Allegri's system
There's a lot of melancholy on the boards of late given that many of our older stars are now leaving the club.

However, with the loss of our greats come exciting times as we rebuild and look to challenge both domestically and internationally next season. To do this, we will get new players and that is why I've created this thread in the transfers section rather than discussion.

Basically, one of Allegri's greatest criticisms is the lack of variation in formation and with massive changes in the squad, now more than ever before are we likely to see him make changes to his system. So, with this in mind, if he ever reads the board I think we should give him a helping hand by naming our lineups and systems for the coming season.

Obviously we will buy some players this summer, some of which have been confirmed. Going by the rumours in the press, we will apparently make one big signing as a sign of intent and motivation for the current group. Other signings will be deals we can find or based on sale of other players. Therefore, please be realistic with your ideas. For example, a big name like Ganso, Hernanes, Tevez or Balotelli might be realistic, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo clearly aren't.

I look forward to seeing what you might want to see.

----

For me, it's vital to see us getting the most out of what we have at the moment as well as dealing with the narrowness of the 4-3-1-2. I think realistically we will focus on our midfield, adding dynamic players, but I think given our weaknesses this year, we'll look for technical improvements. Therefore I think our big purchase might be for midfield. With this in mind, I can see us going for two targets. A technical midfielder who has the ability to create and a strong solid option to replace Van Bommel. For the role of the latter, I think Strootman of PSV is a target we can look to get, as Van Bommel's gone there and spoken highly of Milan and Strootman. Man Utd are our biggest rivals for his signature, but I think if clever we can get him for a reasonable price.

For the creative role, we recently got Montolivo who is technically very gifted and a good reader of the game, but not a marquee signing. In this regard, with the impending rumours of Robinho to Santos, I think we'll look to finally secure Ganso as our big purchase. His market value has dropped significantly due to his last injury, yet his performances have steadily improved on his return. He's intelligent and appears to know areas he needs to work on.

In goal, I think Abbiati will be kept as first choice and I doubt we'll make any major purchases (maybe bench players). In defence though, with Nesta leaving I think we'll look to fill the gap left, and I don't think Bonera, Mexes or Yepes have the faith to do this. Acerbi seems secured and it could be a prudent choice given the stats (see my post in the defender poll thread). Ogbonna's another I'm keen on, but I think given his contract situation and our numbers in central defence (Mexes, Thiago, Bonera, Yepes and probably Acerbi) we may decide to wait for the moment. Fullbacks I don't think we'll see major purchases, the options are pretty limited and I wouldn't be surprised if we start the season in testing Urby at LB more.

Our attack is pretty full already. I'm sure the club see Ibra, Robinho, El Shaarawy, Cassano and Pato, who I suspect the club will gamble on, as plenty up front. We might see purchases for the squad up front, such as a guy like Maxi who can act as vice Ibra (as can Pato mind), but this may not be the case. I think one forward out of Robinho, Cassano, Pato and El Shaarawy might leave as we just have too many for one role, with Robinho my favourite as mentioned above.

If in Allegri's shoes, I'd change system to focus heavily on maximising the runs from midfield with only Ibra as our reference point up front. I'd change to a staggered 4-4-1-1 with Boateng supporting Ibra, and then a creative heavy midfield that has runners in Nocerino and Strootman, leaving our starting/defensive system looking like:

-------------------Abbiati---------------------
Abate-------Acerbi---Thiago-----------Urby
------------Strootman------------------------
--Nocerino----------------Montolivo---------
------------------------------------Ganso-----
-------------------Boateng--------------------
----------------------Ibra----------------------

Might look a little lightweight on paper in midfield, as none are natural destroyers. However, statistics are rather interesting, as Montolivo actually on average makes more tackles per game than Van Bommel and in Serie A alone makes more interceptions (it's about even when factoring Van Bommel's performances in CL). Given Nocerino's strength in running forward and Boateng's natural movement to push into wide areas as we attack, the system would naturally change shape closer to 4-2-1-3 as we attack, as I'd want Nocerino pushing right up into the box (he has the energy to do this as we saw to great effect this season), Boateng to pull out left and Ganso taking up the trequartista role left by Boateng (it's a movement I've noticed Ganso do a lot at Santos), making our shape closer to this as we attack:

-----------------Abbiati--------------------
Abate-----Acerbi----Thiago--------Urby
-------------Strootman-------------------
--------------------------Montolivo--------
-------------------Ganso-------------------
--Nocerino--------Ibra---------Boateng--

