Current squad - what work is needed?
Since there aren't many great RB's like you said, it's best we keep Abate because we won't find much better. Our team is/has been a disaster, it's normal that even our better players under perform when that's the case. Santon will definitely not be an improvement to Abate if he came now, and if we want to return to winning we don't have time to wait on players like this as starters. I'd be very happy with signing Santon if he was replacing Constant, that way we wouldn't need to rely on Santon to be our starter, and we'd be upgrading to Constant + I don't deny that Santon will probably be very good in the future...but if we had to replace Abate I'd expect someone with more experience than Santon and generally better like Criscito and move DS to RB, or if we had the money bring our RB position to a completely new level and sign someone like Alves.

Essentially I agree with you, Santon would be a good signing, just not at the expense of Abate. As far as midfielders go, my DREAM signing would be Verratti. Just like you said, I'd only be happy with Nainggolan because he's a good player and he would probably cost half of Verratti. Anyhow, great point that we definitely need to cut down the squad size - I've mentioned my desire for this to happen before, but unfortunately we already only have 30 players, I don't think cutting 3-4 useless players out would allow us much financial freedom anyhow. Hence, if we need to cut the squad we would still need big investment, but surely people like Robinho/Matri leaving would grant us the largest leeway in opening up some finances to build a better squad. Everyone else is on relatively low wages (still high considering their quality), but low in comparison to what we would need to pay any quality players we buy. Apart from that, many of them aren't worth much anyways. Bottom line is, and also my reasoning for not putting too much blame on Galliani, is that we need a cash injection of 40-50M, afterwards wages can be within our budget if we offload our many under par players.

Who I'm interested in though, above all, is this 'Doria' guy. Some members were talking about him in the mercato thread, and also about us having links in the past. At the time I knew nothing about him, but I did some research and I'm finding many people hailing him as the next Silva of his generation. Again, I don't get to happy when I hear stuff like that, because even not too long ago I remember hearing Brescia's president saying Salamon could be the next Baresi, lol. BUT, players like Doria are gambles we need to take for two reasons:
1) There aren't many quality defenders in circulation, the two or three at most that are out there are either untouchable or will cost us half our squad.
2) We've seen success in Silva, we've seen recent young Brazilian defenders succeed such as Marquinhos, and some of you may disagree but I think Juan Jesus from Merda is actually quite talented as well. Tactically naive but the kid possesses everything he needs to be a great defender, almost unbeatable in 1 on 1 scenarios too.
I think what made Silva great was probably b/c he once failed in Europe as a young age. It actually made him a better player b/c he understood what he needed to do to succeed. Now I am not saying all young players need to fail before becoming great but the medias and agents love to hype young players like they are the next so and so but how often do these young players end up developing into a true superstar.
Look at Aimar, Saviola and Riqlueme now. Yes, injuries played a big part in their development, but they never justify their hype. While guys like Ibra, D. Milito, and Gerrard all have better careers then them with less hype.
As we're trying to focus on the squad, here's the squad with my opinion as to who should be Milan players:

Abbiati - Given his age and inconsistent form, I think it's time to call it a day at the season end.
Amelia - If he's prepared to stay as second keeper, then ok, but I doubt it.
Gabriel - I would make him a first team player. He's young but has shown himself ready for the top flight. Have patience, because he will make mistakes, but let him grow.
Coppola - As 3rd choice I have few complaints.

Abate - I'd want to keep him, but he needs to improve on what we've seen this season.
Bonera - I'd keep him because he's one of the few who still understands what it means to represent Milan and trains professionally. He'd be a backup and would only be short term though.
Constant - No. I was expecting growth following last season, but he's not only regressed, his professionalism is a big doubt (plus that selfie Big Grin )
De Sciglio - Yes and a starter at that.
Mexes - No. I've never been a fan, feel he's one who personifies our problems and quite frankly we should sell him while we still can look to get something.
Silvestre - No. A player I don't think should be in Milan.
Vergara - If he's good, given him chances, but if he's got no future at Milan then let him move on.
Zaccardo - No. Never understood this purchase and never will.
Zapata - Maybe, but as a backup.

