AC Milan - Celtic (18/09/13 - 20:45)
we dont have any other player beside poli on the bench beppe
i just check it in the fantasy league ucl
monto injured, kaka injured, els injured
Emanuelson shouldve played in midfield, and robinho as trequartista. there's no reason to play Valter Birsa and 3DMs!
I agree with everything that Revolver had to say, except for his assessment about Muntari and Zapata, both of which I thought were generally horrible, but I'll get onto that later.

I don't really want to write too much, but this was a poor performance, although still better than what we saw vs Torino. We were still far too open, the side lacked cohesion both defensively and offensively. The number of times we opened up for opponents to run through was simply shocking and I have major concerns about where our season is heading.

This match was similar to the Verona match imo. We started ok, pressing and forcing Celtic back, but after a period of dominance our teamwork was poor and Celtic grew into the match. It was only ultimately some fortune, with them hitting the bar and Zapata's shot taking a massive deflection that took the result in our favour. After the second goal, we actually closed out the match really well, holding possession and never giving an opportunity for a fight back.

However, tactically we're all over the place of late, while technically I think we're simply not up to par, at least while we have so many players out.

Players:

Abbiati - Didn't really have to do much despite Celtic getting chances.
Zaccardo - Simply not good enough. He offers almost nothing to the side other than another body on the pitch.
Zapata - At times his positioning was atrocious at times and as a result Celtic had some chances. Mexes was thankfully covering well overall.
Mexes - Decent game, looking confident at the back.
Constant - Terrible, showing a lot of energy but nothing else.
Nocerino - Some tactical discipline simply isn't enough at this level.
De Jong - Really solid with some massively important tackles/interceptions
Muntari - Has no tactical discipline whatsoever, totally affecting the shape and discipline of the side and preventing us from working well as a unit. Technically he was very mixed, with a couple of nice passes, but many poor moments.
Birsa - I honestly don't think he's up to this level. Technically started well, but disappeared soon after.
Balotelli - He did well given his odd role on the left, but why was he so far from Matri in the first place? He supposedly works better with someone next to him, yet was asked to play on the wing as opposed next to his strike partner.
Matri - Was too isolated when up front, dropping deep as a result, leaving us to lose our reference
Urby - Came on to decent effect and add more quality
Robinho - Didn't really add a great deal at the end
Poli - effectively used to kill time, but hopefully will be ready for the weekend, where he should start
(09-19-2013, 12:42 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: I agree with everything that Revolver had to say, except for his assessment about Muntari and Zapata, both of which I thought were generally horrible, but I'll get onto that later.

I don't really want to write too much, but this was a poor performance, although still better than what we saw vs Torino. We were still far too open, the side lacked cohesion both defensively and offensively. The number of times we opened up for opponents to run through was simply shocking and I have major concerns about where our season is heading.

This match was similar to the Verona match imo. We started ok, pressing and forcing Celtic back, but after a period of dominance our teamwork was poor and Celtic grew into the match. It was only ultimately some fortune, with them hitting the bar and Zapata's shot taking a massive deflection that took the result in our favour. After the second goal, we actually closed out the match really well, holding possession and never giving an opportunity for a fight back.

However, tactically we're all over the place of late, while technically I think we're simply not up to par, at least while we have so many players out.

Players:

Abbiati - Didn't really have to do much despite Celtic getting chances.
Zaccardo - Simply not good enough. He offers almost nothing to the side other than another body on the pitch.
Zapata - At times his positioning was atrocious at times and as a result Celtic had some chances. Mexes was thankfully covering well overall.
Mexes - Decent game, looking confident at the back.
Constant - Terrible, showing a lot of energy but nothing else.
Nocerino - Some tactical discipline simply isn't enough at this level.
De Jong - Really solid with some massively important tackles/interceptions
Muntari - Has no tactical discipline whatsoever, totally affecting the shape and discipline of the side and preventing us from working well as a unit. Technically he was very mixed, with a couple of nice passes, but many poor moments.
Birsa - I honestly don't think he's up to this level. Technically started well, but disappeared soon after.
Balotelli - He did well given his odd role on the left, but why was he so far from Matri in the first place? He supposedly works better with someone next to him, yet was asked to play on the wing as opposed next to his strike partner.
Matri - Was too isolated when up front, dropping deep as a result, leaving us to lose our reference
Urby - Came on to decent effect and add more quality
Robinho - Didn't really add a great deal at the end
Poli - effectively used to kill time, but hopefully will be ready for the weekend, where he should start

very good assessment, I feel the same way you do about Muntari - he has no tactical discipline and disrupted the cohesion and structure of the team

