Poll: Who should be next Italy NT coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Spalletti
0%
0 0%
Capello
8.33%
1 8.33%
Mancini
0%
0 0%
Zaccheroni
0%
0 0%
Ancelotti
50.00%
6 50.00%
Mazzarri
8.33%
1 8.33%
Allegri
16.67%
2 16.67%
Lippi
0%
0 0%
Seedorf Big Grin
0%
0 0%
Other
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Azzurri talk, Italy national team thread
Vote now!
Is this who we want or who is realistic?
Siamo a posto cosi.
Mazzarri, so that Seedorf can replace him in Inter Big Grin
Mystik, vote for realistic, post want Big Grin
Cannavaro volunteered himself (is he even eligible?). I would vote for Allegri though, just for the heck of it. :d
aka xudong
Not that I think it'll happen, but I voted Ancelotti. I don't think I really need to explain why given his record at club level. Alternatively and surprisingly not on the list, I'd probably consider Conte. Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think there's an odd dearth of real top quality coaches in Italy?

Ancelotti (who's been training at the top for 15 odd years now), Lippi and Capello (both of which are in the twilight of their careers) aside, I just can't think of any really great coaches in Italy at the moment. Conte might be argued, but he's yet to show anything at the highest level, only dominating in a pretty weak domestic competition. Some are doing well, such as Donadoni, Guidolin (until this past year) and Allegri, who may not be popular in Milan, but has generally proven to be relatively successful since coming through. I don't know why, to me it just feels Italian coaches these days aren't at the same level they were at just 10 years ago.

That said, maybe Conte is better than results in Europe suggest, maybe Donadoni will finally get a gig at a top club and prove himself a top coach and maybe Inzaghi will come good at Milan. Just please don't tell me Mazzari's a world class coach, I really don't see anything special about him.
Paolo Maldini.
Argentina will win the World CupĀ 2022
Formerly mzk57
What??

[Image: 10478660_721586041247397_3463520417359385143_n.png]
Mancini is now favourite according to latest reports. I don't get why, he's a mediocre coach.
(06-27-2014, 09:13 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Not that I think it'll happen, but I voted Ancelotti. I don't think I really need to explain why given his record at club level. Alternatively and surprisingly not on the list, I'd probably consider Conte. Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think there's an odd dearth of real top quality coaches in Italy?

Ancelotti (who's been training at the top for 15 odd years now), Lippi and Capello (both of which are in the twilight of their careers) aside, I just can't think of any really great coaches in Italy at the moment. Conte might be argued, but he's yet to show anything at the highest level, only dominating in a pretty weak domestic competition. Some are doing well, such as Donadoni, Guidolin (until this past year) and Allegri, who may not be popular in Milan, but has generally proven to be relatively successful since coming through. I don't know why, to me it just feels Italian coaches these days aren't at the same level they were at just 10 years ago.

That said, maybe Conte is better than results in Europe suggest, maybe Donadoni will finally get a gig at a top club and prove himself a top coach and maybe Inzaghi will come good at Milan. Just please don't tell me Mazzari's a world class coach, I really don't see anything special about him.

Agree completely on Mazzari - he did get good results with a good Napoli side, but nothing to rave on about. Plus he seems like a bit of an arse.

It is a bit sad if Mancini, Allegri and Guidolin are the front-runners. Mancini's teams have always been dreadful in knockout competitions, which is sort of what international football is about. Allegri I would prefer, but I doubt he'll excite anyone in here or elsewhere. Guidolin has done well at Udinese, but they are a small overachieving club (until this past season).

I voted for "Other", meaning Vincenzo Montella. I'm not saying he's a proven top manager, and if anything his Fiorentina side were maybe even a bit dissapointing last season (due to Rossi's injury and perhaps too many expectations). But he wants to play good football, and could carry on from Prandelli in this regard. Spalletti could also be interesting for this reason.

Another option would be to get a proven winner, but who? Lippi and Capello are too old. Lippi even failed the last time around, and Capello's sides are beyond awful to watch. Maybe if Sacchi could be convinced to come back, that would be something, but very unlikely. Plus he hasn't actually coached in years.

Then there Ancelotti, who would be the perfect choice. His sides play good football AND he wins stuff - especially in knockout competitions (whereas his league record is a bit underwhelming). But while I think he'll one day coach Italy (as he himself has said) I cannot see him leave Madrid now.

EDIT: I forgot about Conte. If we look beyond the dislike most of us have for him, he might be the most logical choice. He has won 3 scudetti in a row now and he knows the Juve players that make up the bulk of the NT better than any. That said, I really hope it's not him. He's the sorest loser I've ever seen. He makes Mourinho look gracious. Plus it's not THAT big a deal winning the scudetto when you're in charge of the best team.