Jeremy Menez
It must be said that goal was a moment of genius, something Menez has always been capable of, but never done consistently. The backheel itself is what really strikes me, as it went up rather than straight back, which he clearly did intentionally knowing the keeper was trying to recover. What I don't understand is how he got it to go up like that, as I just can't get around my head how you make contact with the ball at that angle and not have it just go along the ground.
(09-15-2014, 11:40 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: It must be said that goal was a moment of genius, something Menez has always been capable of, but never done consistently. The backheel itself is what really strikes me, as it went up rather than straight back, which he clearly did intentionally knowing the keeper was trying to recover. What I don't understand is how he got it to go up like that, as I just can't get around my head how you make contact with the ball at that angle and not have it just go along the ground.

LOL, Dev. Icon_lol2 That's why those professional players get paid a lot of money while we just barely make a living. Icon_lol2

On your question specifically, you should hit the bottom part of the ball (even a bit of the ground in front of and underneath it), and that would send the ball up.
I understand that Xu, but the angle at which the ball went up (more up than backwards) still doesn't make sense to me lol.
Xu, You hit the top part of the ball (imagine a line horizontally on the ball dividing it in two parts....you would hit above that line. If you want to be even more precise, then divide the top half in two again horizontally and that line that divides the ball in quarters is where you should hit the ball) with a with the heel. You basically hit te ball into the ground and it bounces off of the ground. Kind of "chop" the ball back and into the ground. That's what creates the upwards motion. You have to use a bit of force to get the friction with the ground though for that ball to go that high.Of course, when you are in the moment you don't think about the physics part of it and you just do it. It comes naturally. It's actually not that difficult to do.
it looks like we will need a series of super-slo-mo, super-zoomed-in pictures to analyse his back heel kick. Icon_lol2

or we should ask Menez himself. :d
(09-16-2014, 01:02 PM)nefremo Wrote: Xu, You hit the top part of the ball (imagine a line horizontally on the ball dividing it in two parts....you would hit above that line. If you want to be even more precise, then divide the top half in two again horizontally and that line that divides the ball in quarters is where you should hit the ball) with a with the heel. You basically hit te ball into the ground and it bounces off of the ground. Kind of "chop" the ball back and into the ground. That's what creates the upwards motion. You have to use a bit of force to get the friction with the ground though for that ball to go that high.Of course, when you are in the moment you don't think about the physics part of it and you just do it. It comes naturally. It's actually not that difficult to do.

I thought that might be the case but the strange part is that chopping the ball like that normally results in a reasonable amount of backspin. When Menez connected, I didn't really see any spin.

I've watched replays again, still not really sure how he made contact with the ball though as most are poor quality or at angles (sometimes both).
The hilarious part would be if Menez really didn't put much thought into it and doesn't know how it happened (which is the case more often than not)
Siamo a posto cosi.
That's exactly right Mystik, as players don't don't think this stuff trough. It comes naturally. I played at a reasonable level (USA collegiate) and now I coach youth club teams...so when kids ask me how I did tho or that, more often then not, I have to stop and really think about it because I wasn't consciously doing it in the first place. It's the hardest part of coaching...knowing how, and then explaining to someone else. Ability to put what you know and the ideas you have in someone else's head.

Dev, as for the backspin, you are right, but that also spends on how wet (or not) te grass is. The field at Parma was damp/moist and that helped Menez's back heel quite a bit.
This is the reason Big Grin

[Image: 10635793_822148124483240_130814138380961...e=5498487D]
Right, problem solved! Devilol