is this a joke?
(10-29-2012, 04:51 AM)ACM2012 Wrote: at first, I thought that he was Abbey trying his third ID; later, I was like "nah, so what if he is?" Big Grin

Interesting possibility. May be right. Devilcool
MILAN! MILAN! SOLO CON TE!
MILAN! MILAN! SEMPRE PER TE!
I agree with Reza this should be in the venting thread.

I'm still uncertain what to think about our new direction. On the one hand I think management are losing it and are seriously struggling to make Milan financially secure, on the other I think we've decided that the best way to build a strong future is to burn down what we had previously and to rebuild.

In reality, I think it's a bit of both. What we currently have is a weak squad, but I think management knew this when building the current squad. What we currently have is a handful of pieces which have been brought in for the long haul, but a lot of the squad are freebies or loan signings, bascially players who we don't have a long commitment to keep. Don't be surprised if in the next year or two we get rid of a significant portion of this group. I don't see guys like Ambro, Abbiati, Mexes, Yepes, Mesbah, Traore, Constant, Bojan (unless things improve with him) and Zapata being here at the end of next summer or at the latest, the summer after that. Even some seemingly important players now, like Boateng, Nocerino, Bonera and Antonini could leave, though I'm certain a couple will remain simply to provide experience in the squad and pass the "Milan values" to the next group.

The reason I think this is because I see these as interim players who are here now to keep Milan afloat until we bring through the players we want. Guys like El Shaarawy, De Sciglio, possibly Pato (I think a lot depends on this season for him), Mastour (only 14 now but in a few years will be 17 and like Pato and El Shaarawy, could start early in the senior squad), Niang (if he learns to behave himself), Acerbi and Cristante are to me the players we're looking to develop into the new generation.

The club's whole philosophy right now in the way we're working is building towards this. We're spending heavily in the youth setup and we know that the names I've mentioned above just barely scratch the surface of the number of young talents we have, but until these guys mature enough to take complete responsibility for the first team, we need players who are capable of performing in Serie A now, hence the not so great names in our squad. However, it's worth noting that we're getting and are linked with a huge number of young talents, meaning on the market we're still focused on building for the future.

However, there's one big problem and that's Berlusconi's problems outside of Milan. His companies, the group that until now funded Milan are having massive problems in a time when the economic situations means companies are dying all the time. It's bad enough to cope with just that, but then you get the 500 million euro fine that Finnivest had last year and Berlusconi's personal problems (bunga bunga parties and the recent tax evasion charges) and suddenly Milan which has been reliant on these parties are in serious trouble, meaning Milan itself no longer has that security.

What does this actually mean? Well, had Berlu not had these problems, then I think we'd have seen a slower transition to reliance on youth, with us keeping players like Silva and probably replacing Ibra (who was a massive financial burden) with another quality but cheaper forward (i.e. Tevez or Dzeko maybe), essentially players who can be relied on for the next 3-4 years until we've got our new generation ready. However, given the problems we have now, I think we're trying to accelerate the process of bringing through young talent and are prepared to sacrifice a year or two of results to do this.

Question is where we will be in a couple of years. We could end up like Barca, who endured quite a few disappointing seasons from 2000-2005, but spent that period building the squad that would eventually dominate in Europe first under Rijkaard and then see the full effects of the work under Guardiola or we could end up like Arsenal, who have relied on young talents but ultimately having failed to win anything in almost a decade see themselves risk becoming a selling club.

I have faith that we'll come back again though. Simply put, our management may be far from perfect, but there's a reason they can boast as much as they like to about their success. Also, unlike Arsenal, our pedigree in European football is only matched by a few teams, meaning we should still be an attractive name and with a strong "aura" which keep players at the club and instills a winning mentality in the club.

My final comment is reserved for how the club structure is rumoured to be changing. Galliani, Braida and Berlusconi aren't young anymore and rumours are flying around that we're ready to start bringing ex-players into management, such as Maldini, Costacurta and Baresi, never mind Rino and Pippo (who is already in the hierarchy). Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Seedorf return too at some point. These guys returning would ensure that the club retains it's strong character and mentality, something important for the forseeable future.