Of course, one thing I haven't accounted for in this description is we have two attacking fullbacks, who I'd naturally expect to be overlapping on the wings in timed movements (something we can't do in 4-3-1-2 as we need fullbacks to always push to add width), hence I try not to push Strootman too high as he's protecting the defence, nor Montolivo (who is more of a water carrier in the system). That isn't to say Montolivo can't push up when we press high, as we'll press with 5 men across the defence and defensive midfield of opponents, making it difficult for opponents to get out from their defensive area (something Juve were good at this year). Our system would become 4-1-2-3 and with Strootman and defenders who can read the game well, we should still be covered for quick counters:

----------------Abbiati--------------------
Abate-----Acerbi----Thiago-------Urby
---------------Strootman----------------
--------Ganso----------Montolivo-------
--Nocerino------Ibra--------Boateng---

In this system, we'd make use of Boateng and Nocerino's (and sometimes even Montolivo) ability to break quickly and ability to push right up in support of Ibra who would remain our attacking reference point. With these guys in particular looking to break from deep, it also means Ibra can look to play them through if he drops back at all.

With Cassano's ability to start central and push left, or El Shaarawy's natural movement to the left, both can play in Boateng's role (neither offers the pressing Boateng does though). Pato can play in Ibra's role, though can start deeper in Boateng's role if needed. Muntari would be able to play the role Ganso and Montolivo does in this system, and to a lesser extent Strootman's, which Ambro would be able to do adequately. If we keep Flamini, he'd be an alternative to Nocerino, but if not then hopefully Traore can do this role. Basically, the point is we have players in the squad for this system, although naturally we'd need to adjust depending on the players available.

I personally like playing with 2 banks of 4 (even if staggered in this case) as it offers protection against a variety of systems, whether they be looking to hit us through the middle (which we can look for further protection, either by pulling Boateng back or making the midfield four really narrow) or out wide. With a staggered approach, it's more difficult for opponents to get spaces between the lines.

Anyway, I look forward to other opinions.
Thanks for the post. I don't think I have anything new to contribute. I have only one question. There is one big assumption on which based all your analysis, which is that we can secure Kevin Strootman (or someone else that is competent) to fill the big hole left behind by Mark van Bommel. That to me, is our top priority, as it is obviously pivotal in Allegri's system, after his big decision last season to marginalize Pirlo and let van Bommel take over in the center midfield.

I wonder if we fail to find player for that role (which is not impossible knowing our track record on the mercato), what would Allegri do? Would he insist the same formation with inferior player (say, Ambrosini), or would he actually change to a different formation? It is sad that we can't provide the coach players of his choice; even if/when we did, leaving the purchase until the last minute of the summer has certainly created much trouble for the coach's prepration for the new season.
aka xudong
Are you sure it will be ALLEGRI's system?

I kinda hope for Capello.
(05-13-2012, 07:57 PM)Stitch Wrote: Are you sure it will be ALLEGRI's system?

Capello is a coach that needs full support from the management, no-question-asked type of support. He will demand a lot of star players. Our current squad has only Silva and Ibrahimovic that Capello does't mind. Maybe Abbiati too. He never really cares that much on goalkeepers. Big Grin
aka xudong
Well there were reports that he will be appointed a director from next season..i was hoping it was just a coverup so that Allegri doesnt feel uncomfortable for the last few games.

A man can always hope Big Grin
(05-13-2012, 08:33 PM)Stitch Wrote: Well there were reports that he will be appointed a director from next season..i was hoping it was just a coverup so that Allegri doesnt feel uncomfortable for the last few games.

A man can always hope Big Grin

Sure. Keep hoping. Big Grin I have followed Capello under both his two tenures with Milan. The first one was great; the second spell was simply disastrous. I can't even imagine a third one, honestly.
aka xudong
I really like the 3rd line up a lot although i'd probably put ganso in nocerinos position, nocerino scores a lot but don't forget he's a vital part to our midfield, he scored a lot of his goals running up from midfield, shooting from short/medium distance i dont think he'd be good cutting into the box and playing that position
(05-13-2012, 07:06 PM)xudong Wrote: Thanks for the post. I don't think I have anything new to contribute. I have only one question. There is one big assumption on which based all your analysis, which is that we can secure Kevin Strootman (or someone else that is competent) to fill the big hole left behind by Mark van Bommel. That to me, is our top priority, as it is obviously pivotal in Allegri's system, after his big decision last season to marginalize Pirlo and let van Bommel take over in the center midfield.

I wonder if we fail to find player for that role (which is not impossible knowing our track record on the mercato), what would Allegri do? Would he insist the same formation with inferior player (say, Ambrosini), or would he actually change to a different formation? It is sad that we can't provide the coach players of his choice; even if/when we did, leaving the purchase until the last minute of the summer has certainly created much trouble for the coach's prepration for the new season.

