man really hurt us as Ibras and Girouds ability to win headers to relieve pressure really hurt. Rebic doesn’t even try a lot of times.
-Clear Liverpool handball in the 75’
-Double pivot failed. Kessie and Bennacer are supposed to break up the game, soak up pressure and release the ball.
In the half-full glass, the Liverpool test has proved:
- Maignan, Tomori, and Tonali are our core for many years. Diaz with his gradual improvement can also take part in.
- Kjaer is as reliable as always. Rebic is a nice surprise, maybe his international experience has helped.
- Saelemaekers is useful despite limited talent, Leao is useful with limited talent used. Yet both can improve more, especially Leao.

Though:
- Calabria & Theo are not mentally ready.
- Kessie now knows being Kante is not easy.
- I don't know what's inside Bennacer's head, but he has things to do and a starting position to fight for.
This team has never experienced tempo and intensity like this. THIS is how they have to play if they wanna be in the elite. I think they are capable of playing at this intensity and tempo. I really do. But they were shell-shocked. They had zero time on the ball and failed to adjust. They thought that this will be SMS and Luis Alberto jogging after them to press them. Instead they got a player in red coming in 100mph right at their heals.
But even so....they still kept trying to play short passes. Not once did we look to run in behind in the first 30 minutes. Not one long ball towards the corner. Bennacer and Kessie kept playing the ball backwards and shit their pants. Even Tomori at one point yelled at them to play the ball forward and quicker.

The truth is, Liverpool's passing and movement is something our boys have never experienced. And in a CL game, against Milan, at Anfield, that was only multiplied by 2 from them. They play this same style in the PL, but not like this. The first 30 minutes were intensity on steroids. And just like how the occasion was unfortunately too much for us mentally, it actually lifted them up even higher and they fed off it to play with even more speed and intensity.

I hope the team learns from this. I think they are capable. Maybe we can return the favor at San Siro and start the game like hungry animals. Go at them 100mph the same way they did to us. We will have 4 CL games before that to get accustomed to this intensity.

The good thing is, we definitely have it in us to beat both Porto and Atletico. So let's hope that we do.

As for the individuals, I'm not going to get too mad at any one player. Honestly, they were all shocked and didn't know which way is up in the first half. The occasion was just too much. It's not even about quality. It was all mental. They couldn't calm down and think straight. They felt rushed, they made uncharacteristic mistakes.

I will say that Kessie was piss poor though and as it's been said.....he doesn't deserve that 8M he wants. That's for elite elite players. And we can see today that he isn't.

I can't wait to play against Juventus over the weekend. Honestly, my biggest hope is that we learned something from Liverpool. I hope the boys understand now what world class football is like. And I really really hope they try to replicate that in Italy. Because like I mentioned....they are capable. We are young, have very good technical ability, we are fit, we have speed, etc. We have all that it takes. We just need the mentality. And maybe, just maybe, we learned what that's about tonight.

My last point is on the proposed changes at half time. I agree with everyone that said we needed to do something to protect the lead. I think we needed different angles in the midfield and more compactness. I agree Tonali should have been introduced right at half time for Diaz/Leao in order to form a 3 man midfield. It's almost as if the 2 goals we scored convinced Pioli to stick with the initial lineup. But in truth, nothing worked. We worked well for those goals but we also got lucky. He should have recognized that for 43 minutes we did nothing and Liverpool was just too confident. Changing up the midfield will have given us a different look and also a bit of a surprise to them. But it wasn't meant to be.

Oh well.....we have to win the next one vs Atletico at San Siro. No other way about it.