Week 33: Milan - Catania (April 13, 2014 - 20:45 CET)
Milan baffles me.. seriously.

Last year, we went practically undefeated for half a season to secure 3rd place. This year, we couldn't even get 4 wins in half a season (sarcastically speaking, but could that be validBig Grin?) and we go on a 4 game winning streak, and we're only 3 points away from a Europa spot. Do we lack consistency, are our players lazy, what is it?

Then again, integrating Taarabt and Rami into the squad has been very important for us, Seedorf is also looking like not such a bad coach as of lately. He's made some good choices at the back, we've been looking a lot more solid defensively.
Seedorf has done great so far IMO. He has performed much , much better than Allegri. 4 wins in a row is great. Hopefully we can kick out a lot of dead wood in the summer and seedorf will get a few players he wants.
Very similar, but improved performance compared to Genoa. We need to do better in controlling games and decision making, both positionally and technically, which is often just atrocious. Seedorf acknowledged this post match which is good. Other thing that struck me is our midfield still lack cohesion and understanding and I get frustrated with Montolivo and De Jong not showing themselves to take the ball from defence, a problem for a while now.

I don't have time for a full review, but I'll just give player ratings:

- Abbiati: Good game, one great save on a Lodi freekick
- Bonera: Some bad moments in defence made him look shaky
- Rami: Very solid and one major mistake which he immediately corrected
- Mexes: His best game in a while, looking very confident and positionally good
- Constant: Solid game but he's not really good enough.
- Montolivo: He made some poor mistakes, but overall a very good game and great goal. When he's doing things right, he's exceptional.
- De Jong: While I don't think he works well with Montolivo as a unit, his individual game was pretty good, lots of good breaking up of play and some neat passing.
- Poli: Struggled on the left and quickly changed with Kaka and Taarabt. His workrate was good, but overall quality and creativity missing that Honda provides.
- Taarabt: When he plays simply and doesn't try too much on his own, he's exceptional. In this match he had those moments, but did try to over elaborate at times. He offers us qualities that no other player in the squad can and it's highly valuable.
- Kaka: He has some good moments, but I really feel he's finished at this level. Apparently the club want to convince him to stay, I would question whether he should stay.
- Balotelli: Post Chievo I said I really liked his game, in this match, despite trying, he was totally wrong in the positions he'd take up. I've never seen a situation before where a forward doesn't seem to be able to grasp the movements required by a player in his position.
- Urby: Sound replacement for Constant, I assume due to injury or tiredness.
- Pazzini: Offered a body up front towards the end.
(04-14-2014, 01:32 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: - Bonera: Some bad moments in defence made him look shaky

Fact: we won all 4 matches with him as RB (conceded only 1). So be more generous Icon_lol2
(04-14-2014, 04:25 PM)Aficio Wrote:
(04-14-2014, 01:32 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: - Bonera: Some bad moments in defence made him look shaky

Fact: we won all 4 matches with him as RB (conceded only 1). So be more generous Icon_lol2

That's why PSG are monitoring him, Silva swap Grinundwech
I am very happy with the result. This is our fourth consecutive win, with third consecutive terrible performance. This time at home, against Catania, the team who will surely be relegated and the last one in the standings.

Anyway, I prefer playing badly and winning 3 points, than playing a good football and losing, at it happened too often this season.

Let's keep wining!
More facts:
- This is the 10th clean sheet in 33 Serie A matches
- Milan scored 18 goals outside penalty area, only Real are better with 19 (top 5 leagues)
(from local facebook fanpage)

We manage to defend very well despite fielding mainly shaky defenders.
We should attack more directly, though goals from longshot are beautiful.
We've managed 10 clean sheets!? I'm astounded.

At the Bonera fact, I can only say Facepalm
I agree with Dev regarding Balotelli and his positioning. I don't know if he's trying to be an Ibra one man show but he's never in and around the box where he should be. When our players make half decent crosses, he's caught somewhere out on the wing. I understand that our attacking midfielders aren't the best but he's not helping when he spends most of his time in midfield..
Siamo a posto cosi.
If he is spending too much time in midfield it's almost as much Seedorf's job to fix as he himself. As I have said before we don't have the players for a system that is already not the best suited for decent crosses.