Poll: Which 2 teams will advance?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Croatia
17.65%
6 17.65%
Ireland
2.94%
1 2.94%
Italy
38.24%
13 38.24%
Spain
41.18%
14 41.18%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Group C - Euro 2012
Wonder will Spain let Croatia score now.
Busquets brought down Corluka for a penalty not called..

Then Iniesta handles the ball with his arm before passing to Navas for the goal.. what a scam.. typical UEFALONA
(06-18-2012, 09:44 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: Busquets brought down Corluka for a penalty not called..

Then Iniesta handles the ball with his arm before passing to Navas for the goal.. what a scam.. typical UEFALONA
That was 10 times more penalty the Nesta`s

My god the azzuries are weak physically. And, as soon as Cassano leaves the pitch Iltay get shapeless & clueless
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.
(06-18-2012, 09:44 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: Busquets brought down Corluka for a penalty not called..

hahahah thats how they win

yesterday denmark was denied a penalty at 1-1 (im told so!; + had shitload of luck vs portugal) and now spain, but how can uefa let germany holland and spain go out at group stages rofl

hopefully greece and ukraine(i hope that make it) will do their job in 1/4 finals
Italy and Spain are through after two intense matches where either one could have easily been knocked out. I must say, neither side has particularly impressed and Italy in particular need to start this tournament from fresh now, as what they've shown up to now isn't even close to good enough.

The Spain Croatia match was a tight affair, but followed the usual pattern of Spain dominating the ball with tiki taka, but ultimately looking toothless. They deserved to get through eventually (despite the controversies), but haven't played to the level expected of them. I'm glad I'm not the only who also finds them boring to watch after reading an article on goal.com about it.

Italy reverted back to 4-3-1-2 and on the whole I think they need to stick to it. 3-5-2 appeared nice at first, but there's too many flaws in it. Whilst they're still flawed with 4-3-1-2, it doesn't leave them as vulnerable as 3-5-2, especially when many teams in the tournament will use wingers who look to get behind the wingbacks. That said, they played a very standard 4-3-1-2, meaning the midfield was narrow and the attacking moves had no real width to stretch Ireland, who for their part played a lot better. It was sad watching the Italian midfield, as Pirlo was generally underwhelming, Marchisio running a lot but little else, while De Rossi and Motta never really seemed to have any structure between them. Which leads me to the next point, I'd drop Motta now, he's been poor all tournament and isn't helping anyone. If continuing with 4-3-1-2, then play Pirlo, Marchisio and De Rossi in midfield, with Montolivo just in front. Or I'd also consider 4-3-3, with an attack of Balotelli/Di Natale, Cassano and Giovinco or Cassano, Di Natale and Balotelli. Finally, Italy can't keep playing with the desperation they did vs Ireland and relying on this energy, otherwise they'll go out in the next round.
(06-19-2012, 09:41 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Italy and Spain are through after two intense matches where either one could have easily been knocked out. I must say, neither side has particularly impressed and Italy in particular need to start this tournament from fresh now, as what they've shown up to now isn't even close to good enough.

The Spain Croatia match was a tight affair, but followed the usual pattern of Spain dominating the ball with tiki taka, but ultimately looking toothless. They deserved to get through eventually (despite the controversies), but haven't played to the level expected of them. I'm glad I'm not the only who also finds them boring to watch after reading an article on goal.com about it.

Well, Italy played quite well in their first two games, but not for 90 minutes ... It seems the 3-5-2 formation is better for them, but they need to use real FBs (Maggio is, but he seems out of form) in this formation to be used perfectly ... I think the 3-5-2 of the start with Abate and Balzaretti could be a very dangerous formation. In their "bad moments" (it happened in their 3 games, being totally dominated for 10-15 minutes, I don'tk now why it wouldn't happen again in the next games), this 3-5-2 could turn into a 5-3-2, and if De Rossi is put in the midfield, he could also help a lot the defence, changing the formation into a kind of 6-2-2, which could be the way to resist.

Yesterday, they played more like in their friendly game against Russia ... Anyway, I wonder what will do Prandelli in the next game, like it seems Chiellini is out for the competition (from what the commentators said yesterday). Will he keep his 4-3-1-2 now or will he chose to make another 3-5-2 with Barzagli simply replacing Chiellini ?

About Spain being boring, I agree with you too since the first day they started to play this way ... Spain / Barcelona are really boring as their game could be resumed like following : 10 passes between the defenders (generally no pressing there), 20 passes between the defenders and the midfielders (the pressing generally starts in midfield, it's probably why they give the pass back to their defenders), 25 passes between the midfielders (once the opponents stop their pressing), 30 passes between the midfielders and the strikers (when they have some), and then, they try to make a final pass to score.

Seriously, what I just wrote is a joke but is not that far from reality ... The way they play is not "total football", because for most of their game, they don't attack, they prepare their attack, and many minutes are spent far from the goal. The worst is this impression of no physical intensity ...
Even Ireland with the old English style (that even England doesn't use anymore, or almost), the boring "kick and run", is funnier to watch than Spain nowadays. At least, they try to play near the goal of the opponent, and they put physical pressure on their opponents with all these long balls.
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !

England or Italy will knock them out just like Chelsea (an English team with an Italian coach) did to Barcelona, and then the winner will be champions by beating Germany in final, just like Chelsea defeated Bayern. Okmilan
MILAN! MILAN! SOLO CON TE!
MILAN! MILAN! SEMPRE PER TE!
(06-19-2012, 10:11 AM)GeoTav Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 09:41 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Italy and Spain are through after two intense matches where either one could have easily been knocked out. I must say, neither side has particularly impressed and Italy in particular need to start this tournament from fresh now, as what they've shown up to now isn't even close to good enough.

