Alternative to penalty shootout?
Sepp Blatter wants penalty shoot-out alternative

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs.

Beckenbauer is head of the Football Task Force 2014, a group designed to recommend rule changes.

"Football can be a tragedy when you go to penalty kicks," Blatter said.

"Football should not go to one to one. When it goes to penalty kicks football loses its essence."

He added: "Perhaps Franz Beckenbauer with his football 2014 group can show us a solution, perhaps not today but in the future."

The Champions League final was decided on penalties this season, with Chelsea winning after Bayern Munich dominated the game. It was the 10th time that the European Cup final has gone to a shoot-out.

Quote:What was there before penalty shoot-outs?
Before shoot-outs were introduced in 1970, drawn games went to either a replay, lots were drawn or they were decided by a coin toss - in the 1968 European Championship semi-final, Italy beat Soviet Union on a coin toss

Zambia also won a major cup in a penalty shoot-out this season, beating Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations.

The World Cup final has twice been decided on penalties, with Brazil beating Italy in 1994 and Italy seeing off France in 2006.

Blatter referred to the "tragedy" of shoot-outs after Italy's win, although four years later he suggested having all draws in World Cup group games ending with penalties.

The Swiss was speaking to delegates at the Fifa congress on Friday.

Fifa has revealed the decision on the introduction of goal-line technology will take place in Zurich on 5 July rather than in Kiev three days earlier, the day after the Euro 2012 final.

Hawk-Eye, a camera-based system, will be used by independent testers during England's friendly against Belgium on 2 June, although match officials will have no access to data and the trial will have no impact on any contentious goal-line decisions.

Theo Zwanziger, who is in charge of revising Fifa's statues, says that the rule which guarantees the four UK football associations their own Fifa vice-president is outdated. A ruling will be made on it at next year's congress.

"Football has moved on and it is our duty and obligation to decide if the privileges are still justified in our time and age," the German said.

Zwanziger also believes the composition of the International FA Board should be changed. Currently, the UK associations have one vote each and Fifa have four.

Fifa will allocate £48m for insuring players on international duty. The insurance will cover a player's salary from the second to 12th month up to a maximum of £6.2m.

Mark Pieth, chairman of Fifa's independent governance committee, wants to see a number of changes including limited terms of office and age limits on Fifa members and has recommended Fifa set up a public hotline to report corruption allegations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

=======================
I thought it could be interesting discussion. How do you view PK shootout as the tie-breaker? Would you rather change it?

aka xudong
The only solution to the PK that will be more fair is to play until one of the team scores.But that is not human to the players. So even though it is heartbreaking for the team, PK are essential part of football, so it is more fair to loose to a PK rather than a flip of coin??

PK still involves a lot more of footballing attributes than luck?!
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.
(05-25-2012, 06:00 PM)Kastriot Wrote: The only solution to the PK that will be more fair is to play until one of the team scores.But that is not human to the players. So even though it is heartbreaking for the team, PK are essential part of football, so it is more fair to loose to a PK rather than a flip of coin??

PK still involves a lot more of footballing attributes than luck?!
Football some times is the cruelest thing on Earth ... Bayern is my second team and I am devastated because of the tragedy I witnessed last Saturday night. If that had happened to my AC Milano, I might have said adios to football once and for all ...
I mean seriously, Chelsea as European Champions, when the likes of Wigan and Stoke etc beat the hell out of them in EPL games and at times they were so embarrassing that their own fans booed them?????

Replay is the best option ... and we will have more games, more fun, more great performances from great players and most importantly injustice like Istanbul and Munich won't happen.
Argentina will win the World Cup 2018

[Image: mhj0y.jpg]
It has been said, the game should end when one of the team score but players are human. If we really don't want to use penalty to decide the winner of the game (competition), all competition have to be changed to league competition (same points, goal difference should be the decider). There should be very little chance that two or more teams have same points, same goal difference and same goal scored. From competitive point of view, that is the best way to decide the winner, let all teams play among them and the stronger is the winner. From effectiveness (time needed), efficiency and attractiveness (exciting) league might not be the answer.
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
Blatter, Blatter, Blatter ...

He talks about the PK when nobody cares about that and nobody never ever complained about the penalties (well, sometimes, some people say it's cruel to decide a game with the PK, but generally, the ones saying that are the ones who lost, when they win, they are happy to have win thanks to the penalties) ...

Why does he want to create a false "problem" ?

To avoid the question of the new technology in football, it's as simple as that ...
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
(05-25-2012, 06:57 PM)GeoTav Wrote: Blatter, Blatter, Blatter ...

He talks about the PK when nobody cares about that and nobody never ever complained about the penalties (well, sometimes, some people say it's cruel to decide a game with the PK, but generally, the ones saying that are the ones who lost, when they win, they are happy to have win thanks to the penalties) ...

Why does he want to create a false "problem" ?

To avoid the question of the new technology in football, it's as simple as that ...

Blatter is a great "Spin doctor" always has been.How do you explain differently the fact he has stayed put all these years,when everybody is after his head??
No ho visto Superman volare, ma ho visto Super Pippo segnare. I supereroi esistono davvero.
PK shootouts are exciting; they are not perfect but fair to some extent. After all, if you can't beat the opponent (like Bayern failed to utilize so many chances which is part of the game) within the time, then you subject yourself to the cruel luck.