If I'm honest, if we fail to adequately replace Van Bommel, then I'm seriously worried about our future. Strootman for me is a realistic target, as his market value is around 10-15m (given MvB will probably start in Euros ahead him, I doubt we'll see a great change in this), which we may be able to secure him for the lower end of that. Also, Raiola has been said to be working on this for us.

What would Allegri do without a player for this role? I have no idea, as this position is key for his system and team.

(05-13-2012, 07:57 PM)Stitch Wrote: Are you sure it will be ALLEGRI's system?

I rate Capello as one of the greatest coaches ever, if not the greatest. However, he's already had 2 stints at Milan and he won't get the backing he needs, hence I think it's unrealistic to see him come in. Given Allegri's been confirmed too, I doubt he'll be sacked now.

(05-15-2012, 01:15 AM)WCmilan Wrote: I really like the 3rd line up a lot although i'd probably put ganso in nocerinos position, nocerino scores a lot but don't forget he's a vital part to our midfield, he scored a lot of his goals running up from midfield, shooting from short/medium distance i dont think he'd be good cutting into the box and playing that position

Bear in mind the third line up was simply a variation on how we might attack starting from the first line up (all lineups are based on starting from our first lineup). Hence in the defensive phase of the game, I'd want Nocerino to pull back into midfield and only when we attack do I want him to push up into attack.

No one else has any thoughts or ideas on how they want us to lineup next season?
(05-15-2012, 09:46 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: No one else has any thoughts or ideas on how they want us to lineup next season?

I quite like your lineup, for me there’s too many question marks about who we might sign (or I don’t have enough of an imagination) to make my own…I mean I could do something a la the old fantasy signings thread, but I’ve become a bit too disillusioned by our recent mercati to do that. Maybe later.

As I see it, Abbiati, Thiago, Abate, Nocerino, Boateng and Ibra are sure starters next season, probably Montolivo, too. Urby at LB could be a good solution to our concerns there, given that he wouldn’t cost anything and there aren’t that many LBs out there that are better and at the same time affordable. Let’s hope Tassotti can teach him a thing or two. Cynics might say, that if Urby had the makings of a good LB he would be playing as one by now…

I hope we find someone to replace Nesta, as I don’t have a lot of trust in anyone we have atm – besides Thiago, obviously. I don’t know enough of Acerbi or Ogbonna to say whether they’re up for it, but then, I could’ve never even hoped that Thiago would be such an amazing replacement for Maldini, so you never know.

In midfield I hope to see two new names, a new van Bommel and and someone creative. Strootman I have seen next to nothing of, but I hear good things, and he could be the new anchor – not sure an Italian manager would trust a 22-year-old for such an important job, though! Ganso could be a genius move to add some creativity, if his price tag has dropped to a more reasonable level. I’m not gonna pretend I watch the Brazilian league all the time, but from what I’ve seen he could add some qualities we’re missing now and that Boateng, as much as I like him, don’t have (vision, passing etc.).

Up front I really have no idea who’s staying and who’s leaving. If we sign someone like Ganso or Hamsik, we might play with only one pure striker, in which case we have too many now. On the other hand I don’t see us selling more than one of Ibra, Pato, Robinho and Cassano, so I guess a two striker-formation is more likely then.
(05-15-2012, 09:46 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: There is one big assumption on which based all your analysis, which is that we can secure Kevin Strootman (or someone else that is competent) to fill the big hole left behind by Mark van Bommel. That to me, is our top priority, as it is obviously pivotal in Allegri's system, after his big decision last season to marginalize Pirlo and let van Bommel take over in the center midfield.

I said it in a different thread, I will say it once again. Replacing MVbommel is top priority. But Allegrie`s word scared me today,as I don`t see neither Monty nor Muntari doing a great job ahead of the defense. For starter, they are different type of players with different characteristics which automatically means they can not be alternative to each other (if we are serious about our intentions to win smth). Monty is Pirlo type of player,Muntari is more of MVbommel type of player(if they are played ahead of defense)

When Allegri had them both, he did not alternate between both of them,instead he put Pirlo on the left, and played Ambro as holding midfielder.

So my question is WHY is he making excuses/plans from now that one of them will be registra/anchor/holding midfielder.....HE should be asking for exact type of player as MVbommel. And he should be as ruthless in his demands and he was with Pirlo when he decided that he does not need him anymore, so one year later and one scudetto lost due to Pirlo ,we could take a lesser version of him to imitate him as a registra.

In worst case scenario where we are left to chose btw Monty and Muntari what do you think will happen DEV??? If you have time I would really like to hear your opinion on this matter.How do you see both of them from technical and tactical point of view??

No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.