Summer 2014 Schedule
I agree with most of what you said, but...

Truth to be told, Niang haven't got a chance to mature. Two seasons ago, when Balotelli came, he looked great with Balotelli and ELS, really good prospect. And he was only 17. Yes, there were some issues, that are also present today, like poor finishing, bad decision making, lack of team work, etc. But then, he entered a period of bad form, and after that miss against Barcelona he never got a chance really. Like he was punished for than 2 or 3 centimeters. He never started a game after that, and he was eventually loaned.
I'm not saying that I'm happy with Niang as the first choice, but we must take the best of what we have on disposal, because there is no money. And of all players that we have, Niang can be at least a cover striker in two-strikers formation.

As for Muntari, well I'm not saying he's good, because clearly he isn't good for Milan that we love and cherish. I'm not against bashing of ANY player, as long as that bashing is covered with an alternative. That's why I'm defending him, - he's the most bashed player on this forum, and yet nobody has offered an alternative.
Saponara is not a midfielder, and against Liverpool he looked worst tactically of all of our players. He never was where the ball was, and Niang had to cover him all the time. Poli - hell even I could cover more space than him, the guy is so slow to adapt to a situation on the pitch, that even Montolivo looks like Cambiasso when compared to him. Cristante is too young, and I didn't saw much from him to comment, but from what I've heard he's a playmaker and not a box-to-box, nor a holder.
After De Jong, even tactically inept Muntari is our best midfielder defensively. He's energetic, strong, reads the game well, makes many tackles (although sometimes clumsy) and can mark virtually anyone (remember Xavi two years ago). Compare him with Poli, for example, who's weak, cannot run more than 60 minutes, makes one or two tackles per game, cannot read the game at all...
To, conclude the story about Muntari... With 3 men attack and three men midfield, we must make a midfield that has a balance. Midfield of Poli, Cristante and Saponara has no balance and it's disaster waiting to happen. It's great formula for conceding two or three goals every game. Poli, De Jong and Muntari, or Cristante, De Jong and Muntari are not great midfields, but are pretty balanced.
I agree Niang had some rough treatment after missing vs Barca, but he did get chances last season off the bench and sometimes as a starter (rarely mind). However, my issue with him was he's never conducted himself particularly, acting petulant when he wanted to take a freekick, made comments about Balotelli when leaving and generally getting himself in trouble off the pitch for silly things. He's a kid, but apparently his attitude last year was also something along the lines of thinking he'd already made it. Anyway, I think we're both agreeing he deserves a chance now, along with most here, so let's see what he does. Inzaghi's praised him today, so it's obvious he's going to be given a real chance.

As for Muntari, I don't agree about him reading the game well and his ability in tackling. However, I will agree that there aren't many alternatives in his particular role. Saponara is clearly still learning to play in midfield and is generally a more offensive player. Likewise, De Jong, Montolivo and Cristante all have a preference to play deeper, either as a destroyer or regista, not a mezzala.

Realistically, the only alternatives we have right now to Muntari are Essien and Poli and I will say neither is earning their spot in the squad. Essien for me was a disaster of a signing before it was even agreed, while Poli so far this summer is looking very slow and rather confused. He needs to step up. Ultimately though, none of the three for this position are doing anything to earn it. At this point, once Montolivo and De Jong are back, I'd rather use Cristante there. Either that or we invest in a player who can perform the duties better.
Anyone know why Menez played such a small role in our US tour? Did he pick up a knock? I'm really hoping this season with fewer games and Allegri gone that we have far fewer injuries than previous years.
(08-09-2014, 03:55 PM)honsano Wrote: Anyone know why Menez played such a small role in our US tour? Did he pick up a knock? I'm really hoping this season with fewer games and Allegri gone that we have far fewer injuries than previous years.

Yes, he picked up a minor injury.

I was actually wondering why Zapata played such a small role in the US tour.
aka xudong
@xu I thought because his team made it so far in the WC he needed a rest and also I bet we are trying to trade him. to sell him injuries must be avoided at all costs.
So, will there be any link to watch Milan-Pro Piacenza today at 17:00?
As always check the following: http://goatd.net/ or http://www.wiziwig.tv/ among other popular websites. Do we still have that thread which has a compilation of all the streaming sites?
Siamo a posto cosi.
3-0 so far

Muntari, Honda, Niang

Starters:
Abbiati; Bonera, Zapata, Rami, Albertazzi; Poli, De Jong, Muntari; Honda, Balotelli, Menez.

Start of second half:
Agazzi; Abate, Alex, Mexes, Zaccardo; Essien, Modic, Saponara; Niang, Pazzini, El Shaarawy.
Finished 5-1 with ElS and Pazzini adding the 4th and 5th goals
FINE AS WE ARE!
Siamo a posto cosi.