Liverpool- Milan
(09-14-2021, 05:16 PM)nefremo Wrote: If we start the game with the same intensity as vs Lazio, it's Liverpool that'll need to survive because we can take the crowd right out of it with a goal. 

Easier said then done, I know. But I hope we don't try to "mange" the game initially and sit back just to "feel out" Liverpool.

Yes, that's what I fear now. The coach may opt for a more conservative approach, but with all considered (Ibrahimovic absence, Italian mentality, etc.), this may not be a surprising move. Our young players may get stunned by the pressure, if not handled well. 

Well, I am not the one that is getting paid big bucks to worry about this. I will just try to enjoy the game however it goes.  Icon_lol2
aka xudong
(09-14-2021, 05:27 PM)ACM2021 Wrote:  I will just try to enjoy the game however it goes.  Icon_lol2

That's my approach as well. Waiting for this way too long and now when it finally happened won't bother myself and won't be bitching about players whatever happen.  Sagrin I'd like for us to win all games ,but I don't expect us to survive through group. Not even to advance to Europa League. Don't expect embarrassing results either ,just bunch of defeats with margin of 1-2 goals ,mostly due to inexperience with being on biggest stage.
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
I think our team will play safe and slow. Mr Pioli doesnt have to meatballs to do what he did with Lazio imo. I hope he shuts my mouth and actually lets liverpool worry about our team instead of us
Old man Ibra is spending more time on the treatment table than the pitch. This has to be his last season.
(09-14-2021, 05:55 PM)ACM1899 Wrote: I think our team will play safe and slow. Mr Pioli doesnt have to meatballs to do what he did with Lazio imo. I hope he shuts my mouth and actually lets liverpool worry about our team instead of us

Really really hope not. We should respect Liverpool's strengths, such as their speed up top as well as the creativity they have coming from their wingbacks. But the game vs Lazio was won in the middle where we pressed the crap out of their CMs...who really, aren't much worse then Liverpool's. If Kessie can press SMS all over the field and give him zero time on the ball, then why not Thiago. Anfield or or not. 

Now, having said that...Liverpool has other strengths as I mentioned that Lazio can only dream of having. So Lazio was "easy"...you press SMS and Alberto and force them to go outside where they are not very good or long where they don't have speed or numbers. 

So I get that can't win the game vs Liverpool just by pressing the middle as we'll also have to be mindfull of their CBs ability to find the speed up top...or their fullbacks's ability to bring it up or receive it under pressure and still do something with it....BUT that doesn't mean that we jist fall back, don't press and hold on for dear life.
(09-14-2021, 06:21 PM)nefremo Wrote: Really really hope not. We should respect Liverpool's strengths, such as their speed up top as well as the creativity they have coming from their wingbacks. But the game vs Lazio was won in the middle where we pressed the crap out of their CMs...who really, aren't much worse then Liverpool's. If Kessie can press SMS all over the field and give him zero time on the ball, then why not Thiago. Anfield or or not. 

Now, having said that...Liverpool has other strengths as I mentioned that Lazio can only dream of having. So Lazio was "easy"...you press SMS and Alberto and force them to go outside where they are not very good or long where they don't have speed or numbers. 

So I get that can't win the game vs Liverpool just by pressing the middle as we'll also have to be mindfull of their CBs ability to find the speed up top...or their fullbacks's ability to bring it up or receive it under pressure and still do something with it....BUT that doesn't mean that we jist fall back, don't press and hold on for dear life.

You said it there. That probably is their biggest strength, and IMO no team in Europe can handle that when their two FBs are in form. 

I agree that we shouldn't sit back and pray, but I can't really think of a good solution to counter that either. I am not the tactician.  Icon_lol2
aka xudong
I think aggression is our style of play. We sat back last year because of lack of options from injury. I imagine we utilize an aggressive press for much of the game. You can’t play 90min like that. But that seems to be our identity. Sucks Ibra is injured. Hopefully Giroud is ready.
I know the temptation for fans to "go out and attack" Liverpool is great. This is based on our recent form/performances, and it’s cool. But I personally think going gung-ho at Liverpool in Anfield is not wise. No matter how unpalatable it sounds, "managing" this game is what needs to be done. Knowing when to attack, when to press, when to defend.

What I want is for us to give good account of ourselves and if we are to exit the competition, we do so with dignity, not humiliated. And I believe we are good enough for that.

I'm under no illusion in this group. Would be a miracle to get 3rd, let alone progressing.

But then again, miracles are known to happen
Too pessimistic guys, Man U just lost to Young boys. We can beat Liverpool.
(09-14-2021, 07:58 PM)hwmook Wrote: Too pessimistic guys, Man U just lost to Young boys. We can beat Liverpool.

That's cause they have the EPL version of Giampaolo managing United. 

Liverpool is a different story.