Well, Italy played quite well in their first two games, but not for 90 minutes ... It seems the 3-5-2 formation is better for them, but they need to use real FBs (Maggio is, but he seems out of form) in this formation to be used perfectly ... I think the 3-5-2 of the start with Abate and Balzaretti could be a very dangerous formation. In their "bad moments" (it happened in their 3 games, being totally dominated for 10-15 minutes, I don'tk now why it wouldn't happen again in the next games), this 3-5-2 could turn into a 5-3-2, and if De Rossi is put in the midfield, he could also help a lot the defence, changing the formation into a kind of 6-2-2, which could be the way to resist.

Yesterday, they played more like in their friendly game against Russia ... Anyway, I wonder what will do Prandelli in the next game, like it seems Chiellini is out for the competition (from what the commentators said yesterday). Will he keep his 4-3-1-2 now or will he chose to make another 3-5-2 with Barzagli simply replacing Chiellini ?

About Spain being boring, I agree with you too since the first day they started to play this way ... Spain / Barcelona are really boring as their game could be resumed like following : 10 passes between the defenders (generally no pressing there), 20 passes between the defenders and the midfielders (the pressing generally starts in midfield, it's probably why they give the pass back to their defenders), 25 passes between the midfielders (once the opponents stop their pressing), 30 passes between the midfielders and the strikers (when they have some), and then, they try to make a final pass to score.

Seriously, what I just wrote is a joke but is not that far from reality ... The way they play is not "total football", because for most of their game, they don't attack, they prepare their attack, and many minutes are spent far from the goal. The worst is this impression of no physical intensity ...
Even Ireland with the old English style (that even England doesn't use anymore, or almost), the boring "kick and run", is funnier to watch than Spain nowadays. At least, they try to play near the goal of the opponent, and they put physical pressure on their opponents with all these long balls.

I appreciated Spain's technical qualities and pressing game (this I still do appreciate) when I first started seeing this style, but over time the whole game becomes dull and predictable. On goal.com they had a poll about Spain's game and from 3 options, more than half of the voters said they have become predictable and dull to watch.

Back to Italy, yesterday with 4-3-1-2 was poor, but this was the failings of not utilising the players well enough. 3-5-2 could work if the players have had enough practice with it, but the reality is they only started trying it when the tournament came, it's too late to start working on a new system. Maggio's been poor and Giaccharini isn't good enough (actually Balzaretti should play anyway). De Rossi as sweeper is ok, but when the side is stretched even slightly his lack of experience at the back shows. Also, many have said Juve used 3-5-2 this season with many Italy players playing for Juve. These people need to acknowledge that Juve were more successful this season with 4-3-3, and most Juve fans will attest to that.

This is why I think 4-3-1-2 is the way Italy need to continue. They can't constantly rely on fullbacks to give width, but then they have to use Cassano and Di Natale better. These guys at club level often naturally push wide to stretch opponents, yet yesterday neither did, they almost always stayed in the middle. Italy also need more dynamic midfield runners, with having just Marchisio as a shuttler isn't enough. In this respect, using Montolivo and Nocerino more would actually help them. Motta, as I've said in other threads, doesn't impress me at all for Italy and imo, one of Nocerino or Montolivo would work better.

Personally, I'd go against what I said earlier and also use Pirlo as a trequartista. He may not like it, but he's one player who has the ability to play the role horizontally and linking with Cassano and having runners from midfield overlapping, he could be better serving them higher up the pitch. There's a trend in this tournament that teams who don't hold possession often defend in high numbers extremely deep. With this system, Italy normally dominate possession and therefore Pirlo, who would play as trequartista, would have time on the ball in front of the opposing midfield and defensive lines. As for DM, De Rossi surely has the characteristics to play the role well, and he'd be more stable than Pirlo. Having more ball players and a 3 man central midfield benefits the possession play, so Italy should be able to conserve energy better. Therefore, I say they should go with:

----------------Buffon------------------
Abate----Barzagli-Chiellini---Balzaretti
--------------De Rossi-----------------
---Marchisio----------Montolivo/Nocerino
----------------Pirlo--------------------
---------Di Natale------Cassano------
I agree...4-3-1-2 is the way to go Dev. I discuss it here in this article

http://www.notevenanoriundo.com/2012/06/...ggles.html

I am so pumped Italy have made it out!
(06-19-2012, 12:50 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: As for DM, De Rossi surely has the characteristics to play the role well, and he'd be more stable than Pirlo. Having more ball players and a 3 man central midfield benefits the possession play, so Italy should be able to conserve energy better. Therefore, I say they should go with:

----------------Buffon------------------
Abate----Barzagli-Chiellini---Balzaretti
--------------De Rossi-----------------
---Marchisio----------Montolivo/Nocerino
----------------Pirlo--------------------
---------Di Natale------Cassano------

AAaaahhhh... I agree. When Pirlo's off, he loses the ball far to easily in very dangerous positions, and you'd be surprised how many times over the years (for Milan & Italy) it results in goals for the opponents...

I say let De Rossi play in front of the defenders, and let Pirlo play in an advanced position.. because according to him " He'll play wherever the coach asks " Devilol

I thought Di Natale and Cassano actually worked well, but I won't be upset to see Balotelli start either. T. Motta needs a rest, and Montolivo or Nocerino should play.

The tactics would also depend on who we play, England or France most likely.... We always play France, so I'm hoping for England!