Commentators repeatedly said how Muntari was way too centralized the entire game where De jong was taking care of everything fine, meaning Muntari left the wing wide open and Celtic on multiple attacks utilized that space but were lucky a lot of their crosses were misfired.
I thought the assessments of Constant were a bit harsh. He provided that gilt edge opportunity to Muntari who skyed his header. Constant was definitely guilty of mis positioning with needing a Mexes/De Jong cover and some poor passing BUT he provided more of a threat forward than any current LB. Honestly people here have been sweating Poli saying he is a massive player who should be playing more. I am probably in the minority but to me he is like Constant, a decent upgrade (to Nocerino and Emmanuelson respectively) but by no means a great player.

Can we some how take a moratorium on shots way outside of the box? It's like KPB leaves and Muntari and Balo try to take his place by just skying a ton of shots from like 40 yards out.

Overall I can't believe Celtic felt like they should have one. I felt like they had maybe one or 2 half chances. We had many missed opportunities but enough of them and eventually you'll break a team (Zapata's deflection). Honestly 1-0 would have been more fair but we definitely deserved the win.
Going back to the commentator's again, they were incredibly bias towards us. Kept saying how Celtic deserves the win and the player better etc etc. They had a bunch of half chances, but so did we as well as a few very good ones. Overall I think we did play slightly better, but against a team like Celtic I would've expected more of a dominant display. I was going to attach a lot of blame to Allegri for our poor display but we were missing a good 70% of our starters anyhow. Strange that he would field Birsa instead of Robinho, and strangely Poli makes an appearance from the bench again.

As far as our midfield goes, I think only Poli/De Jong/Montolivo should be guaranteed. Nocerino/Muntari shouldn't be up until this point, although I do think Muntari is an important player when he's on his game. It's been a long while though since Nocerino has had an all around good game, I would've loved if we had kept Boateng and he would be convinced to go back in the midfield 3, and sell Nocerino instead. I guess we wouldn't have gotten enough $ for Nocerino though.
(09-20-2013, 03:04 AM)honsano Wrote: He provided that gilt edge opportunity to Muntari who skyed his header.

It was Zapata, not Constant.

I have to say that I strongly disagree with all of you about Muntari.

We're all talking about tactical discipline. What tactical discipline? We had tactical discipline last year, we had tactical discipline in the first three rounds this year. What have we got from it? Barely a third place, and 4 points out of 3 games.
And for God's sake, we're playing against Celtic and not against Barcelona.
Undisciplined players are EXACTLY what we need, at least two of them in every game. Becuase even teams that are fighting for relegation are reading us like a book. We need players with guts, players with grit, players with arrogance, players that will do more than Allegri told them to do.

I don't know for you, but I will always pick "undisciplined" Muntari, instead of "disciplined" Nocerino who provided an absolute zero in almost every game he played for the last year and a half.

(09-20-2013, 09:23 AM)Revolver Wrote:
(09-20-2013, 03:04 AM)honsano Wrote: He provided that gilt edge opportunity to Muntari who skyed his header.

It was Zapata, not Constant.

oooh I guess that is what happens when you don't watch in HD TV! I can't tell the numbers apart sometimes. Devilol
(09-20-2013, 09:23 AM)Revolver Wrote: I don't know for you, but I will always pick "undisciplined" Muntari, instead of "disciplined" Nocerino who provided an absolute zero in almost every game he played for the last year and a half.

Nocerino may be discipline but he is tactically clueless. Being tactically disciplined doesn't mean blindly following rules, it means having the intelligence to position and move intelligently on and off the ball as the game required, it means being able to read and understand the game, it means working in synergy with your team mates as one unit.