Birsa - No. Like Zaccardo, he shouldn't have ever come.
Cristante - Yes and give him some opportunities!
De Jong - Yes, but for short term only.
Urby - No. Another who really never had a place in Milan, despite many games.
Montolivo - Yes, but he needs to get back to last seasons levels. His last 2 games were satisfactory and an improvement.
Muntari - No. Like Mexes he's another who I consider symbolic of the state of things, though he at least appears to work hard.
Nocerino - No. I appreciate his workrate and professionalism, but I don't think he's got a future at the club.
Poli - Yes, but as he currently is he's a squad player, not starter material.
Saponara - Yes and like Cristante, give him opportunities!

Balotelli - Leaning towards no. He's got amazing ability, but his attitude and inconsistent/lack of mental strength and professionalism is worrying. I feel we can get something for him now, but if he continues to dip then we'll make a loss on him.
El Shaarawy - Yes and start building to make him more integral.
Kaka - Yes, he's fundamental right now as we transition to a new generation, as he's literally the only player who has the ethics suited to our traditions and can convey this to others (unlike Abbiati).
Matri - No. A waste of money and possibly the biggest blot in Galliani's history.
Pazzini - Yes. As a sub he's been very good and is another who works hard.
Niang - Maybe. I'd seriously consider selling if a good offer comes in, as he's not grown much if at all since joining.
Robinho - No. Another like Mexes and Muntari.

Honestly quite surprised how few players I actually really want to keep.
I would keep Urby as a bench player
Dev, that was one bold evaluation/suggestion. I wish our managment can be as sharp and as ambitious as you. Okmilan
aka xudong
Sc*ew Galliani and Barbara, get Maldini and Dev on that sinking boat Okmilan
(12-03-2013, 03:11 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Balotelli - Leaning towards no. He's got amazing ability, but his attitude and inconsistent/lack of mental strength and professionalism is worrying. I feel we can get something for him now, but if he continues to dip then we'll make a loss on him.

Same here. Until he realises that he's got huge responbility to take as the star of a team (since he thinks so) and acts/ performs like one, I, too, may have no problem if he is sold.
At this timing, based on this season alone, if chelsea really comes and offers lukaku+ cash or even 1 to 1 exchange, I would be saying yes to that offer.
(12-04-2013, 07:28 PM)Androgynous Wrote: Sc*ew Galliani and Barbara, get Maldini and Dev on that sinking boat Okmilan

lol, I would be lying if I said it wouldn't be a dream to work with Maldini Big Grin If I'm honest, I think Barbara is trying to follow the line I want anyway or at least it appears as though she is.

(12-04-2013, 03:32 PM)xudong Wrote: Dev, that was one bold evaluation/suggestion. I wish our managment can be as sharp and as ambitious as you. Okmilan

It's one thing to say I want these players out but it can't be done in a year or two, it will have to be a gradual process. If I'm honest, this was just what I thought of our current squad.

(12-03-2013, 04:00 PM)Gabriel426 Wrote: I would keep Urby as a bench player

It depends as bench for what. If he's a sub for LB, I don't trust him defensively and thinks he affects the balance of the side. If he's a utility man, then we're continuing down the same line we've been on for a few years and so the only role I can see is wide left attacker/winger, roles which others can and have done (El Shaarawy, Saponara and Kaka).

I also doubt his attitude. Apparently when Allegri mentioned players can't ask to play and then play as they did vs Caen, he was one of the guys he was referring to.

(12-05-2013, 12:08 PM)edysim Wrote: Same here. Until he realises that he's got huge responbility to take as the star of a team (since he thinks so) and acts/ performs like one, I, too, may have no problem if he is sold.
At this timing, based on this season alone, if chelsea really comes and offers lukaku+ cash or even 1 to 1 exchange, I would be saying yes to that offer.

My thoughts exactly. He's been talking about changing attitude, but it's one thing to talk and another to actually follow through.
I alluded to this in the Livorno thread but I wonder what you guys think may happen with the arrival of Honda? I wonder if Allegri would field a team with an attack of Balo, Kaka, Honda and even ELS.

I also wonder if he is going to consider blowing up the Monti-De Jong partnership which just doesn't provide the defensive coverage for the CBs.

So sad to see 12mil Euros on the bench (Matri) when it could obviously help us with the CB position. Just such a pathetic team assembled.
Dont get me wrong, I like De jong but I dont think the destroyer role is working for us. Its been said here before that it worked with Van Bommel *hes more of an anchor as Silva brought the ball forward alot.

I sadly watched the game sat, and atm zapata / mexes are no better than Laursen or Roque Junior..

Do you guys think Allegri will be gone if we don't win again Ajax?