It is definitely more fair to tossing a coin. It did happen before and I remember Italy was, though I don't remember if they were the lucky winner or loser.

It is better than replay. Bayern won one of those European Cup (I remember it was against Atletico Madrid in 1974) out of a replay. It was a bit similar to this year's final. Atletico scored at 114', Bayern equalized at 119'. Two days there was a replay in which Bayern won 4-0 and it was their first European Cup in their history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_European_Cup_Final). The main problem with replay (I actually won't mind that too much) is that it creates a lot of scheduling issue and is logisticaly unsound nowadays.

I don't like the "sudden death", aka "golden ball". We have seen that in major tournaments (Euro96, WC98) that adopted it, teams tended to play more conservatively and wait for the penalty shootouts. It was supposed to encourage attack but achieved unintended goal.

I would keep the PK shootout as tie-breaker. Nobody is complaining about it; and don't fix what's not broken. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as taking out the extra time. In any two-leg rounds, apply the aggregate score then away goal rules, then go to PK shootout directly. Keep the 30-minute extra-time for one-leg match.

If the goal is simply to remove PK shootout (which I personally would be against), there are ways to do so. Other than Golden Goal rule, there was Silver Goal rule which was a slight improvement. We (Milan) almost benefited from it (2003 Italia Supercoppa). Pirlo scored from the spot one minute before the end of first half of extra time; had we kept the scoreline for one more minute, we would have won; then Trezeguet equalized immediately. The game eventually went to the PK after another scoreless 15 minutes, and we lost. For those who aren't so familiar with the Silver Goal rule, I found a piece of reading for you.

Quote:The Silver Goal

The silver goal is a method for deciding the outcome of elimination matches (i.e. during the knockout stages of a competition). The silver goal only comes into effect if the scores are level at the end of the 90 minutes. If a goal is scored during the first 15 minutes of extra time, and that team is still in the lead at half-time, the team wins the match. If the scores are level after 15 minutes, a second period of extra-time is played.

The ruling was proposed in 2002 to replace the golden goal method, which was considered to encourage negative, highly defensive play during extra time. It was hoped that the silver goal would avoid the sudden-death situation, reduce pressure on the referee and encourage the offensive, positive play which was seen as too risky with the golden goal rule.

The silver goal was not compulsory, with football competitions able to employ the golden goal, the silver goal, or neither ruling if the game went on to extra time.

The first major competition to use the silver goal ruling was the 2003 UEFA Cup. It was also used in the Euro 2004 competition, when Greece beat their semi-final opponents, the Czech Republic, by scoring a silver goal in the final two seconds of the first period of extra time. The silver goal ruling was subsequently dropped by the International Football Association Board, and is no longer part of the Rules of the Game.

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/foo..._rule.html

I personally don't like either Golden or Silver goal, but as I say, if the goal is simply to remove PK, maybe there can be some rule like this: whoever scores first in the extra time will win, given that at the end of 120', the scoreline is a win or a draw for them; they will lose if they are outscored. That should greatly reduce the probability of a PK shootout. That of course, only works for the one-leg game only; as for the two-leg game, as long as any team scores, away goal rule already kicks in and breaks the tie.

I however, would keep the penalty kicks. They are exciting; and fun to watch (particularly as a neutral). I also like a lot the English FA Cup format, but I know that it is not going to happen to UEFA CL.

And Sepp Blatter is a senile asshole. Grinundwech

aka xudong
Blatter is an easy target, not saying he doesn't deserve it but some of the stuff, like the stuff I mentioned in another thread with Bayern's directors are unfair.

Regarding shootouts, to me it has nothing to do about excitement. In my opinion nothing can top the excitement of the 90 or 120 minutes of the games themselves. Something unrelated to the games can not be deciding factors, that's why I am against shootouts. Possible alternatives...I wish I knew.
I disagree.Big Grin The most exciting part of football is scoring, isn't it? In PK shootout, you are guaraanteed with 10 shots and most likely 7 or 8 goals. :LOL2: You know that the game is about over, and with a lot of goals. Big Grin

Yesterday, I watched two Copa Libertadores QFs and thrilled that they both went to penalty shootout. I didn't really care for either of those four teams, but somehow just loved the PKs. Icon_lol2

and I insist, Sepp is senile and like Berlusconi, a lot of what he says makes him look stupid. So he probably should just shut the f*ck up. Icon_lol2
aka xudong
I would be open to the idea of replacing PKs if only I had heard an alternative I liked. Apart from reinstating golden goal or silver goal (which of course doesn't eliminate the need for PKs), I once heard someone (don't remember who) suggest taking out one player from each team every 5 or ten minutes of extra times until someone scores. It woudl be interesting to see what sort of football that would produce, but it does sound a bit too silly to me.

Btw, I hate penalties when it's in a match where I cheer for one of the teams. There's nothing more heartbreaking in football than losing a PK shootout, and on the other hand winning one feels a bit hollow. But in a game between two teams were I don't care too much who wins (like the CL final - although I did actually prefer Bayern...) it's fine.