Euro 2012 Quarters, Semis and Final
(07-02-2012, 12:15 PM)GeoTav Wrote: The main problem is the midfield, where nowadays, the games are won or lost ... Marchisio and Montolivo are the next leaders of this midfield, which is something very possible for Montolivo, while Marchisio will still need to work. But then ? Nocerino could be there, but who else ? Right now, the midfield is IMO the part of the team Prandelli will have to develop the most during the next two years, by trying some new combinations (with and without Pirlo, with and without De Rossi, etc).

ANyway, well done to the Azzuri and I'm proud of them !!

De Rossi is 28. He is the leader of the midfield and the leader of the Team. He was the best player for Italy in my opinion.

I'm very upset about the game against Spain, but overall happy at the tournament considering the expectations we had going in all things considered.

De Rossi will take Pirlo's position as Regista. He is more than capable of handling that with ease. He also showed he is capable of playing alongside Pirlo, and I thought the two did very well together. Montolivo and Marchisio will continue as well, along with Nocerino, but Marchisio needs to show more ( I agree ). Diamanti also impressed and T. Motta will remain in the team as a defensive midfielder.

El Shaaraway will come into the team in the next few years as either an ACM or SS. That is very exciting, considering him to be in there with Balotelli, Cassano, and G. Rossi. Very exciting.

Overall I'm content. I thought Prandelli did very well with exception to the last game, and that he played similar to how Allegri wants to play, except Allegri's midfield is terrible. How much is it the coach and how much is it the actual players?? That's the question everyone should be asking. Take that midfield of Italy's and put them on AC Milan and we win the UCL or make the Final. I'm quite confident of that.

As for Balotelli, I'm proud of him as I thought he was kept in check, he didn't act up, he played well and worked hard. Glad to see him cry as I hope he comes back stronger for Brazil. Cassano will now have G. Rossi back in 2 years to help him out as Fitness is always his issue. I'm afraid he may never be a 90 minute player.

In defense, Chiellini never should have started, and Balzaretti did well. What upset me the most about this tournament is the scheduling. Italy had 3 day rest for Germany and then 2 days for Spain. Spain had 4 days rest before Semi Final and 3 days before Final. BIG BIG BIG DIFFERENCE.
The fatigue and injury finally kicked in, and at the worst possible time. Italy could hold their heads high, but unfortunately a loss is a loss.

The scheduling is after all fair. If Italy won the group while Spain was the runner up, then their situation would have been just reversed, and who knows that what might happen in the final. But I agree with you to some extent that it is not reasonable even though it is fair. Maybe a two-day QF format and one-day SF format would have been better, and I believe that this month-long tournament could get a little shorter.
aka xudong
(07-02-2012, 10:16 PM)xudong Wrote: The fatigue and injury finally kicked in, and at the worst possible time. Italy could hold their heads high, but unfortunately a loss is a loss.

The scheduling is after all fair. If Italy won the group while Spain was the runner up, then their situation would have been just reversed, and who knows that what might happen in the final. But I agree with you to some extent that it is not reasonable even though it is fair. Maybe a two-day QF format and one-day SF format would have been better, and I believe that this month-long tournament could get a little shorter.

Simply impossible : TV will never agree !!

With the 16 team format, once the groups are over, it's one game a day, not more.

And there are always problems actually ... Spain had less rest compared to France and Italy before playing the 1/4 finals.

Actually, to do it well, they should let a minimum of 5 days of rest to all teams between each round (which means some teams might have 6-7 days). The competition would last more weeks, but at least, all teams would remain fit, I presume ...

We'll see what they will do with the 24 team Euro ...
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
(07-02-2012, 10:20 PM)GeoTav Wrote: Simply impossible : TV will never agree !!

With the 16 team format, once the groups are over, it's one game a day, not more.

And there are always problems actually ... Spain had less rest compared to France and Italy before playing the 1/4 finals.

Actually, to do it well, they should let a minimum of 5 days of rest to all teams between each round (which means some teams might have 6-7 days). The competition would last more weeks, but at least, all teams would remain fit, I presume ...

I didn't think it would happen either. By the way, I found a paragraph on Wikipedia, as below.

Quote:Expansion to 24 teams

The UEFA Euro 2016 tournament will be hosted by France, 24 teams will play in this tournament.[56] Bids such as Turkey, Republic of Ireland-Wales-Scotland and Azerbaijan-Georgia are expected to take place in an attempt to host Euro 2020. UEFA president Michel Platini has announced that the possibility of 11-12 different countries hosting the tournament will be given serious consideration in a vote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europe...o_24_teams

What does that underlined quote mean? I am confused. Did Platini actually talk about having 11-12 different countries co-hosting one tournament? Devilol
aka xudong
(07-02-2012, 10:27 PM)xudong Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 10:20 PM)GeoTav Wrote: Simply impossible : TV will never agree !!

I didn't think it would happen either. By the way, I found a paragraph on Wikipedia, as below.

Quote:Expansion to 24 teams

The UEFA Euro 2016 tournament will be hosted by France, 24 teams will play in this tournament.[56] Bids such as Turkey, Republic of Ireland-Wales-Scotland and Azerbaijan-Georgia are expected to take place in an attempt to host Euro 2020. UEFA president Michel Platini has announced that the possibility of 11-12 different countries hosting the tournament will be given serious consideration in a vote.

What does that underlined quote mean? I am confused. Did Platini actually talk about having 11-12 different countries co-hosting one tournament? Devilol

I don't think so ... I think that's about the number of countries wanting to host the Euro 2020, the amount of candidates.

Anyway, that's really a weird sentence !! Devilol
One should not speak ill of the dead.
So stop laughing at Juventus !
I think that's absurb too, but isn't the sentence quite clear that Platini is open to that wierd idea? Huh

12 teams out of qualification rounds + 12 host countries = 24 teams in the final stage of Euro 2020. Imagine that! Icon_lol2
aka xudong
That makes an Euro tour Big Grin
Some of the games should be outside Europe, like Canada for example :p
(07-03-2012, 03:27 AM)reza Wrote: Some of the games should be outside Europe, like Canada for example :p

Attendance may be a problem in that case. Grinundwech
aka xudong
(07-02-2012, 10:45 PM)GeoTav Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 10:27 PM)xudong Wrote: I didn't think it would happen either. By the way, I found a paragraph on Wikipedia, as below.

I don't think so ... I think that's about the number of countries wanting to host the Euro 2020, the amount of candidates.

Anyway, that's really a weird sentence !! Devilol

If you read again, it meant that the hosts are not necessarily the participant too. For example Group A is in England, Group B is in Germany, etc... then we will have quarterfinals in Madrid, Paris, Milan, and Lisbon; semifinals in Moscow and Amsterdam, and a final in Istanbul...
MILAN! MILAN! SOLO CON TE!
MILAN! MILAN! SEMPRE PER TE!